Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Course ground Kielbasa  (Read 4085 times)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Something new for me.  A ten pound batch of course ground kielbasa.  Last November I bought a 10 pound tube of course ground pork.  Think I'll do it again.  I did grind it through my course plate again today.  Only thing I forgot is the mustard seeds I thought I had on hand.  Oh well.  Added a tablespoon and a half of crushed red pepper to just give it a tad of heat and not take away the flavor.  Also as usual extra garlic which I'm addicted to when making sausage.  Curley's kielbasa mix, 3 cups of beer, and 2 cups of dry powdered milk.  Will stuff it tomorrow.  good luck.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
RH, I gotsa question... I got some pork sausage (bulk) from a friend (around 10 pounds)
If I grind it again with some venison burger, will it get to fine? Like a paste?
Or should I just mix it together by hand in a bowl?

Just looking for options....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I'm assuming that both were already ground with a medium blade or smaller.  So i would just mix by hand.  Grinding once more would ruin the texture.   good luck.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'm not sure what they grind venison burger (straight venison) at, or the pork sausage......Just don't want it the texture to be like paste.

Maybe mix it 1/2 and 1/2 by hand and see what happens.....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
That's what I would do.  I think if you ground it It would ruin the whole deal.  When I made hot dogs for my grand kids I did grind the meat twice with the medium plate.  It was hell getting the stuff through the grinder the final step and took time.  Texture was like the skinnless hot dogs you buy.  Not for me and would not be good for burgers for sure.  good luck.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Thanks bud....I'll give it a try.   :happy1:
« Last Edit: October 10/15/19, 05:49:35 PM by HD »

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yup i agree, one can grind to much.. i gota get on my bear sausage
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Lookin' Good RH!
I love Curly's stuff, but the Homemade Kielbasa mix recipe that you have on your site is dynamite and has become my go-to base when making my own at home.  Let us know how this mix compares.

I haven't made any sausage for about a year and need to get movin'  Hopefully hunting season will make it more of a necessity than a desire! I'm taking my 11 year old on his first official youth hunt this weekend. but we'll only be out for 3 hrs on Sat morning because he has hockey. Should be about right for his attention span, anyway. If he does bag one, we'll be skipping hockey - he'll get to experience his first deer drag!

Good luck finishing off that Kielbasa, post pics of the final product!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya Thunder,  I think this is a new seasoning from Curley's so that's why I tried it and only got a 10 pound seasoning pack.  I made the grind all course to give it that "real" old fashion kielbasa look and texture.  Have to stuff it tomorrow.  No time today.  I will post the finished pics.  good luck.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I like old fashioned ring bologna.  Have made Curley's a few times and it is pretty good but too salty.  I do like their ring bologna casings.  Wish I knew a recipe that wasn't so salty.  Maybe this new Kielbasa would work in a ring casing.  Curious to see how you like it RH.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i just hog casing for ring and brauts.
78.50"

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The ring casings are kind of fun to use.  Makes a real nice ring that weighs about 1 1/4 lbs when nice and full.  I use hog casings for things too.  I'm about out so I need to get ready to make a batch of something. 
« Last Edit: October 10/16/19, 02:49:54 PM by LPS »

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
huh, ive never used casingsnspecificaly ment for ring ablony
78.50"

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Never heard of ring casings but I'll have to check them out.  I just make rings from the hog casings.  LPS, sure you can make rings from kielbasa or polish also.  As far as too salty I always say that everyone has a different tollerance for salt or any other spice.  For me I didn't notice that it was too salty in the ring bolo seasoning, but I sure can see it can be there for others.  I'll find out tomorrow when I stuff the kielbasa and fry a sample patty.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I sure would love to watch you guys make those someday!  :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The ring casings already have a curve to them and have a string tied to one end of each one.  Just soak for half hour and they are ready to go and are real tough casings.  Easy to work with.  I get the Curleys 25 lb Ring Bologna kit so casings come along with the spices.  I make 12.5 lbs per batch.  If you soak too many casings you just let them dry and then store them.  I don't know if our tastes have changed or what.  We both think the last batch was real salty.  Good to have with Bush's beans to balance it out.  The more this thread goes the more excited I am to make sausage.  I have just been buying ground beef or pork and using it as is with no more grinding.  Just mix well and make sausage.   :sleazy:  I really do enjoy it. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
SO basically you can get by with just a stuffer to get into making your own.  Just buy ground meat to use in your sausage Rebs. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Boy, could I run with THAT one!!!  :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I don't eat enough snausage to bother with...I'd make like 6 links and call it good.
« Last Edit: October 10/16/19, 05:31:51 PM by Rebel SS »

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
sounds like callogen casing for summer sausage. tied at one end, soak in water.  i like the hog casings. im just not realmgood qt making links. gona make polish soon  and will end up tieing rings, so it will be ring polish balloney sausage meat stuff. i guesse.
78.50"

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Kielbasa is done.   I added 1 T crushed red pepper, 2 cups powdered milk, and extra garlic to your taste.  10 pounds I made.  it was course ground and the heat was just right and the flavor came through.  The course ground gives you the texture of old school kielbasa.  good luck.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Man them look good!!👍
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh Man does that look good. 

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
great job as allways!!
78.50"

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
RH I hope you don't mind me just talking sausage here but I thought it would fit right in.  I emaled Curleys the other day and told them how salty the Ring Bologno seems to us now.  He got right back to me and said just put less of their spice mix in with the meat.  BUT still put the appropriate amount of cure in.  DUH!!  I should have thought of that.  LOL  SO just as we like to add other things to our sausage batches, we don't have to use all of the spice package if desired.  I have also heard that sugar mellows too much salt.  Maybe that would help me too??

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
You know I don't know about sugar mellowing out salt.  Sounds like it would but would it change the flavor.  I would try a 10 pound pack the next time and maybe put 3/4 of the pack in the 10 pound batch.  Making large batches and mixing by hand also [if not mixed well] could leave uneven parts of the batch with more of the seasoning than the other parts.  Not saying that's what happened but it's a possibility.  If Curly says use less than that's what I would do.  Is this just with the ring bolo seasoning or have you experienced this with other seasoning packs?  I'm starting to go with smaller batches now.  It's easier for me and I'm starting to have my daughter make her own so I don't have to make large batches anymore.   As I said before, I haven't had that happen to me.  But everyone's taste's is different.  I had a friend of mine today that said his favorite sausage that I have given him was the ring bologna.  But I add mustard seeds and extra garlic to it.  So I don't know if that takes away from some of the salt?  good luck.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's what I was kind of thinking for an amount too.  I usually buy 25 lb kits and then everything is there, casings and all.  I cut it in half and make 12.5 lb batches.  I have a stainless mixer and Curleys mixes can all be mixed in a stainless mixer.  High Mountain mixes you can't use a stainless mixer.  I found out the hard way.  I will let you know how it works.  I too will add mustard seeds and garlic.  I do your milk thing too.   :happy1: