Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Meat mixer???  (Read 4942 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I bought a meat mixer while back.  Really mixes the meat up nicely.  You have to turn it what feels backwards to get the meat to mix nicely.  Well you may remember a year ago I made a High Mountain mix of summer sausage and I ended up throwing it out.  I mixed it in my SS meat mixer.  Now I am gun shy to use it.  SO does High Mountain use something in their recipes that we don't usually use that causes this metal taste problem?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
It's this, Barry......from the High Mountain instruction booklet.....read first 2 sentences...meat will pick up flavor from metal, like aluminum, but not stainless steel.

https://www.himtnjerky.com/instructions/Instr_Sausage.Mahog.pdf
« Last Edit: October 10/12/18, 12:50:40 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i agree, i dont recall haveing any metel taste from my mixernt9n5uenpointn9fnthrowing it out, but i feel i do get better product mixing in a plastic tub by hand, i put on dish washing glove tonstave off thencold mea
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
It's this, Barry......from the High Mountain instruction booklet.....read first 2 sentences...

man thats odd considering stainless is typically required for anything food grade??????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
locker plants always mixers to get it done..??
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yeah glenn but some of these cheaper knock off in thenstores like scheels have an aloy mettel its grey in color not true stainless.
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
It's this, Barry......from the High Mountain instruction booklet.....read first 2 sentences...

man thats odd considering stainless is typically required for anything food grade??????

Read it again. You're all jumping the gun. Well, not Boar.
« Last Edit: October 10/12/18, 12:52:42 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yeah glenn but some of these cheaper knock off in thenstores like scheels have an aloy mettel its grey in color not true stainless.
valid point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Read it again. You're all jumping the gun. Well, not Boar.
only thing i'd like to jump is todays fish.........er never mind!!!!!!!!!! :hubba: :sleazy:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Mine is supposed to be stainless but it is not as shiny as my stuffer is.  It is chrome looking and like Boar said my mixer is not as shiny.  I wonder which of the additives draws the metal taste?  Maybe High Mountain is the only ones that use that chemical. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's why I have glass mixing bowls, from small to really large. Plastic tubs are used in butcher shops, too. Grab one of those from your friendly butcher...the food grade white ones.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yup i avree with reb, stainless grinder on right, stainless aloy mixer on left, ever notice even on the blades and and auger of yur grinder thats of alloy metel, the grey wraped up left over meat? yuck, alloy particles.

[attachment deleted by admin]
78.50"

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a cabelas stainless mixer and i don't get a metal taste. At hunting camp we have a big commercial stainless steel mixer and get no metal taste there either. We do though usually mix our own seasonings. Maybe that is the difference.
« Last Edit: October 10/12/18, 01:37:17 PM by Jerkbiat »
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
The salt and any acid type seasonings can pit non-stainless and can give an off-taste to the meat. I learned that while I worked at the butcher shop. Rub your hands around in a cheap metal pan, then see if your hands smell metallic. We all know salt pits aluminum wheels..... They sell stainless steel chunks for chef's to rub their hands on and remove smells.

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/11052140457577475594_17389293850408390849_10046?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_prop&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt,eid-4160052&gtim=CNbv1f_P8NT1hgEQq8m_2tz0pNy1ARiw0aoDIgNVU0QokLaf3gUwvk4&utm_campaign=10046&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9qWAvseB3gIVFHdeCh0ANAjHEAkYASABEgJSB_D_BwE
« Last Edit: October 10/12/18, 01:45:00 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The salt and any acid type seasonings can pit non-stainless and can give an off-taste to the meat. I learned that while I worked at the butcher shop. Rub your hands around in a cheap metal pan, then see if your hands smell metallic. We all know salt pits aluminum wheels..... They sell stainless steel chunks for chef's to rub their hands on and remove smells.

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/11052140457577475594_17389293850408390849_10046?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_prop&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt,eid-4160052&gtim=CNbv1f_P8NT1hgEQq8m_2tz0pNy1ARiw0aoDIgNVU0QokLaf3gUwvk4&utm_campaign=10046&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9qWAvseB3gIVFHdeCh0ANAjHEAkYASABEgJSB_D_BwE
material says stainless steel.................what alloy???????????? duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
The only hi mountain I've tried is fer jerky which is real good. Most seasonings fer snausage has been curly's so far. Sorry I didn't read any of the links but I always spray all the moving parts before using and storing. But I'm sure the cheap unit I use is probably throwing off some sorta not so good for one taste as well..

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I used Curly's sausage mixes and like them.  I emailed them and they responded last night.  His name is Kevin.  He said they have used metal mixers for 40 years and never had a problem.  He doesn't know why High Mtn. has the big words NO METAL CONTAINERS on their mixes.  They must use something reactive in their mixes.  I do use plastic lugs for the meat.  Maybe I will spray the mixer with PAM or something like that before I mix meat.  That may help.  I will use Curly's mixes again then.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: October 10/13/18, 08:44:57 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I use the same mixer that Boar posted, with the same mix in question and never noticed any off flavors? Good information though.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Prolly fake news.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I use the same mixer that Boar posted, with the same mix in question and never noticed any off flavors? Good information though.

You probably wash your hands before working with it.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
cheeze first post in how long from cooper and u guys chase hjm of. cheese.
78.50"

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
say what?????????   that's what any one would do????????????????

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i know.. i teasing...
78.50"

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Delfart said it. He started it. And he was whacking you.  😜  :bonk:
« Last Edit: October 10/15/18, 06:57:28 AM by Rebel SS »