Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's that noise?  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
While driving Mr. Sparkles around today, heard an intermittent buzzing/vibrating type noise.
That stuff drives me nuts; anything mechanical like that I have to fix right now.
Since a rattling/buzzing noise is usually caused by the catalytic converter heat shields popping a spot weld, (they're all notorious for that) I hopped on the creeper and slid under him, tapping around with the hard rubber mallet. (that prevents anything from "clanging", making it easier to find the problem) Muffler and drive shields fine; catalytic heat shield fine, got up to the crossover pre-converter pipe, and *bwang*bwang* Yup, the danged UPPER heat shield had a broken a 1/2'' spot welded band around it; one end was free and "twanging" along with that end of the shield. Nipped it off, and put a 5" worm-gear clamp up and over the shield. THAT was fun.  $#@!  (Tip: Use a socket on extension in cordless drill on the end of worm gear drive screw; not a screwdriver in the slot)  Problem solved. WTH they even put these little spot welds on sheet metal shields that gets hotter than a cow is beyond me... :angry:
« Last Edit: August 08/15/18, 07:48:53 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good job Rebs.  I hate squeeks too.  Feels good to find them and fix the issue.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Like you, I am also a little anal about clunks and rattles.  I had been fighting a clunking sound that emitted from the right front of my pickup since last fall.  I occurred when going over small bumps (like cracks in a tar road). Several weeks ago while riding shotgun with my son I held my ear to every place I could trying to pin down the clunk. I sounded like two fairly heave metal pieces, not tin or plastic, bouncing off each other.  The next day I jammed paper between any two spots that could cause the noise, no help.  Then a bit of luck, as I was going into my land (the last 2 1/2 miles is just an access "road".  This terrain caused the clunking to be almost constant.  I stopped and intended to drive from the passenger seat to help get an idea of where to look.  Because the trail is narrow and I stopped near a ditch, I placed my hand on the running board (round chrome pipe) to help get out of the ditch and it moved.  Eureka, the rail was loose from the supports.  I jammed a branch in between the two and have not heard the clunking since.  I know this is a long story and probably bored most of you to death, but for me it was satisfying moment.  Maybe only Rebel SS will understand.   :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I do! I love those stories! Used to be a column in the paper that would present an automotive problem, you were to figure it out, and the next week they posted the answer. I loved that. Ya ever watch GearZ TV show with Stacey Davids? Great show.  My most memorable prob like that was when I was in HS and had my first car, a '64 Belair 4 door. Every time I'd floor it, (which was all the time) the gear shift lever (It was an automatic), would pop outta gear into neutral.....long story short, broken motor mount, causing engine to raise and part of it to hit the shift linkage, knocking it out.  Maybe we should have an automotive thread.... :azn:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

(Just kiddin' DE)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't you have haveta go rub yer Chihuahua down, or something?   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: August 08/16/18, 09:10:58 AM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
While driving Mr. Sparkles around today, heard an intermittent buzzing/vibrating type noise.
That stuff drives me nuts; anything mechanical like that I have to fix right now.
Since a rattling/buzzing noise is usually caused by the catalytic converter heat shields popping a spot weld, (they're all notorious for that) I hopped on the creeper and slid under him, tapping around with the hard rubber mallet. (that prevents anything from "clanging", making it easier to find the problem) Muffler and drive shields fine; catalytic heat shield fine, got up to the crossover pre-converter pipe, and *bwang*bwang* Yup, the danged UPPER heat shield had a broken a 1/2'' spot welded band around it; one end was free and "twanging" along with that end of the shield. Nipped it off, and put a 5" worm-gear clamp up and over the shield. THAT was fun.  $#@!  (Tip: Use a socket on extension in cordless drill on the end of worm gear drive screw; not a screwdriver in the slot)  Problem solved. WTH they even put these little spot welds on sheet metal shields that gets hotter than a cow is beyond me... :angry:
i just assumed clunks, vibration, buzzing and rattlin came standard equipment on a ford!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :dancinred: :dancinred: :rocker; :rocker; :nerd: :nerd: :super smiley: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Why you little........!!! :taz: I'll shake you like a rag doll until YOU vibrate, buzz, rattle, and roll!! :moon: training-087

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 08/16/18, 06:38:40 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Did the neighbor lady leave one of her toys in der?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Did the neighbor lady leave one of her toys in der?

I dunno, but if I find a blue smurf "rocket ship" thingie in there, I'm runnin' like heck.

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Got to let all da air outta Glenn's blowup doll under the seat ??

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Like you, I am also a little anal about clunks and rattles.  I had been fighting a clunking sound that emitted from the right front of my pickup since last fall.  I occurred when going over small bumps (like cracks in a tar road). Several weeks ago while riding shotgun with my son I held my ear to every place I could trying to pin down the clunk. I sounded like two fairly heave metal pieces, not tin or plastic, bouncing off each other.  The next day I jammed paper between any two spots that could cause the noise, no help.  Then a bit of luck, as I was going into my land (the last 2 1/2 miles is just an access "road".  This terrain caused the clunking to be almost constant.  I stopped and intended to drive from the passenger seat to help get an idea of where to look.  Because the trail is narrow and I stopped near a ditch, I placed my hand on the running board (round chrome pipe) to help get out of the ditch and it moved.  Eureka, the rail was loose from the supports.  I jammed a branch in between the two and have not heard the clunking since.  I know this is a long story and probably bored most of you to death, but for me it was satisfying moment.  Maybe only Rebel SS will understand.   :rotflmao:

I have ran into a few noises with the boys new chebby truck (new to him) one was a heat sheild, and the other was hanging wire in da radiator hitting the fan......
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think there's probably more trucks runnin' around with torn off heat shields than not. They should just leave 'em off. Or....Rebco Heat shield Repair Kit! Universal fit! Includes free sound deadener pad! Operators are standing by! Call within the next 20 mns and.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: August 08/17/18, 07:17:57 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd just turn the radio up. However with my last Ford the volume wouldn't go high enough.