Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Land of the deer  (Read 3869 times)

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
No Im not talking about MN but instead Mazatlan Mexico.  I forgot to mention this to everyone when I got back from my recent trip.  We were on a city tour when the tour guide told us that Mazatlan means "Land of the deer."  I didn't see any live ones while I was there but I did see many statues and bought a small wooden deer carving.  Also there are many superstitions and one of them has to do with the deer.

El Vanado Magico (The Magical Deer)
by Santos Daniel Carrillo

The magical deer represents both the power of maize to sustain the body and of the peyote cactus to feed and enlighten the spirit.  (The green spiralling circles on the body are maize cobs seen on-end, and the eye is the peyote cactus.)
     Animals such as the eagle, jaguar, serpent, and the deer are of great importance for the Mexican indigenous cultures.  For each group, however, one of these animals is of special signigicance and this confers some of its qualities on the tribe.  For the Huichol it is the deer that holds this intimate role.  The character of the Huichol as a group tends to be light, flexible, and humerous.  They have avoided open warfare, neither fighting against the Spanish nor for the Mexican government but always maintained their traditions.
     The Huichol hunt and sacrifice deer in their ceremonies.  They make offerings to the Deer of the Miaze tocare for their crops, and to the Deer of the Peyote to bring them spiritual guidance and artistic inspiration.

I don't have picture right now but will get one soon.
Grute
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
OK here's the picture on a t=shirt.  The eye of the deer represents the peyote flower and the swirls on the body represent maize. 

If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
looks like they take that Peyote serious down there
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Enough peyote and you'll see some magical deer alright!!!!
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Interesting Grute, thanks for sharing.