Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: My Daughter  (Read 3478 times)

Offline MnMoose

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Ok Ladies I need some input...And guys too, whatever

My 8 year old daughter Meghan came to me with great interest in a bow this past weekend.  Now Meghan loves hunting, outdoors, and watches all the hunting shows on TV with me, heck shes even helped me skin and watched me butcher deer.  She's I think hooked but I am leary of making the investment.  One, I am not an avid bowhunter.  Two, she is only Eight.  Three, I would hate to see her lose interest after I spend a lot of money. 
What would you do???

Offline antlermass

• Outdoorsman
My thoughts would be this:
Walmart carries some bear bows or something like that (good little starter bow for youngens), they run from 50-100 bucks, they ALWAYS go about half prices after riffle season or so (keep on watching if it goes on sale), wait it out a bit and see how interested she is.  Then if she still seems interested in a few weeks go get her a bow! (would make a great christmas gift).
The poundage is adjustable so it will work for the next few years, see how it goes and then dive in a buy her a better bow!

My daughter will have one at eight, even if she is not intersted at the time, at least I gave her the opportunity to try it with something that fits her!
Even if they get discouraged and put the bow down for a few years, they will always have the chance at anytime to pick it up and try again!
« Last Edit: November 11/03/08, 07:42:05 PM by antlermass »

Offline antlermass

• Outdoorsman
cabela's also carries a bear kids bow for under a hundred

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0004391415889a.shtml

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
We have some experts from MNArch here on the site.  Send them a pm and they will give you some advice.  I am sure they get similar questions from others.   The picture of the week this week is Matt from MNArch.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Strike while the iron is hot my friend.  Get her a starter bow with the fiberglass arrows -- you've seen the ones with the permanent field tips.  Just get her shooting and if you get yourself a decent used bow to shoot with her, she'd love it.  Just to do something with Dad is cool to them.  Now if she does archery with Dad, there could be a natural progression to hunting.  So if you're not a big bow hunter, this will give you 3 or 4 years to get better too.

Go for it but just go with starter equipment for now.  HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grute
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline MnMoose

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks for all the input everyone!!! Is there anything from a womans perspective?
You guys are all rockstars!!!

Offline antlermass

• Outdoorsman
Hmmm.... Well you see my profile picture... I'm the one on the right!!  Just to inform ya'all if your confused!!

But yes, I talked to a couple mother friends of mine and they said the same thing, take a little $50.00 to $100.00 dollar plunge just so she can check it out now since she is interested!
Also, maybe there is something online for bigger kid toys, more on the plastic line of things, but that way you wouldn't be spending a big chunk of money off the bat.

I was going to add, every bow shop I walk into there are always starter bows there on trade in, maybe you could find an archery shop with an indoor range and let her try and launch a few arrows right there before you buy it and see what she thinks.

Offline MnMoose

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks everyone...I did some research and went to a local shop..and bought a cute little bowtech jr for her.  I also ran into a gentleman who was willing to guide her along as well as me for education and proper etiquite.  You guys are awesome  I hope she will like it I think I am more excited than she is now!!