Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's the best color of worm you throw?  (Read 5826 times)

Offline Jdrummer

• Master Outdoorsman
I think my best color is neon (black with red fleck) or straight white in colder water .
Pratice doesn't make perfect, Perfect pratice makes perfect!

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
Selecting one color would be tough.  I like the Original 7.5" Culprit worm. I guess my goto color would be Pumpkinseed/Chartreuse Tail. Other worms that usually produce for me are Grape Shad, Red Shad, and Watermelon Pepper.
« Last Edit: April 04/11/09, 01:17:30 AM by Joe »
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline sjohnnie26

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
White or off-white and neon green
"AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL"  -Jeff Simpson

Offline kgauker7

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
black or i forget the color but it was something like green pumpkinseed

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I used to have a system where all my plastics were of three colors. Yellow, black or white. Now with the plastics you have a hard time finding those colors. I have just been getting stuff that seems to be somewhat of a natural color. I don't use that many worms, I seem to use lizzard plastics or better yet the creyfish. They creyfish seem to be the best. They are hard to find but the ones impregnated with air so they float with a #2 weedless hook seem to work best for the way I fish. I have a bullet weight ahead of them about 6" and just bounce off the bottom and snap through the weeds. Seem to get bigger fish being deeper.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Grape-Purple fleck-Green all the rest just sit in the tackle box.
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Cherryseed GULP turtleback worm!!!! No weight. KILLS EM!
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882

Offline STP Fisherman

• Outdoorsman
Watermelon or pumpkin, hands down.

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
depends on the water clarity you always want the most relistic worm for the water your fishing but once in a while its fun to throw and odd ball out and see if you get any hits i have had most of my luck i a clear/dull worm riged wacky
Hunting is not life and death. It is more important than that.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Purple with a green tail. Or any combination of those colors with or without each other. Also, add some shiny speckles or whatever you want to call them.   

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
If I have to go bright, I will throw a green.  But i prefer the Blood worm color.... DARK red/maroon with some black/brown mixed in.  Purple can be substituted for the red also. 
I dont fish Bass with plastics much, but those are the colors when I do.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
    Way too much info!   If you want to break it down try this.

1.  Sinker (salted)
      2.  Floater
      3.  Dark
      4.  light     

1 and 2 are the most important.  Water clarity decides 2 and 3.   Keep it simple..   A salted worm will not do what you want on a shakey head,you want a floater.  A salted worm will be an awesome wacky style rig.  They are heavy and can be fished with a plain hook with no weight. 

Look at it this way- 2 screwdrivers (standard and Phillips), a crescent wrench, a hammer and a knife can get you through a lot of projects.  Keep it simple.

Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I never use plastic worms, only plastic I use are twister tails and I keep it simple with Chartreuse, Chartreuse, Chartreuse, and I little white every now and then. I do a good mixture of Mississippi Fishing and lake fishing and since I was younger I have always used Chartreuse and never had any problems with it whether it be cold or hot and clear or muddy.

Offline bobbers_down

• Outdoorsman
If I had to pick one, I would go with dark reds/maroons with green fleck.  It seems to work the best in moderately clear, weedy lakes for me.
"If all politicians fished instead of spoke publicly, we would be at peace with the world." - Will Rogers

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008 & 2011 MNO Fishing Challenge Champs!
I use whatever color they are when they come out of the ground, but they are not plastic.
You never see a FLAG BURNING at a GUN SHOW.