Minnesota Outdoorsman - Minnesota Fishing and Hunting Reports
OPENING BOW SEASON STARTS SEPT 13TH

Support Our Troops

Author Topic: trespassing  (Read 1828 times)

Offline MNBucKKiller

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Re: trespassing
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 09:56:35 AM »
I've been in the situation before, I shot a doe on our land crossed the driveway into my neibours land (who is totally against hunting, which has led to problems before).  I just looked for it I never asked but it was clearly shot on our side of the fence because the fence was plastered in blood... if he would've confronted me I would have called a local CO or shariff and check out my options from there.  Legal or not I didn't care.

My motto- what he doesn't know won't hurt them :)

Offline KTapper

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 10:01:41 AM »
I wouldn't have asked either because you don't have too. Plus you want to get to that deer as fast as you can before something else does.  :fudd:

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 10:14:06 AM »
I don't know if it is still this way but it used to be that if it was agriculteral land (crop fields) the farmer didn't need to post it and if you went into the field you would be trespassing and could get fined even though there were no signs. 

I always ask before the season starts.  Makes it easier and gives you a reason to meet and  :bs: with the neighbors.  If they say no the first year, try the following year.  After a few years of  :bs: or just saying hi they might change there minds.  It doesn't cost you anything to ask and could help the relations in a few cases.
Anything thats free is worth saving up for.

Offline beeker

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 05:56:45 PM »
I wouldn't stop someone from finding their deer i would probably help em.. in wisconsin 2 years in a row I finished the neighbors kids doe off for him... (different topic)..   

I've been reading up on this and the trespassing law is so freakin open ended in it's wording that it would be difficult to enforce in some situations.  in one part it states that for agricultural purposes a fence is sufficient to indicate no trespassing. but then it goes on to say it should be posted in the corners and round and round. for me personally I try to be a good neighbor and expect the same courtesy from my neighbors when it comes to tresspassing. but it would be nice to have a law in place that is clear and protects both parties involved.

In my searching I found that there is also a law that protects land owners from liability if they allow a hunter to use their property and they were to be injured. which I didn't know about before. (604a.20 is the law if you care)
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 12:13:47 PM »
I have the number right on my signs. If one of the neighbors shoots a deer I would like a call first. This year I found human tracks going across my land that were following a blood trail and didn't receive a call. It just pissed me off thats all. Just takes a couple seconds to call.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline beeker

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 06:25:50 PM »
my buddy just put up his first trail cam.. (didn't tell the neighbors) they hunted his place all week long.. then on the weekends when he was there they were freindly. he said next year he's going to show up during the week just after shooting time when they're in his stands.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 12:24:15 PM »
We just got permission to hunt 100 acres in Red Wing, The elderly lady that owns the property has been problems with trespassers. We want to post the property, I checked the DNR site and cant find the posting info. I thought it was every 1000 feet. Any info from you land owners?

thanks
randy

Offline schwinger

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 12:47:36 PM »
(4) either:

(i) are at intervals of 1,000 feet or less along the boundary of the area, or in a wooded area where boundary lines are not clear, at intervals of 500 feet or less; or

(ii) mark the primary corners of each parcel of land and access roads and trails at the point of entrance to each parcel of land except that corners only accessible through agricultural land need not be posted.

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 12:57:46 PM »
Thanks!

randy

Offline beeker

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 11:19:24 PM »
randy... this is copied out of the reg book.. also it says that agriculture land that is fence does not need to have signs posted. 

to be legally posted, land must have signs:

posted once each year that state “no trespassing” or similar terms
either:
 1) along the boundaries every 1,000 feet or less, or in wooded
areas where boundaries are less clear, at intervals of 500 feet or less; or
2) at the primary corners of each parcel of land and at access roads
and trails at points of entrance to each parcel, except corners only
accessible through agricultural land need not be posted.
—with lettering at least 2 inches high and the signature or the legible
name and telephone number of the owner,occupant,lessee, or authorized
manager. An unauthorized person may not post land with signs
prohibiting outdoor recreation or trespass.
• Notification to stay off private land, authorization to remove a sign
posted to prevent trespass, or legal permission to enter private
land or to take wild animals near occupied buildings or corrals, may only be
given by the owner,occupant,or lessee.

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 07:54:37 AM »
Thanks!

randy