Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Longest you've tracked a deer?  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Moving2thecountry

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Curious to read about the longest you've had to track a wounded deer.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
My cousin shot a doe a couple years back (in the afternoon).  It wasn't a very good shot.  We let her lay over night then started tracking the next morning and spent about 5-6 hours before we caught up to her and finished her off.  She circled over and over the blood trail during the night.  Which made tracking difficult at times.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
2.3 miles based on my GPS.  Never found my 8 pointer.    :cry:
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
Tracked a yearling for about a mile before putting one through her head.
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline huntingfreak_09

• Outdoorsman
  • My 2010 Camp Ripley 8pt!
not happy to say but close to 4 miles it was not good and not fun... i was sweating, tired, pissed off, and sad cuz it was me and my dad n grandpa he was 71 and the look on my grandpas face was not one i want to see again he wasnt happy with us....and long story short if we didnt have a tace of snow we would have been lost as much as we wanted to get this deer outa the woods it didnt happen i was only 13 and not strong enought to help drag and it was through a giant thicket and dusk out, and my grandpa gave us an ultimatum eaither we leave it and let mother nature do its thing or i die draging it outa here it was an easy choice to make...but i hated seein it go i have never done such a thing ive never want and wast n never will but i wasnt goin to put my grandpa through it its not worth it.
LETS DO WORK!!

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
I have been lucky enough to not have to track any of my deer too far.  Most run less than 100 yards, I had one that went probably 150 yards and it wrapped itself around a tree.  Had a few drop in its tracks.  KNOCK ON WOOD  :bonk:  :banghead: that it continues and I wont have to track any deer too far.
I did track a potential deer for quite a long time, but we only found a few drops of blood and realized the hit must have just been a grave - so we gave up.  I think the buck I shot this year was that same buck... (no one knows for sure though).

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
a doe last year during bow season, what i thought was a good hit, and the blood indicated that it was a good hit, i let her go for only 45 minutes because it was farely warm outside. started on her trail with good blood for about 75 yards then it slowed down some, then stopped all together, i circled the area and found a few huge puddles of blood with a few drops coming up to it and a few going away from it, then it was gone for good. i went a total of about 450 yards, never did find the deer, was really really frusterated about that.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The longest track (time not distance) I've experienced happened about 15 years ago tracking a buck wounded by a fellow hunter on opening morning.  The tracking didn't cover much distance but it took full week to complete.  The wounded buck went into a 40 acre area that had been logged 4-5 years prior.   The popple regen was as thick as dog hair.  No snow so tracking (after the first day) was mostly by foot prints and turned up leaves.  Several of us took part in the tracking.  We would see the deer on occasion but never could get a killing shot.  Mid week I took up the trail (last person to see the deer would mark the spot) and found I could follow where he went by watching where his antlers rubbed on the popples.  When he pushed his way through the thick popple gorwth, his antler would leave a mark on the soft bark.  I did see him but again was not able to get a shot.  On the last Sunday of the 9 day season,  a couple of us went on stands and my nephew went in after him.  We heard shots a couple times and then the deer finally broke out of the popples, crossed a small swamp and ran into my uncle who finished him off.  The original shot hit the deer in the hind quarters.     
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***