Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Not much activity going on in here!  (Read 6946 times)

Offline KTapper

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hows everyone been doing so far this season?

I haven't been out as much as I have liked, but when I have gone out I have done alright. This year my game plan was to pick a few specific lakes and really focus on learning the ins and outs of the lakes. I am mainly trolling cranks (which is my favorite) and I have recently started doing a little bit more rigging. I am usually fishing between 9-25+ FOW.

Anyone else have a game plan that they have been sticking to?

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Im with you, I havent been out as much as I would have liked, but I have been fishing a bit none the less.  When I am down in Winona I have been throwing cranks from the shore and catching anything that bites, I have caught 3 walleyes, but also alot of pike, bass, gars and sheepheads (Keeps me busy). 
I hope to get out on the Lake and do some bass fishing in the weeds - too hard to target walleye on Lake Winona.

Offline Tyler Rother

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I'd love to say I'm catching fish but I don't have much right now. No boat makes it difficult with the weed growth along lake edges. Anyone got an extra seat ever in the south Metro, I'm in!

Mem weekend is the only time I've caught fish...a 17 3/4" crappie, snakes, and small bass.

Times I do go to my cabin the fishing been horrid or else the weather has been.

Hope to get out some more, gotta get a fish for the contest~

Tyler

Offline KTapper

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
17 3/4" crappie

That is a fish of a lifetime congrats! Mounting it?

Offline KTapper

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Offline Tyler Rother

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Of course. :p Just need to get my 30+ inch walleye again. Got it up to the boat last summer on LotW and the plug hit the boat motor and out it came.

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
too hard to target walleye on Lake Winona.

Why is that?

Its a smaller lake with alot of deep holes, I like to troll points, but the points are only 6-8 feet deep, IDK, just not my type of fishing.  I slip bobbered from shore last year and actually did pretty well with walleyes, caught about a dozen over a week period, not fishing too hard.

I like to target the river, alot more species and the fish tend to be bigger.  

I was fighting something today for about an hour and a half before it went in a shallow weed bed and forced me to snap my line  :censored:  :censored: .  Im pretty sure it was a Gar, but who knows, it was easily 20+ pounds though whatever it was, and thats a big ass gar -  but I can land 10+lb pike my pole no problem and this fish was a fighter, also thinking sheephead or dogfish.... still dont know for sure what it was - hit my FireTiger shad rap and ran down stream, I should have just fough it and staying in one place, but instead I went with it down the shoreline, OH WELL.  :doah:
« Last Edit: June 06/28/10, 07:52:27 PM by mtcommer3518 »

Offline KTapper

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I wouldnt rule out a big old flathead I know people that have caught them on cranks. I dont think it could have been a bowfin I have a lot of experience with those buggers. But you also could have snagged something.

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
I wouldnt rule out a big old flathead I know people that have caught them on cranks. I dont think it could have been a bowfin I have a lot of experience with those buggers. But you also could have snagged something.

I thought about that, that I snagged something, but it definitely felt like a hit, but who really knows, I figure if I would have snagged a gar horizontally it would have felt alot bigger than it really was.  We will never know though....  :scratch:

Offline KTapper

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yeah you're right we will never know... But that's the reason why we all fish because you really never know what you might catch next!

Offline prosupermag

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • 2013 DDS Multi Species Side Bet Challenge Winner
I would go with the flathead idea we have caught them casting raps on the river around here one 2 years ago was 42 lbs caught by a friend of mine

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
for sure not much action.... Bound to be something.  Trout?  Willow Creek?