Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Wife's first deer  (Read 3286 times)

Offline steiny

• Outdoorsman
Friday night I took my wife and daughter out hunting from a ground blind that I set up earlier that morning over our only food plot.  I knew we would see deer as there has been a doe and her fawns out there every night.
It wasn't 2minutes after I got the double bull blind zipped up behind us and the fawns came out 10 yards from us.  They knew something was wrong, but didn't spook.  Actually, my daughter started laughing and they just stiffened up, stared at us and then went back to eating.  They hung out the whole time.  45 minutes into the night a young six that I have seen several times decided to come out.
I looked at my wife and her eyes were like saucers.  I told her if she wanted him, shoot him.  She drew back, I said 25 and whap!  She smoked him.  The fawns never left!  We waited 30 minutes and I got up and walked out to pick up her arrow, the fawns just walked off like nothing was wrong.
It took some tracking - but he's dead!  I had a couple happy girls on my hands!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
GREAT job :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :green archer:
thanks for sharing.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Congrats to all. Sounds like you made a good plan. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline BiggA

• Master Outdoorsman
Congrats!  :toast:

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
VERY NICE SUCCESS!   :green archer:

Sounds like it was a great family outing with your wife and daughter.   :happy1:

Offline ovation62

• Outdoorsman
That is a great looking deer congrads, and you little one looks so cute and happy..
Wow that is so cool she got to be with you both and see how it all take place..very cool

Offline MNBucKKiller

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Awsome!!!  very nice 6 pointer  :happy1:

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: Great job!! Creating some great memories to share for a lifetime!
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Congrats to the Wife! Sounds like you will get your daughter also hooked!

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
Hunting is not life and death. It is more important than that.

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: Do I smell back straps?
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
so steiny, how's she handling it?

is she a blabbering adict, calm and collected?
 proud and slightly bragging?

I think if my wife got one she'd be cool about it. but I'm not sure she'd be addicted.
my kids on the other hand...

now if I didn't get anything and she got something like that, I'd hear about it for a year...and I'd have to take it....for a year
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline steiny

• Outdoorsman
First off I want to thank everyone for the comments!

She's actually really good about it.  Happy to get the first one under her belt, upset she used her buck tag on such a little buck, excited to start airing out some baldies.

She knows how big the buck are in her area - she has 4 different buck coming in every night that would make book and 6 other bucks.  These 10 bucks are there everynight right after hours.  It won't be long till one makes a mistake and shows up early - I will be in there waiting for him - that is if Missy doesn't want to hunt that night!

My daughter is hooked.  I would take her more, but she's in a wheelchair and hunting a ground blind isn't the best approach to shooting the guy I am after.  But she'll be joining Mom and I at least once or twice a week.  My challenge with her is going to be the day she says she wants to shoot one.  Adaptive hunting equipement is a fortune that I don't have.  So to minimize this I bring her PVC bow and dowel arrows with and she gets to shoot at the fawns - gotta smarten up the young deer somehow!

Thanks again and get your kids and lady friends out there.  Keep the tradition going.

Offline JECAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Good work buddy.
As for the adaptive hunting equipment - you have quite the network here at your fingertips that I'm sure would band together to aid the cause! I for one without a doubt would help in anyway I could to get that pretty little lady ready and able to hunt.  :happy1:

Offline Xecute

• Outdoorsman
Thats great! Congrats to you and your family.