Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: auger question.  (Read 6265 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I have a gas powered jiffy legend ice auger. I notice I have a crack in the gas tank up by the cap where the neck meets the tank. off hand anyone know what a new tank runs???????? thinking of cleaning it up and using J-B- WELD to fix it up!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 Ya Hondo around 40 bucks Part # 4080 in Jiffy parts.
 Dont bother trying to seal the leak,I have so many glues and none worked even specialty underwater fuel tank epoxy!!!
 Look on ebay maybe you can get a deal??
LINK >>http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ice+auger+fuel+tank&clk_rvr_id=995171344003&adpos=1t1&treatment_id=7&crlp=104316927841_867&MT_ID=71&device=c&rlsatarget=kwd-33903893316&keyword=ice+auger+fuel+tank&geo_id=10232&poi=&crdt=0&ul_noapp=true
« Last Edit: March 03/10/16, 10:19:14 AM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yea but its J-B weld...........bout 8 years ago I went to change oil in my lawnmower. loosening the oil plug   that white metal the frame is made of broke off completely free. being the tight wad I am I refused to go buy a new mower. after many trips to different places an auto parts guy convinced me to try J-B weld.

so I washed and cleaned the metal thoroughly. I mean real good clean. slopped on the J-B weld propped it up to dry. doesn't drip any oil and mower still going strong.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
another auger question.................been thinking about getting one of them plastic tubes to protect the auger for quite a while now. anyone have opinions on them? pro????? con??????

guess the reason i havent pulled the pin yet is they seem bulky and kinda a pain in da arse????????

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Just takes up space, just protect the blade...and yur good ta go.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just takes up space, just protect the blade...and yur good ta go.
knda my thoughts but wanted some outside opinions if anyone's got one!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Oh, I'm sorry, Muffin Head!  :swords:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
muffin head, that just floors me everytime.. Do youknow the muffin head? yes I know the muffin head, the one on cant fish lane!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I agree with HD being one with an outside opinion, the flighting which its called, can take abuse, as along as the blades are protected your good!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh, I'm sorry, Muffin Head!  :swords:
:bonk: :bonk: :banghead: :banghead: sheez HD meant no offense! Little tender today?? :rotflmao: just wanted a few others to pipe in!! Thanks for the advice!;

Oh and boar. SHADDUPP :moon: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: December 12/21/16, 09:16:43 PM by glenn57 »

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
78.50"

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
No worries Glenn,  just try'in to help you out.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 & we all know he needs A LOT OF HELP ;D
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Northerndave

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
When I was in my 20's I purchased my first auger. It was strikemaster's competitor to jiffy's model 30. Just a straight up old fashioned Tecumseh 3 horse with all metal parts, no plastic junk (except for the tank).

10" auger, single chipper blade.

Over 20 years ago when I got that thing it was a major investment. :)

I built a wooden box that the power head went into, the box was built around the power head, it had a pilot hole for the output shaft to rest in, it held that thing perfectly safe and sound. It was mounted on my fishing skid which was like an Eskimo cargo sled, lol. We used to hit all the hard to reach destinations out on lake of the woods with snowmobiles and portables.

Anyways, my buddies always teased me about my "auger shrine" as they called it, the bomb proof auger box. lol

As the years passed, I slowly let go of my super protective tendencies with my precious auger. lol!

I did break my fuel tank once, I found a replacement tank and it's not happened since. My auger has drilled many fence post holes in the dirt, I ended up not being nice to it at all, not like my first few years with it anyways.

I've rebuilt the carb many times, a couple of years back I cracked into the gear case and put new bearings in, greased the reduction gears, cleaned the clutch etc. My oldest boy is home for the rest of the week and he just left the yard with my old auger in his truck. Headed for lake of the woods with his spear house.

That's way more story than you asked for, but no I wouldn't buy one of those plastic tube deals or any kind of modern day "Auger shrine". I wouldn't go beyond these 3 things:

1 Blade cover

2 Nylon power head cover (zip on type)

3 Pre mixed fuel such as the "true fuel" brand or one of the competitors.

The pre mix fuel is probably the nicest thing you can do for the old 2 strokers.  No ethanol.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
northern dave, now that you brought it up how tough is it to take a peak at that gear case?????? i started the ole jiffy legend last nite and wasthinkin at some point i should check that gear case out? dump some fliuds in there????????

Offline Northerndave

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I put it off for a bunch of years, but there was nothing to be afraid of once I got in there.

Mine was full of rust, it was terrible in there. Took me a few hours to clean everything up, get rid of the rust, grease it all and reassemble.

Mine works awesome now and I know everything is in good shape, lubed well, so I have good confidence in it.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
What ya use for the lube! Thinking I'll tackle that this spring!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
ive.got an old modle 30 whit head jiff, 22 years old die hard, amae description, all metel hut the tanks. id like to take a look into gear case myself..
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I hadn't used my blade cover in years.  Then I ran across it in my barn and started using it again.  I am more worried about my dogs cutting themselves on the blade than anything.  I use a longer bungie than what it came with and works ok.

Offline Northerndave

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
What ya use for the lube! Thinking I'll tackle that this spring!

I used grease, I believe it was a moly grease I used but I just gave all the gears a coat, I didn't pack it full or anything. The clutch needs to be, not greased in the drum. Lol

I just sharpened the blade on mine, it's headed to gull rock with my son tomorrow. (Lake of the woods)