Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: hows your deer herd  (Read 2713 times)

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
how is everybody's deer herd after the 2010 season any notes on buck's that made it through that your gunning for this season? i have a few that should be good shooters this fall can't wait to get the trail cam pics of the antler growth throughout the summer her i have some big changes to make to a few of the property's i will be hunting this fall and also already have a few new plots of land to scout out and see what they got i am already for the 2011 bow season can't wait to get the plots in the ground and trail cams out it's gonna be a blast
Hunting is not life and death. It is more important than that.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I haven't been to my hunting grounds since early December.  I'm counting on the dee making it on their own.  I know of several nice ones that as far as I know are still out there.  Baring a bad spring, they should be ok.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got a few cam's still out...just to lazy to go and get them I guess....

Prolly cause ice fish'in is on my mind now.....

I am planning on a few changes this year. (converting some of my food plots to standing corn)
Gotta rotate the crops, sorta speak......

I had alot of wind damage this last year, so I'll prolly be doing some clearing for new plots.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
well went and checked one of the hunting  spots for sheds yesterday and i can't belive how much deer sign is at the land i have never seen so much activity in one section of woods can't wait to see the dere herd this fall  :happy1:

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
well went and checked one of the hunting  spots for sheds yesterday and i can't belive how much deer sign is at the land i have never seen so much activity in one section of woods can't wait to see the dere herd this fall  :happy1:

What area do you hunt??

I am seeing the same thing in my area. The deer are thicker than ever!! Reason they are so thick now in my area is because they fenced off a 400 acre farm that basically borders the area I hunt. All those deer have been pushed out now and over flowed to my area. Next fall should be interesting!! Things will be different.  :happy1:

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
i am seeing most the the activity in the north branch mn area its crazy

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
MNO, can you describe what you me by the deer being forced out of the area?  Did they build a "high fence"?  What was the reason for the fence?  How did the force the deer out? 
Thanks,
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
MNO, can you describe what you me by the deer being forced out of the area?  Did they build a "high fence"?  What was the reason for the fence?  How did the force the deer out? 
Thanks,

The deer were destroying the crops so they built a deer fence. 40 acres or so has always been fenced in but this last fall they started to build it around the entire farm. They finished it in late to early January and any standing crop thats left is no longer accesible. I shed hunted there last year and found a few. Deer activity was pretty thick but now they can no longer use the area. The amount of traffic in the woods that I have access to is higher than I have ever seen it. I can't believe the actiovity i'm seeing. Hoping to find some sheds! With the eliminated crop thuis next summer and fall it should make things more interesting.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The activity in the woods is also attributed to the snow pack. The deer are browsing on trees, twigs and whatever else they can find in the woods because the snow is deep in the fields.
                                            (at least around here)
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
I haven't been back to the MN land or the WI land either.  Lots of snow in both spots.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.