Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: How to skin and gut a deer in less than 3 min.  (Read 8025 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmW87RoU7-8&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]
I would be missing fingers and would also make a mees of the deer.
« Last Edit: February 02/13/11, 11:31:07 PM by MNO »
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
You guys still think it is better to gut them in the bush?
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't gut them where I shoot them. I bring them a little closer to the farm where we don't hunt.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
that's pretty good all i can say is :censored: that was fast :happy1:
Hunting is not life and death. It is more important than that.

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
You guys still think it is better to gut them in the bush?
I don't gut them where I shoot them. I bring them a little closer to the farm where we don't hunt.

I gut mine where it drops as long as I have room to move around.  I have taken all my deer except for one on public land so I have an easier one mile drag back to the vehicle.  No ATV for this guy.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman

I gut mine where it drops as long as I have room to move around.  I have taken all my deer except for one on public land so I have an easier one mile drag back to the vehicle.  No ATV for this guy.

Me strong like chimp.....drag deer far!  :rotflmao:LOL!! JK Red :moon:.....I gut em' where they drop too. Gotta be habit I guess. I don't think it bothers other deer at all. Last year my buddy  shot two deer outta the same stand with one walking right by the earlier gut pile. I know when we downed a moose there was no dragging it anywhere without gutting it, but that's a different story all together.
« Last Edit: February 02/10/11, 09:49:13 AM by FireRanger »
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
i gut em were they drop. I had a spike walk up to my gutted doe the one year.. this year I dragged the kids closer to my land from the state land just because it was getting dark and I don't have an easy trail cutting across the property back there.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline supasam35

gut 'em where they drop. the only reason i would ever think about not gutting them where they drop is due to the fact that coyotes can smell that pile from a nice distance away...and if you dont want yotes scaring your deer from your stand, gut 'em in the road ditch. but on another note, any yote that comes near my stand is taking an arrow from the hoyt right in the boilermaker! i honestly dont believe deer can tell the difference or care if the guts are laying there either...just my opinion!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I can see a case if you don't want to attract coyotes to an area you hunt.  As far as scaring other deer, I don't think so.  I have watched many deer pass near gut piles and never once saw any reaction that would lead me to think they would want to avoid the area.  My experience says they pretty much ignore gut piles and dead deer hanging.  A couple years I shot a deer late in the day.  After gutting, I hung it in a tree next to the trail.  The next morning a deer practically rubbed against the hanging deer as it passed by and never once gave any indication it knew or cared about the hanging dead deer.   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
 Really? after seeing that video you would still rather wrestle them on the forest floor? The guts dont weigh that much to barely make a difference in the drag. Doesn't the open cavity ever catch on stumps and sticks making it harder to pull? If you split the pelvic bone before you drag you are really making it harder to drag with them legs floppin all over. I know there is more hair and contaminants on the meat from gutting before skinning and dragging an open carcass.
Don't knock it until you try it.
If you remember that video because he had a warm deer that good ole boy used his knife very little.
I have never seen a deer react adversely to a gutpile either and I tell you what, if you set out the tarsal glands on the inside of their legs you will actually really attract them to the scene.
« Last Edit: February 02/13/11, 10:58:53 PM by kenhuntin »
A gun owner is a citizen

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
kenhuntin, very good point.  We usually do a rough field dress job (relatively small cut from pelvic to start of ribs) and then hang the deer at camp and finish the job.  Finishing includes spliting the pelvic and making sure the area is cleaned out.  Also, spliting the brisket and neck removing all bits not removed during the field dressing.  Then a stick is wedged in the ribs to help the carcas cool down.  I guess there is just something about gutting a deer I just killed, on the spot where it fell that makes me feel like part of nature.  It may be corney but for me it's part of the whole experience.  I really enjoy what it takes to gut a deer in the woods.   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
What I think is funny is going hunting with guys that don't gut their own deer. I have hunted with a few of these guys and when I first met them I had to gut all their deer for them. This has changed since then but what a surprise to me. These guys had been hunting deer for like 10 years!! LOL!! I believe that if you are going to shoot it you'd better be able to clean the damn thing.
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
There really is hardly anything better than the deer hunting experience. I do like gutting as much if not more than the hunt. I guess there is a fulfillment feeling that comes after a deer is down. The whole experience is satisfying all the way from getting dressed through butcher and serving it to the kids. Then talking about it afterwards.Then anticipating the next hunt. It is a great cycle to be trapped in.
A gun owner is a citizen

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
on the cold years I can't wait to gut a deer just to warm up my hands.

Fireranger... I agree, if you can shoot em, you can gut em.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
on the cold years I can't wait to gut a deer just to warm up my hands.

Fireranger... I agree, if you can shoot em, you can gut em.

I wear old neoprene gloves if it gets too cold out when gutting.  Keep you warm, have some grip, and help decrease the chance of cutting yourself when the fingers malfunction.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.