Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2011 crappie season is on!!!!  (Read 4458 times)

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
     Lakes are opening up.  As soon as the sun starts showing up the 2011 spring crappie bite will be on.  (some have shown up already)   Post your reports here.   :happy1:
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Went out today for a late morning fishing expedition and not a single bite.  Still too cold.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
At least you got out.  My lake of no fish still is iced up.  It finally turned black so it won't be long.
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline Carp

• Outdoorsman
I do not have a boat. But I like to fish for them from shore.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
 ::welcome::   Carp.   glad to have you with us.  This cold spring has delayed the crappie bite.  I have found that if we can get a couple of sunny warm days the crappies will move into the shallows.  If you can find a dark bottomed shallow bay-the smaller the better you should be able to hit them easily from shore.   Good luck.

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
Fished Pelican Lake (south of Monticello) on Sunday. Three guys in the boat, from 0745 to 1430 and caught a few really nice ones between 9-11 inches. The Sunny bite was unreal though. We were fishing in 3-7 fow with small jigs. I was using a small chartreuse Ice jig with a waxie and was catching hand over fist. We counted 35 in one half hour for one guy....incredible. Kept less then a limti due to becoming very selective as the day went on. Going again soon.
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
    Finally got the boat in the water over Memorial weekend.   Surface temps were in the low 50s and saw the sun only briefly the entire weekend.  The crappie bite was on although they held real tight to cover.  If you could drop your bait within a foot or so of a fallen tree the game was on.  Not a lot of fishermen out because of the weather.  I did a little jigging on the lake of no fish for a while to try out the ATI- "Danno" long shank jigs.  I was really surprised to pull in a couple of sunfish that had no trouble going after the long shank with a 3/8oz. jig.  I can't wait to try them on a lake that has fish in it.   ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline walkingstick3

• Outdoorsman
Fished Pelican Lake (south of Monticello) on Sunday. Three guys in the boat, from 0745 to 1430 and caught a few really nice ones between 9-11 inches. The Sunny bite was unreal though. We were fishing in 3-7 fow with small jigs. I was using a small chartreuse Ice jig with a waxie and was catching hand over fist. We counted 35 in one half hour for one guy....incredible. Kept less then a limti due to becoming very selective as the day went on. Going again soon.
I will be back on Pelican as soon as it firms up.  I spent a lot of time out there last year. Hit or miss everyday out there, but the spring bite is unreal some days.

Offline KNCantu

• Outdoorsman
Pelican is a good lake for panfish but does see a lot of pressure in the early spring and in the winter too especially since the NAIFC was there last year. You sure can pull some dandy crappies and blugills there too! It seems to be a great panfish factory! I usually hit it a couple of times each year and always have success!
Does anybody know when they plan to drain and use for waterfowl? I keep hearing they will and then they decided not to....some clarification would be nice!?\