Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 635488 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
accuweather on my cell I using the S word for up there tonite!!!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well glens off to the grat northland for 10-12 days..............mostly work though!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
man the deer were out in full force Friday nite driving up. seen 32 deer one the way up.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
reports are 5-6 inches of ice on Jessie lake.up to a foot on some of the smaller lakes. 6-7 inches of snow.....enough to run sleds. come on dec 30th!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
had 8 1/2 inches of ice. fishing was OK. we got fish but biggest was about 6 lbs. also got some sunfish. maybe 5 inches of snow. seemed like they where starting to go in that mid-winter funk already. some pike weren't interested in the decoy and most the fish we cleaned had nothing in there stomachs.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
got a call yesterday from my mother who is currently up at the cabin. seeing my brother backed out, he claims work got in the way but I know better!!!!!!!!!!! he's a corporate type and we all know they cant even spell work  much less know how to do any. well anyway his kid is supposed to be coming up tonite. they wanted to put a fishhouse out but encountered a lot of water on the ice. according to her it is as deep as the tire so I will take that as it is about 5 inches of water on top the ice. anyone else hearing things like that???????

our snow removal guy up there told mom that it rained pretty good up there last Friday!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
totally befuddled by all the water on the small lakes up there!!!!!!!! :doah: :censored: :scratch: :scratch: there isn't that much snow. anyone got any ideas why this is happening????????? I am stumped.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
totally befuddled by all the water on the small lakes up there!!!!!!!! :doah: :censored: :scratch: :scratch: there isn't that much snow. anyone got any ideas why this is happening????????? I am stumped.
I'm so bored all I do nowdays is watch the puter!! An weather is a site I watch 5-7 times a day.Its been raining a considerable amount that way and here also. You should know rain melts icetop snow an makes more water than only rain. I never seen so much rain this time of year ever in Mn.!!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I see that BUT that much water???? holy canoly!!!!!!!! :doah: :surrender:

Offline Onin24Eagle

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
The main reason is that there's not all that much ice is my guess. 

Best I've seen on the smaller lakes around the Bagley/Bemidji area is 16 inches and the same lakes with that much still have spots with only 11-12.  On average there's only 14.  That might be enough to hold a 1/2 ton truck and a 16ft wheelhouse but there's also 6-8 inches of snow on top of that ice.  You can drive over it a few times and if it cracks just a little the water will come gushing up.  I also saw some idiots drill holes to check the ice about 5 feet from the road on the lake and ruined a 100 ft stretch of the road.  Next day there was 6 inches of water in a 50 ft radius around the hole they drilled.
2011 MNO Deer Hunting Challenge Champion

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
figured i'd best keep this up to date.

headed to the cabin after a work trip to Duluth. tough job ya know. stopped at Gunners and gave him a jar of pickled pike..........which he helped donate to. got to the cabin and lawn needed to be cut in certain areas. went out fishing and made 2 trips around the lake. 1 little snake nord.

nephew came up also to chase ducks............and he wasnt to successful. he did get 1 grouse. I went out grousing to but didn't see any. sat went out fishing as I needed 2 nords for smoking. in 8 casts......not trolling I had my 2. set up for sunfish.........got 10 enough for a meal dat was sat nite supper. nephew went out and got 15 sunfish!!!!! rained sat nite/early sunday headed fer home early!!! still quite a bit of leaves but that area still hasn't had a frost!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
More rain last night & a steady 15-25 mph, gusts maybe to 30, NW wind along with mid 50's for a high. Some leaves comin down the last couple days but not like if we'd had a frost or 2. Thanks again for the fish, 57. ain't tried 'em yet.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
no problem gunner!!!! they should be good to go!! I took a taste test last nite!!!!!!!!! always willing to take more! you know...to help the DNR out!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Figured you would but haven't seen many hammerhandles  since the :Fish: started heading deeper. :scratch: We get into some more & I'll keep 'em for ya.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The weather people have a winter weather advisory for up nort tonite. Possible 1-3 inches of snow. Just in time to greet my brudder! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :snow5: :snow5:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
my coworker up north of deer river said they didnt get any snow.

we have frost advisories out for around here tonite.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I didn't see any :snow1: in the forcast when we left Wednesday am, just 3 days or so of low to mid 30's overnight & 40's during the day.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
heading up to gods country friday nite. need to see what ma nature did to our deer stands since deer season last year. maybe chase around some grouse. cut some wood, drink some beer!!!!!!!!!!! burn some wood!!!!!!!!!

open water fishing is officially over with for me!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Going that way again ourselves, either end of this week or by the start of next. Our dock,lift, & boat are still in the lake but will be pulled before we leave this trip.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
looking forward to trampin around the woods this weekend up there!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: chase  few tree chickens, check deer stands cut and play with wood!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
geeze glenn, this is a family site and yur talking about playing with wood. didnt think thats possible at ur age
lol!!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
geeze glenn, this is a family site and yur talking about playing with wood. didnt think thats possible at ur age
lol!!!
not everyone here has their mind in the gutter either like you do!!!!!!!!! :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Is there lots of tramps in the woods by your place Glen?

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Found him out in the woods 1 time this summer but I didn't see any tramps around ;D

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Did he have a grin on his face???    :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Found him out in the woods 1 time this summer but I didn't see any tramps around ;D
I had already sent them on there way by then! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
man it sure was a nice weekend to be up nort. noone was around and pretty sure it was due to MEA weekend next weekend. it will be nutz up there then. never heard a shot all weekend. that moon coming up sat evening was awesome!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :bow:

deer stands are in good shape. need some chainsaw work on trails going in so i can drag my HUGE BUCK out again. trees are done across them. cleaned up leaves, split hauled and stacked campfire wood.

had a fun weekend with my grandson. glad to see he is getting his life straightened out!!!!!!! didnt see but 1 grouse this weekend and that was coming home, although with my back as it is cant do a whole lot of walking and i refuse to be a road hunter.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so gunner................thinkin the woods was pretty crazy up there this weekend with MEA!!!!!!!! headed back up friday afternoon after i am done in red wing.