Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 635435 times)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Was wonderin :scratch: why there were 4 sometimes & 9 or 10 others. :cool: Thought that was a lot of $ to have tied up in wheelhouses that were out on the ice but not being rented out.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
On the way into GR today there were still 3 smaller wheelhouses & 3 more rigs pullin sleds or wheelers headed north on Hwy 46 about 8:30-9. Found open water on both sides of the Hwy 46/Cutfoot/Mosomo Pt bridge that wasn't there last week. Quite a bit more on both sides of the Pokegama Dam that is west of GR along Hwy 2 as well. Last week there wasn't any on the east  side of the dam

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Had somebody out on the bay early yday, looked to me like he walked out from the other shore. He came back out after a bit with some others & they were on sleds. They were out until about lunch time & then again about 3:30-4. Looked like there was some activity over on Bowstring too as the wheelhouses out in front of Trails End were on the move. It seems like we've had our snow here melt and/or settle maybe 4-5". We've got some yard showing on the north side of the kitchen, wait until 4 straight days in the 40's that are predicted for the end of this coming. week

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
sounds like springs coming. gunner they say anything at the bowstring store about getting around on not so much traveled roads????? asking as to see when we might be able to get back into the cabin without havingto have someone plow out!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope, but they did mention hearing about a couple sleds goin through the ice on a river or 2 in the area. Seen 1 in drive off Co Rd 35 yday, as we were coming back, that must've had some recent action & it looked to be pretty muddy. Our road & drive is starting to get greasy in a few spots, wait 'till the end of the week. :mad1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
UGH!!!!!!!!!! i'm startin to get the itch to get back up and chase some panfish!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't think getting in to your place will be much trouble as we've lost quite a bit of the snow & the ground will be froze for a while. Getting around on the lake is going to be another story though, I think. I pulled our sled off the lake after the last snow of the week we got >2', that was 2/26. The only ones I've seen out on the bay since then are sleds or wheelers with tracks on them.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Heard from a lady from Illinois that has a place over on the NW corner of the boot( off Co Rd 155) & was coming up last Monday. She wanted to know about the snow left too, Because of the storm last weekend she didn't get up here until Wednesday. She said that about the only trouble traveling she had was the 3' of snow at the end of her drive. I think she hadn't been up since December & was only driving a small car. So, I would think you'd be OK with the company car, glenn
« Last Edit: April 04/21/18, 10:59:38 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Heard from a lady from Illinois hat has a place over on the NW corner of the boot( off Co Rd 155) & was coming up last Monday. She wanted to know about the snow left too, Because of the storm last weekend she didn't get up here until Wednesday. She said that about the only trouble traveling she had was the 3' of snow at the end of her drive. I think she hadn't been up since December & was only driving a small car. So, I would think you'd be OK with the company car, glenn
:happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Went out :fishing: yday pm, a little sloppy goin out, real sloppy comin in, especially gettin off the ice. No :fish2:, won't be takin the wheeler out there again this season. There was a few others out here, brother said there was 8 rigs over the north access of Bowstring. A big heave too, had the ramp tore up

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so gunner..............whats going on up that way???? last 2 days my phone is saying there is a fire weather warning?????? cant be that much snow then????????

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
HEY Moreys madman,I just burnt Fri.Had to register the permit and then there were no bans>>Anyway heres the burn DNR site map.Looks like a no burn NW  Mn
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/forestry/fire/questions.html
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen that on WCCO this morning too. Bet we've lost more than 1/2 our snow in the last 2-3 days, & 2/3 to 3/4 of what we had when we came up on 4/3. The puddles of standing water have started disappearing as well, warmer temps & with the wind today things are drying out quickly. With the low water levels from last year it wouldn't take much to look like California does sometimes. Bet we are getting close to 1' of good clear ice out here but Tim over at the store said his boys were over on Bowstring yday & bottomed out their auger in some spots. Thought we seen a small truck out there today on our way to get the paper. The Co Rd 35 access is getting very close to unusable, the 1 over by us was much better. Geiger's has had their plow truck parked on their ramp blocking it for 2 weeks, if not longer.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks gunner!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Just got back from the north land. There were two full size trucks drove out on Bowstring Saturday, I had to put my extension on my Ion to reach through the ice. It is starting to come up in chunks so it should start melting down fast now. Fished two smaller lakes and not as much ice but still a lot considering the time of year it is. Fishing was pretty good and I did manage a 10 3/4" and a 10 1/8" sunfish. Also had a few crappies over 12". Had a lot of eater size we kept so a good finish to the ice season.       :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Cripes helk did freeze over... :shocked: :moon: merc caught fish!! :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Nice going!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
And the best part Glenn was I found a full beer on the lake. It was partially covered with slush from where two guys  were fishing the day before. There loss was my gain. It was a good trip, shirtsleeve fishing weather and the fish bit. And free beer.      ;)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Looked to us yday that both the PA's on our end are going fast. Brother said there was 1 guy over at the north access that even left his wheeler on shore & walked out. Only 1 truck down at the NW 1 & it looked like he had 5-10' of water along shore & then another 15-20' of some pretty deep slush to deal with when he put in. Wonder :scratch: what it was like coming off the ice.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like the Curse of Glenn is already workin. ;) The forcast now is for a 50% chance of rain tonight, a high of 47* tomorrow &  55* on Saturday.  :rolleyes: :thumbs:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Looks like the Curse of Glenn is already workin. ;) The forcast now is for a 50% chance of rain tonight, a high of 47* tomorrow &  55* on Saturday.  :rolleyes: :thumbs:

Ooooh!!! Anudder new wedder phenomenon!!   :shocked:   :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
And we're off!!! :happy1: have a good weekend !

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
It's Denver omelet time!!! :happy1: :happy1: :hubba:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:azn:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The Curse of Glenn aka COG is in full effect now, 48*, 15-20 mph NW wind, & rainin now. :bonk: :thumbs: ;) :rotflmao: At least it's not  :snow5: :applause: :laughroll:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
only he could do that to ya!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow! That's even surpassed a Delmar Downdraft ! Cripes!!   :shocked: :doah:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Parts of the Arrowhead got 6" of snow, though. :confused:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
all of ya.......................... :mooning: :mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

well i'll tell yea what, from what i seen on the drive home the lakes ice took a beating since Friday. Emily lake near Emily had ice rolling up from the wind, there's a lake between Emily and outing near a bar/grill and not far from when GG used to stay that will be ice free by tomorrow. wifey said highbanks posted a picture of there shoreline with the ice going out!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The webcam at Williams Narrows shows ice on both sides of their channel. Bet the open water along our shore has more than doubled(~ 30' now) in the last day or so though. I haven't heard any noises like the ice is movin here yet though.
« Last Edit: April 04/29/18, 05:36:14 PM by Gunner55 »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Had 1 of the neighbors out on the bay in a canoe yday. :scratch: :bonk: Seen him beach the front on the ice in a couple spots, bet 1/2 the bay is open. Could all be gone by the weekend. :happy1: Wouldn't be surprised too see 'em settin up the nets over on Cutfoot when we go by today.