Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 635396 times)

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Just checked the snow on the cabin roof yday here & it looks like we might have about 1/2 of what we did last year. That was in February & we couldn't find a snow rake anywhere in GR, so he ordered 1 online. We had somebody out front of our place late am-early pm yday in a small 1 man Clam flip over. I didn't see them set up but seen 'em leave & it was 1 of the neighbors. He was on foot & it didn't look like he had any problems getting around.

Ah dang!!!! I have an extra one with the aluminum poles (just like mine) I found when cleaning out my Mom's house, ya coulda had it, Gunner! Just woulda needed to stop by on yer trips....might even been able to see the NL.   :rotflmao:
:happy1: :happybounce: :happybounce: ;) :super smiley: That's nice of ya, Reb, but we needed 1 quicker than that. Would've been a good excuse to get together though. :cool:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
No prob, gunner. We coulda had glenn run down then back up, mighta cut down on all his free chatter time.  :rotflmao:  ;)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
ok, so I needed to know what i'd be dealing with if I went fishing up north. I left at 5;45 am. about 10 miles south of remer I ran into freezing drizzle. fun fun. the roads did get better north of deer river and were way improved on the way home. once I got there it took me about 50 minutes to do what I wanted to do. there was 8-10 inches of new snow on the road, and other then to shovel a berm from a plow I wouldn't at this point be afraid to drive in. I shoveled off the cabin deck and headed on the lake.

on the shoreline there was a fair amount of snow but you could get through it with a wheeler. there was a really light thin crust but the rest was soft and fluffy snow. out about 20 yards the snow was maybe 2 inches. I shoveled it away and you could see it was frozen slush. I walked out 300 yards or so just fine, barely any snow and solid.

I noticed the public access someone half azz plowed it so I wanted to get out further to see if there was any activity in the main part of the lake. there was still a fishhouse out also, I made another 20 steps, and paloosh thru I went. there is a good 6 inches of water and slush. then you would get to solid, make few step and go thru again. you could also see where the person with the fishouse had issues with his heeler and slush...………..so I headed back.

it appears we have 4-5 wolves in the area also. did see 3 grouse! :happy1: so as of now I will be waiting till that crap feezes up. looks like starting Tuesday nite it will have a good start.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
and the rest of the story is....its football time with an extended HH with Jose and OJ.!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
went a had a short visit with gunner and his brudder………...only guy he talked bad about was boar!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

ok back to HH and football...……….go CHIEFS!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :rolleyes: :bs: HEY!!!!!!  :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :mooning: :mooning: :mooning: :mooning: Careful or I'll tell 'em what you said about the guy behind the wheel of Mr. Sparkles. :evil: :laugh: ;)
« Last Edit: January 01/12/19, 06:35:58 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:happy1: :rolleyes: :bs: HEY!!!!!!  :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :mooning: :mooning: :mooning: :mooning: Careful or I'll tell 'em what you said about the guy behind the wheel of Mr. Sparkles. :evil: :laugh: ;)
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

and he'd probably believe yea too!!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: January 01/12/19, 07:07:26 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Had a group out in the bay  :stillfish: yday, not long after glenn left. Thought is was just 3 on foot :scratch: but after lunch they had 3 more on sleds show up. Around 2 or so they moved over to this side of the bay for a bit. When it looked like they were starting to shut it down the sleds did a loop in front of our place to turn around so they could shuttle some back to where ever they were stayin. It looks like they found a lot of slush as they got closer to our shore. I didn't see any of 'em get stuck but they had their sleds movin pretty good. Was thinking about checking the ice conditions out in the next couple days & tryin to get out  :fishing: before the cold snap comes. Now I'm not so sure it's even worth my time  :scratch:
« Last Edit: January 01/13/19, 11:02:07 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I know how much faith Reb has in his weather heros, but just looked at accuweather. starting Tuesday nite and all the way to Feb 2nd...……..there isn't a nite up north that has an above 0 for a low. one would think that should take care of a whole lotta slush!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Boy, I hate that! Lumpy slush that freezes rock hard ! Try to put yer porty down with the floor in it, and ya can't find a flat spot.... :angry:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
When I fished here on the river the other day there was a lot of slush too.  I may have to put another row of 2x4's under my house.  That snow must have pushed the ice down.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Talking to Chris, they own the place, over at Bowstring Store yday about the amount of snow we found when we came up. She said they had 15" right after Christmas & another 2 or 3" that weekend. Someone was buying minnows so  :fishing: got brought up too. She had a pic of her son with a 17# norski he'd speared the day before.
« Last Edit: January 01/14/19, 03:23:07 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey 57, was your decoy hot pink? :scratch: If so, it's still there.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey 57, was your decoy hot pink? :scratch: If so, it's still there.
think it was. think it may be there for a while at the price on the sticker. its the bear creek line of decoys i really like!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Another 1 just like it was $20, looked but I didn't see who made it on there anywhere. :confused:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Another 1 just like it was $20, looked but I didn't see who made it on there anywhere. :confused:
all bear creek dekes come in a plastic/cardboard wrap.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Googled 'em & at least $18-$19 online. FF had a red & white pike 1 for $23

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i have all the decoys i'll ever need, and with my wife probably never spearing again......i just doubled my supply!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
So....how do you use the decoys to get 'em? Jig 'em? I've never spear fished.  :confused:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Me either, Reb. I think they're made with pectoral type fins so they kinda swim in a circle, like a jiggin rap.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So....how do you use the decoys to get 'em? Jig 'em? I've never spear fished.  :confused:
I hang a reel above the hole, use a swivel snap with swivel removed on braided line. Drop down the home roughly 1/2 between the bottom of the lake and bottom of the ice. They ate built with fins so they swim in a circle. Wait for fish. Sometimes them pine come in like a freakin torpedo. Fun to watch.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
you are both right, the decoy would just hang there other wise.  give the string a good tug and they will go in an upward swing into a circle..  depending on the bend in tail fin defines how big or small a circle they swim..    hope this helps ya both...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
So, ya just yank the line and they swim by themselves?

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup cause of the weight and the balance of the decoy.  you tube spearing northerns and there are lots of videos... 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok, thanks guys!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Wasn't really sayin ya needed more, just with what they're askin online for 'em the stores price didn't seem that far out of line to me. :scratch: Some of the hand made ones are almost works of art. :cool:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Wasn't really sayin ya needed more, just with what they're askin online for 'em the stores price didn't seem that far out of line to me. :scratch: Some of the hand made ones are almost works of art. :cool:

they are and cost more cause of it..  come to a decoy show and you will see!!!! 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea there are some dandies there. And Finch you might even hear this big  :bs: :bs: :bs:er there!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
From Osakis? ;) :laugh: He's not sittin on a orange Harley is he? :scratch: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
From Osakis? ;) :laugh: He's not sittin on a orange Harley is he? :scratch: :rotflmao:

I hear the new lady friend put her touch on it...... :whistling:  :rotflmao:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 01/16/19, 07:43:22 AM by Rebel SS »