Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 635274 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
My kids bear bait stand he's hunting is behind the store. Way back. Opposite of the road that goes to goose lake.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Man I am really surprised how high the lakes are. I dumped  4 inches of rain  out of the rain gauge before I put it away for the winter. I haven't seen the cabin lake this high in 30 years.

But man are the trails soupy. :confused: :doofus:
« Last Edit: October 10/13/19, 09:56:54 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 I didn't get down to the lake 'til Monday last week when the sun finally came back out. :sad: It was EZ to tell as the boat came off the lift that the lake was up 3-4" or more from where it was when we left. Water's so high & with our bank we're going to have to jack up the lake side of the lift again when we pull it just to get it out of the water. Hope it drops some yet before we get ice as ice out got a bit hairy last Spring.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We had a few flurries here during the day on Thursday but not enough to even tint the ground white. Now Friday night & early Saturday was a different story as the ground was white early on. It didn't stay long though as it turned to rain on & off later. I saw where the lady who is the WCCO Weather Watcher for Inger reported 2" on Saturday morning. She lives on the south shore of the main lake over by where the river comes in. Nowhere near the 4" you said you had up there though.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i found out yesterday that my pal, George at the deer river bait store passed away earlier this past week.  :doah:

story around town is his kids are probably gonna shut the doors.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Sorry to hear about your buddy, glenn. :sad: Just glanced at his place yday on our way back from GR & thought somethin looked different. Messed around with the lift this AM & brought it in to just about the rip rap. It's still sittin in enough water that I could put the boat on it. :crazy: I put some rope on it when we had the last nice weather & the lake has came up another 2-3" since that time. I can only remember 1 time when it was higher. Dad had a  little 2 stall boathouse, galvanized pipe for posts along with a galvanized roof, down there & we had to lay some planks along the shore to get to it. Had to be late 70's-early 80's.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
is that Freds bait shop???
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
NO  :tut: on the east end of town. why would i call him George iffin it was fred!!!!!!!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :doofus: :doofus: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: was called the bait shop!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Becuz yer................ :lipsrsealed:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I do not know how many bait shops are there ya clown!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

🤡

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
NO  :tut: on the east end of town. why would i call him George iffin it was fred!!!!!!!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :doofus: :doofus: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: was called the bait shop!!!!!!
:tut: Der ain't no Fred at Fred's bait :bonk: :doofus:..........................................no more. ;) :laugh: :laugh: Don't think there ever was either :scratch:. Bill Powell owns it now, his dad & grandpa started it in the early 60's

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:tut: Der ain't no Fred at Fred's bait :bonk: :doofus:..........................................no more. ;) :laugh: :laugh: Don't think there ever was either :scratch:. Bill Powell owns it now, his dad & grandpa started it in the early 60's
:pouty: :pouty: how would i know....they got bankers hours and are usually closed when i go thru. i know the kid that worked there this summer though!!!!!! His name was Sam.
« Last Edit: October 10/17/19, 06:31:04 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Still opening at 6, at least that's what there sign said yday & open more than the rest IMO. Their hours change next month 'til 'bout 1st ice though. Sportsman's don't open much before that, 5 or 5:30

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
gunner I did not know that either ya clown!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: Still opening at 6, at least that's what there sign said yday & open more than the rest IMO. Their hours change next month 'til 'bout 1st ice though. Sportsman's don't open much before that, 5 or 5:30
Well 6 am don't do me jack when I usually come through by 8 or 9 pm. Some of us still have jobs. :confused: :pouty: :doofus: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Well!! :shocked: They've only been in business 50+ years so I'm sure they know when it pays to be open. :tut: Good luck findin another 1 that's open then, bet 90% or more are closed at that time.  :doah:  Maybe  :scratch: you should buy that business, DR, with some of those big bucks your makin & pay somebody to run it so they can be open when you go through. :rolleyes: ;)  :laugh: :nerd: Just checked the hours on the 1 that was in Cohassett & moved to GR, 1000 Lakes, even they close at 6:00 every night, Young people, 30 ish  :scratch:, runnin that 1 too. Might have buy a good aerated insulated bucket & start bringing it with you.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well!! :shocked: They've only been in business 50+ years so I'm sure they know when it pays to be open. :tut: Good luck findin another 1 that's open then, bet 90% or more are closed at that time.  :doah:  Maybe  :scratch: you should buy that business, DR, with some of those big bucks your makin & pay somebody to run it so they can be open when you go through. :rolleyes: ;)  :laugh: :nerd: Just checked the hours on the 1 that was in Cohassett & moved to GR, 1000 Lakes, even they close at 6:00 every night, Young people, 30 ish  :scratch:, runnin that 1 too. Might have buy a good aerated insulated bucket & start bringing it with you.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: naw i'll just take an extra day of and go up early or leave early!!!!!!!!! :mooning: :mooning: i can always plan a meeting in grand rapids!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: naw i'll just take an extra day of and go up early or leave early!!!!!!!!! :mooning: :mooning: i can always plan a meeting in grand rapids!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
Why all the :violin: :violin: :violin: :cry: :cry: :cry: then. :tut: :tut: :mooning: :mooning:  :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: no whining.....just stating a fact. besides what business wouldnt be open on nights when fishermen and hunters are traveling through!!!!!!!! especially employeed ones!!!!!!! :doah: :scratch: :scratch:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :swords:                                                  :swords:

:popcorn:

:swords:                                                   :swords:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
:tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: no whining.....just stating a fact. besides what business wouldnt be open on nights when fishermen and hunters are traveling through!!!!!!!! especially employeed ones!!!!!!! :doah: :scratch: :scratch:
:tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: Cause they only come in a few times a year instead of a few times a month. :bonk: :rolleyes:  :pouty:
« Last Edit: October 10/18/19, 12:04:26 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
After messin with the lift a bit yday we decided that with the water so high we weren't going to be able to put it where we usually do as only the front wheels were barely going to be out the water. Last season at ice out the water level had come up so much from all the snow & the strong NW wind pushed the ice against our shore, movin the lift sideways 2-3'. Not wanting a repeat of that we called the GR guy who runs a barge service that many others on the lake use at this time of year & in the Spring. Got the answerin machine when we called but he called back within 5-10 minutes & it turns out he has 10-15 other jobs out here coming up in the next week or so, depending on the weather. He's gonna move it 30-40' north where the bank is cut away a bit & put it up completely on shore for us for only $75. :happy1: It was a big relief for us so we had to check out HH. ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: Not that busy over there at 1st but by the time(5:30-6)we left it was full, a lot of food too. Heard a rumor while we were there that the place had been sold, but not even the help seemed to know much about it. :scratch:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
interesting on yer watering hole..  the one I went to that closed is reopening again under new management..  leashing it..  and for only 6 months..  sooo it will interesting how that goes..  mid 20's is how old they are with no money????    who knows...

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe Glenn bought it?  Man $75.  What a bargain.  Sounds like the new annual program to me.   :happy1: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Is that Riley's Gunner?

Mike, what place is that?? Richie's?

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Thunder lodge on the south side of Long Prairie..

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Is that Riley's Gunner?

Mike, what place is that?? Richie's?
Yup. :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe Glenn bought it?  Man $75.  What a bargain.  Sounds like the new annual program to me.   :happy1: :happy1:
Kinda what we thought too, LPS. Within 20-30 minutes of talkin to the guy we both agreed for that $ we may want to use him in the Spring & Fall every year.  :happybounce: :cool: We knew he did a lot of others on the lake, docks too, but figured he'd get $200-300 a pop.