Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Waste of money?  (Read 2925 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Here is a story about food plots.  I feel they are a waste of money in some places but where we hunt they are a draw and provide food and nutrition when the natural foods become scares and less tasty.

http://www.realtree.com/hunting/articles-and-how-to/are-you-wasting-money-on-food-plots
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I don't doubt in the least that some food plots are a bust.  I won't go as far as saying they are a total waste of time and money because making one gets you out in the woods at times that you normally wouldn't be there.  A lot can be learned about the deer behavior in your area.  Some times it works and some times it doesn't.  Just like hunting.  If it was a sure thing, everyone would put in a plot. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Yep, getting out into nature is always good.  I love doing the work that goes into planting the plots.  The kids call it farming. LOL.  I call it family time.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I see the plots as just an way to bring deer season to the spring. and the cameras don't lie the deer like to visit them. as well as all the other critters that run around my place
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I don't agree with the article at all. Sure, there are food plots that don't draw deer for whatever reason. If that doesn't work try something new and adjust.

I had a clover plot a few years back and the deer came through but nothing too exciting.

The clover was growing well but there were some bare areas. To fill those areas I broadcasted some rape seed in. That eventually sprouted and the deer were thick in there. The deer in my area for whatever reason love rape! They hammered it. I was getting all my best deer hiitting the plot and they were evcen coming during the day.

Now if I would have just kept it at clover I probably could be agreeing with Tony to some extent but I switched it up, went outside of the box and got great results.

Here are a couple pics from that plot after I put the rape in.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 04/24/14, 03:28:00 PM by MNO »

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
depends on how you look at it. if its in terms of how much meat you get for an investment, then ya, a huge waste of money. if you look at it as a hobby or time spent with the family, you cant put a price on that.

like MNO said, if one thing doesnt work, try another. sooner or later they will like something
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
depends on how you look at it. if its in terms of how much meat you get for an investment, then ya, a huge waste of money. if you look at it as a hobby or time spent with the family, you cant put a price on that.

like MNO said, if one thing doesnt work, try another. sooner or later they will like something

Exactly!

Its a year round hobby! I love to garden and I love to food plot. I just started maybe 5 years ago and love it. Its fun to build something and then watch the deer use it. Always ways to improve habitat.