Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: The ice season has started.  (Read 4898 times)

Offline Retired on Osakis

• Master Outdoorsman
Lake Osakis has fishable ice in some areas. Saw two guys out on Schultz's Bay today. One was about a third of the way out from Buck Point towards Battle Point. The other was out from the south end of the bay. There was also a person just west of the fishing pier at Battle Point. :dancinred: :dancinred:

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
I went out this afternoon first tried a perch slough that I thought would have great ice,narrow in a little valley.  Well 10 ft out there was 4" of ice  another 10ft out there was 3" of ice.  We got out of there quickly.  Then drove another 30 miles NW to Lake Audubon Nice clear 5" of ice, there were lots of ice fishermen out including one guy with a ATV.  Watching a guy with a spud out 600yds made me think fishing near shore would be ok.  My buddy and I got our limit of 14-16" walleye and this...my first fish of the ice season! ND not Mn... ;D

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Nice fish corny!!!!!  I'm so jealous.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice northern. Minnesota doesn't grow them that big anymore.

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw the first ATV on the Lake Osakis ice today. That guy has much bigger ones than I do.

Offline fishinbound77

Hi Retired,

Do you have any news on the ice now?  I heard there is 6 inches by head of the lakes and people are driving ATV's all over.  What is the ice like where you are? 

• Master Outdoorsman
There is ATV traffic on different areas of the lake. I have found 7-8 inches in the areas I have been in. Been walking out myself. I have a Polaris Ranger HD and I like to have at least 8 inches before I start driving that around. With me and all my gear it runs close to 1500 lbs. The eastern two-thirds of Manthey's Bay were Head of the Lakes is at froze up a day or two before the western third so the access at 145th Ave is probably a little thinner but I would guess it has to be at least 5 inches. Heard a rumor that an ATV with tracks went through in that area Saturday or Sunday. Haven't been up that way to check it out yet. I'm on Schultz's Bay and there have been a lot of  people and ATV's coming on from the little access in the northwest corner of the bay. Be safe and check the ice where ever you go. Welcome to the site. Great place.
« Last Edit: December 12/02/13, 01:10:05 PM by Retired on Osakis »

Offline fishinbound77

Thanks for the info.  I forgot my profile from last year so I created a new one so I am not actually new to the site.  Without saying my name on the public site I will just say we have the Orange Kubota.  I agree that there probably isnt enough ice for the Ranger HD.  We will walk out with a chissel first and check the thickness.  Hopefully we have enough for the ATV by friday but it does look like we should unless we get a ton of snow.   

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
guythathunts? I can restore it if you like....

Well, welcome back anyways!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the info.  I forgot my profile from last year so I created a new one so I am not actually new to the site.  Without saying my name on the public site I will just say we have the Orange Kubota.  I agree that there probably isnt enough ice for the Ranger HD.  We will walk out with a chissel first and check the thickness.  Hopefully we have enough for the ATV by friday but it does look like we should unless we get a ton of snow.   
OK. I know who you are. There have been ATV's out so that should be OK. Ya, I'm a little concerned about the snow also. We got 4 inches of wet, heavy stuff yesterday. Hasn't affected the ice yet. Didn't find any slush yet. Supposed to get another 6 inches tonight into tomorrow. It was drizzling a little while ago, don't like to see that.

Offline fishinbound77

If i can get an ATV out that would be great.  I can then plow some roads and let that cold get down to the ice.  Let me know if you need anything.  I can plow you a road too so you can get your Ranger out.  Once we can get the Kubota out we shouldn't have any problems.  It is supposed to be windy tomorrow maybe 40 MPH so hopefully that blows a lot of the snow off the lake. 

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the offer of a plow but I plow where ever I need to go with my Ranger. I've plowed the driveway twice already. Once yesterday morning and again this afternoon. I think most of the snow is over now except for some flurries. Now the wind is supposed to kick into high gear and blow it around.

Offline fishinbound77

I just meant I could plow so you could get enough ice to get your ranger on the ice since i have a smaller ATV.  I will be heading up tomorrow so I will see you out there.  Thanks for the info.  Hopefully that wind blows a lot of the snow off the ice. 

• Master Outdoorsman
I see you got out. How much ice you got? Must be fairly thick as I see the Kubota was out there.