Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 3962 times)

Offline snookchaser

• Minnow
Whats up northern anglers?  NC coast native, and I spent the last five years in south Florida.  Lookin for some advice from those in the know in your neck of the woods.  My buddy and I are primarily salt water guys.  Many many many many days spent chasing pelagics offshore, countless hours inshore chasing drum, flounder, and speckled trout.  We have for years made at least one out of state expedition.  We have always gone to the keys to wade the flats for bonefish, and tarpon fishing at night.  Well for a few years now we have discussed heading to Minnesota, or Wisconsin to get some norhterns, walleye, and possibly a shot at a muskie.  We have caught just about every eastern seaboard saltwater game fish, and south eastern US freshwater fish.  The plan is to load up the truck and hook up the gheenoe and head that way sometime this summer.  We are starting our research and planning now.  We like quiet places with minimum people, and optimum water quality would also be a plus.  This is something we have discussed many times.  We have read a lot about it, and are ready to make a go at it.  I am looking for advice on bodies of water.  The more low key the area the better.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and look forward to dialogue with some of you anglers.

Tight Lines!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Howdy back at cha...Welcome to the site!

What kind of fishing adventure are you looking for? Bringing a boat? Tenting it? Resort? Want to use a guide service? Pack in?

I guess we need some more info on what you want to do.

HD

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Howdy welcome to the site! Hd is right, little more info. not much for getting away from people up here, the most renown lakes for fishing an catching multi species gets alot of people all summer long. If your looking for a tru northwoods adventure withvery little human presence at the same time ur there, I would look into a Boundary waters conoe expidition. Youd have the experience of yur lives. an there are some great people form Ely MN on this site that can ceretainly help you with anything an questions you might have. Good luck an get fishing!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
    ::welcome::   I would suggest researching lake of the Woods or venturing into Ontario Canada.   The time of the year makes a difference too.  If you are going to drive all that way don't cut yourself short.  A plane ticket and using a resort boat would  be a better option in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 02/09/14, 04:44:25 PM by DDSBYDAY »
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Lake vermilion or my favorite for big pike and muskies, mille lacs.  Its quiet during the week and if you get tired of esox. it is a world class smallie lake.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
I would agree with DDSBYDAY  Northwest angle of Lake of the Woods has some nice resorts with great guides, you will need a remote border crossing permit to be able to fish the Ontario waters.  Lots of great walleye fishing, big Northerns, Big Smallmouth bass, BIG Muskie...About as quiet/few other anglers as you can find. Im kind of the exact opposite from you guys , both my children live in the south (NC and Alabama) so have experienced most of the fishing you have mentioned..always hire a guide when I go somewhere new...went flounder gigging on the inside of the barrier islands of southern NC last winter...a lot of fun and great eating.

If you are prohibited from getting into Canada...history of DUI etc   Leech lake is always a good place for big walleye and Muskie, great largemouth bass, close to some nice Northern Pike lakes like Cass and Winnibigosh which also have the same fish...I have a cabin there

Offline snookchaser

• Minnow
Thanks for the welcomes.  First: we are planning on bringing my 16ft gheenoe (flat-back canoe), or my 21ft yellowfin flats boat.  The gheenoe has a 5 hp 4 stroke ob, live baitwell, removable polling platform, front mounted 24lb trolling motor, removable outriggers, and a fishfinder.  The yellowfin has raised front and rear casting decks, dual baitwells, raymarine fish finder/gps combo, 200 hp fourstroke, and a powerpole.  Camping or motel is ok.  We would prefer a lake where we could spend the week exploring, and camping each night as we make our way around the lake.  We both have spent our entire lives on the water, and do not take chances or make hasty/risky decisions.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  Northerns are our main target, hoping for some shots at muskies also.  Walleye are also on the list.  Like the use of Latin dakids, Esox Lucious is definitely the main target, as we have caught our share of E. Americanus, and E. Niger, lol.  We have also had our taste of smallies in the mountains here, but a trophy smallie would be nice also.  We thrive on the road-trip, and stops along the way to our destination are highly enjoyed.  Planning on a two week expedition.  That is accounting for travel time and to allow a minimum of 7 days at our destination.  I have always heard Minnesota's nickname and thought your state would be a great place to find a lake to suit our needs.  If you have any other questions please ask!  

Thanks for the responses!  

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Hit mille lacs on your way north and stop on vermillion on your way to lake of the woods. 
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  Time of year?  Look into  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyageurs_National_Park  I think this would be the adventure you are looking for.  Up until a couple of years ago campsites were first come first serve.  Now you need to make reservations.  Much less activity during the week depending on the time of year.  You can also cross into Canada via Kettle Falls.  Google Kettle Falls and Voyageurs National park.  Check out the youtube vids.  The time of year makes a big difference though.   One thing to remember is these are glacial lakes.  There are rock outcroppings that will remove your lower unit faster that can bat an eye.  Even with sophisticated mapping.  Cell phone coverage is limited in some areas and if you cross the border into Canada you will want to sign up for coverage before you may need it.  Just a couple of things to think about for you when you plan your trip.  Just think about those bad areas as a Manatee zone.  
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline snookchaser

• Minnow
We are shooting for the week after the fourth of July or the week following that.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
We are shooting for the week after the fourth of July or the week following that.

That will be a busy time anywhere.  Given the winter we have had and the extended forecast the fishing could be spectacular.  You need reservations in voyagers but they should still be available if you look into it now.  Bugs can be voracious at that time of year.  I'm not trying to scare you away.  If you are prepared you will be back. :happy1:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
with that info, Id say flag island , northwest angle, awsome muski, smallie, walleye, norterns. have fun an please post your trip an pics would love to relive with you.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline snookchaser

• Minnow
Thanks for the info so far!  I have some more questions for you guys that are gear related.  I will post them tomorrow.  Thanks again for taking the time to post and helping me out!

Offline snookchaser

• Minnow
Long day today, getting work done to make the trip to Chapel Hill on Wed for the BBall game vs dook. 

Gear questions tonight.  I have a pair of shimano calcutta 700S's on 6'6" medium star rods, 20lb Ande mono (been used for pitching baits to sails, and trolling live baits for kings, drifting baits for tarpon). A pair of shim calc 400B's on 6' medium american rodsmith rods 14lb Ande mono (albacore, kings, snook, tarpon).  I see no need for the speedmasters, penn 555's, or anything bigger.  Several penn 650ss spinners on assorted rods, and some penn battles for light to medium line (8lb-10lb Ande mono).  I have a ton of fluorocarbon leader from 20lb-80lb, steel from 24lb-48lb, fluorocarbon and steel swivels.  Tons of circlehooks (gamakatsu tourney approved). Tons of jigheads for fishing DOAs for specks, reds, and flounder.  Hoping to not have to buy any rods and reels, but if this isn't sufficient, I want to start procuring some now.

Lures??  Specific brands, colors, sizes?  Spinners, swimbaits, hardbaits (cranks, jerks). 

I will definitely be doing some live bait fishing and hope to procure my own.  Ima download a fishing regulations pdf tonight or tomorrow.  Any tricks to catching bait, and what type of baits should I target.  Ie If I was going trophy bass fishing here, I would hit a small creek and seine some 8-10" shiners.  Striper fishing in a reservoir, I would castnet some shad at the boat ramp, or where I was marking bait on the fish finder.

Thanks

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  Snookchaser,  I moved this topic here.

http://mnoutdoorsman.com/forums/index.php?topic=29654.0