Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2014 gardening  (Read 21871 times)

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
 :coffee: my gardens are wet from the 130 inches of snow melt and as I write this it is raining out with flakes of snow mixed in. You guys may be harvesting before I even get anything to grow.. :doah:
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I got the garden tilled and planted a few things last night.  Now just ready for some warm weather.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
thanks general!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: thanks to the general now my garden is tilled also. got my dill in the ground before I got rained out for the evening. will tackle the rest or at least start tonite and sunday!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
We finished planting everything cept maters just yesterday,Started with taters onions 4-5 days ago.Lots of long term plantings this year.Then last nights rain came just at the perfect time for us.We hurried to get the planting done before this rain.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
little wet tonite to continue. dumped out an inch of rain.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
just poured here......need a boat to work in garden. :bonk: :bonk: :censored: :censored:

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
thanks general!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: thanks to the general now my garden is tilled also. got my dill in the ground before I got rained out for the evening. will tackle the rest or at least start tonite and sunday!

Glad to help and you were most generous with the coors light.  Thank you.

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Finally warming up enough..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Glad to help and you were most generous with the coors light.  Thank you.
no problem!!!!!!!! :bow: the least I could do. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
best cover da crops...frost and freeze warnings about!!!!!!!! :censored: :doah:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
finally got the garden all planted!!!! picked a good supply of asparagus as well as a bumper crop of winter onions!!!!!

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Garden is not looking to good, only thing green in it is stuff that was transplanted from the greenhouse. Soaking wet and cold here with not much change in the future.  :coffee:
Bobby Bass

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Pickle plants are doing great, tomatoes and peppers...are a little behind...
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
HD a sprinkler?? We been enjoying lots of strawberrirs,salads of 5-6 different letuce,tatters are flowering.New tatters soon. corn is bout 3 ft high.Onions seen stunted from rain!! the lake may be close to all time high!! We have some carp and nords in the yard!!!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Mama just weeded that garden, and watered in some fertilizer. Not, much...we live on sand, so it soaks in fast. Not like the dark clay you guys have.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looking good there HD.  I wonder when you could weed the garden with all the rain. 

The pumpkins, cukes, gords, and watermellons are slow to get going.

Tomatoes, onions, potatoes, and various other vegetables are doing fine.

Of Course you can't go without flowers.

Last year was a bumper apple corp.  Looks like it will be less this year
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
How's everyone's garden been doing?  The wife canned 38 jars of Dilly beans the other day.  The pickles are starting to come and we have eaten all of the sweet corn.  The tomatoes are all still green, but there is a lot of them.  I haven't dug any of the potatoes yet but the tops of the plant look just like last years hopefully under the ground is as good.  I think the wife planted enough spaghetti squash to feed the nation.  Anyone wanting some let me know it would be free you just have to come get it when they are ripe.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Lots of peppers, tomatoes are doing good. Cuks are great, but my pickles look like tennis balls.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Brocclli was good, cabbage is fine, peppers are good, some small red tomatoes, been eating potatoes and onions for a while, brussels sprouts are coming along fine, lots of cuks, some strawberrys.  Will be a while before any watermellon and pumpkins.  Gourds look fine for now.  Small apple crop this year and very few grapes.  Ground cherries should start soon also.   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Yeah the onions here have been good.  My wife saves all of them for making salsa.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
man I have been so busy haven't had time other then to take quick peeks here. :bonk: :bonk: garden is coming along. starting to get cukes, maters and kalarabi. going to pick my last of the green beans tonite and yank them. plants are about toast. I'd say its an average garden.

musta been the tiller!!!!!! :bonk: :doah: ;) ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: sorry general just hadda throw that in there.!

it actually did help!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman

Always interesting reading here on how everyone's gardens are growing, you can really tell the difference a few hundred miles can make. Berries are just getting ripe up here and I got my first ripe tomatoe. Have tons of spinach and a good onion crop growing. Corn is way behind but we still have two months of growing. Apple trees are doing nothing, 2nd year in a row.
Bobby Bass

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I have come to the conclusion my garden stinks this year. :doah: :scratch: :cry: :cry: already pulled my green beans and cukes because they sucked. more maters then normal have that stem rot. the tomatoes on the vine are less abundant then normal and my kalorabi are coming slower then they should. my carrots are good however! peppers stink too!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
I have come to the conclusion my garden stinks this year. :doah: :scratch: :cry: :cry: already pulled my green beans and cukes because they sucked. more maters then normal have that stem rot. the tomatoes on the vine are less abundant then normal and my kalorabi are coming slower then they should. my carrots are good however! peppers stink too!

You may want to ditch the union gardener theory and hire a migrant farm worker. :doah:

Just sayin ;)
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
boy.............you sure know how to hurt a guys feelings.  :doah: :doah: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: cant do the migrant worker thing, run into to many paperwork and legal details.

I'm blaming the weather. :bonk: :bonk:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
boy.............you sure know how to hurt a guys feelings.  :doah: :doah: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: cant do the migrant worker thing, run into to many paperwork and legal details.

I'm blaming the weather. :bonk: :bonk:

Skip da paper work!  Just marry one :happy1:
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
no can do, already married to a white city girl!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I was hoping for a bumper crop of pickles this year, but....no...
So, I have been canning some cucumber spears and zucchini a few jars at a time...

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm begging for cukes, pulled mine. might need to start begging for maters. :doah: :doah: there not doing so hot and I had planned on a whole lotta canning.

I have done 3 2 gal jugs of cukes. HD are those hot bathed and sealed?

try this method. slice the cukes the long way like you did in your post. add dill, onion garlic. stuff in a jar and if ya got 2 gal jars they work good. the brine is 2 qts water 2 cups vinegar and 1/2 cup pickling salt. mix pour into jar and set in frig.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I give the cukes a ice bath over night, boil the brine, slice the cukes and dump my stuff in the jar. Pour over the boiling brine to the top (or real close) then seal and put in hot water bath and let come to room temp. Then put um in the fridge. They seal just about every time.