Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: LAKES OAHE/SHARPE PIERRE AREA FISHING REPORT APRIL 1ST TO 7TH 2014  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Hutch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Fishing & Hunting South Dakota's Lake Oahe and Lake Sharpe
If you have cabin fever like me it is time to go fishing. Spring is slow to get here this year but fishing is good weather permitting so I will start putting fishing reports out for 2014. All of these reports thru April and May will mention the weather as that is a big part of any trips you make to Oahe/ Sharpe in these Spring months. Put another way, cross your fingers because you can get those beautiful spring days or some real nasty ones this time of the year. That being said the plus side for those that are willing to chance weather is some of the best fishing of the year especially for big fish. (Catch and release female walleye full of eggs). Cabela's came to town over the weekend for the first tournament of the year (held on Lake Sharpe) and the catches reflected that with an almost 12 lb. walleye in the bag of the tournament winners and a couple of other 10 lb. fish being weighed in. The over all weight in this tournament was around a 2 1/2 lb. avg. walleye with all teams just about bringing in limits. Most of these fish were catch either jigging or pulling plugs in the 1st 15 miles of the river. I started the season with my friend Jon Sailer putting the boat in for two hours on Sunday. We fished right in front of a boat ramp on Sharpe in off and on rain and caught a nice limit of 16 to 19 inch male walleye using jigs tipped with minnows. We had enough for supper so when the next rain started we trailered out. I believe that it is better for the life of the fishery in the lake to catch and release female walleye this time of the year. Especially the big one's as they are full of eggs. It also gives someone else a chance to put that fish of the year in the boat for picture's. Several of the pre spawn staging areas on Sharpe are loaded up with boats (community spots) on weekends and nice days but if you do not like that kind of fishing there are miles of water all the way down to the West Bend area on Sharpe putting out fish. I know that in the weekend tournament many of the places in the top ten were from way down river by competitors finding areas to fish with no other boats around so if you do not like fishing in the middle of a lot of boats you do not have to if you are willing to travel a little ways. Jigs and lindy rigs with minnows/gulp or pulling plugs (rattle baits like flicker shads) are the best producers and the fish can be anywhere from the deeper 20/30 foot holes to right up in 1 foot of water this time of the year. It looks like Sharpe should be an excellent fishery this year and Oahe might have a shortage of big fish (over 26 inchers) but should be full of nice eaters in the 14 to 16 inch range and should be another great destination for both walleye and smallmouth fishing. The big lake (Oahe) is still iced over but starting to break up. I will post ice out on Oahe as soon as it happens for early trippers and that looks like in the next 6 to 10 days or maybe sooner depending on the wind and weather.

Hutch's Guide Service

Hutch
Good fishing Hutch