Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Trout fishing?!  (Read 2372 times)

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone go out trout fishing on those streams in SE MN?!  I just picked up a new fly rod/reel with some more extras.  I used to fish with a small microspin, casting mepps and small raps, but I have just recently got into fly fishing.
I haven't got out this year yet - but I hope to make a trip down to the streams in the next few weeks.  I hear they are biting pretty well now with the hatches of some new bugs.

Anyone on MNO trout fish?!  I know there isn't a specific board for it, so it must not be too popular.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I just fish the tributaries up by Duluth, and pit mines by Crosby.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
I have been known to still drown a worm and fish for trout the old fashion way a couple of times a fishing season. Going to be high water in these parts for awhile this year though.
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Missed this one earlier sorry for the late reply...  I love to flyfish  trout, bluegills and Bass mainly in Mn.   Its a cool way of fishing and requires more of a knowledge of entomology (bugs)  than any thing else.   First of all spend a few bucks and get someone in a flyshop to teach you proper casting technique.  Its like golf if you teach yourself a wrong swing..you will pay for it the rest of your life.  Minnesota has some great trout fishing, the streams in SE Minnesota are as good as it gets, western Wisconsin also has some nice ones.  Fishing with Nymphs and wet flys usually are the best technique there.  Of course there are some good hatches where dry flies work well.  Central Mn has some nice streams with natural brook trout but hard to fish secondary to heavy cover once the leaves come out.  The  Straight river between Osage and south of Park Rapids is a great river to fish for Naturally reproducing Brown trout.  Anglers come from all over to fish the Hex (big mayfly) hatch of late june.   There are many lakes stocked with rainbows  usually best fished with sinking nymphs such as a weighted wooly bugger. 
Don't forget to use your new flyrod on Bluegills and bass.. popping bugs work great.
You can catch just about anything on a fly, Ive caught walleyes, Northerns, 2 muskies, tulibees, whitefish, ROCKBASS, and two Sailfish on flys.
  If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.