Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: First Scouting trip this spring  (Read 2072 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I finally got out to check on how the wildlife survived the winter.  I spent a little over 4 hours covering many acres and plenty miles.  Things don't appear too bad considering the long, cold, snowy winter.   In all I found three dead deer.  However, of these I would say only one, a fawn, was a winter kill.  I found a skull of a pretty nice 10 point.  From the looks of the area and skull/antlers, I would say this deer died in the fall of 2012.  I did not look like it was from last fall.  A second site had a deer that appeared to had died last fall.  No bones, just hair and a little skin plus the manure pile from the gut.  The last, most likely was a winter kill fawn.  Plenty grouse running around and turkeys could be heard near by.  The frost is still in the ground about a foot below the surface.  Not too much water by most spring standards.   Four wheeler traffic only any thing else will get stuck. 

Nice 10pt - probably died in fall of 2012.  I found it not far from where neighbors indicated they shot at one like this. 

Funny how a rub, even one from last fall, gets a guy's blood pumping....
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
WOW!!!! that a nice rack! odd the little critters didn't chew that thing up!! and you got yourself a natural European mount there!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Thanks for the great report/photos deadeye.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
he would have been a nice one to shoot but ya still got the antlers  :happy1:
Hunting is not life and death. It is more important than that.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I love this time of year. We spend a ton of time looking around and planning the next season. My best find this year was 4 spools of barbed wire. We are planning on puting up some fence to try and funnel the deer a bit closer to a particular corner where they come through. Found enough plus more to get the job done!

Also learned a little more about their travel routes. Found a fence through the woods which we didn't know was there. Makes so much more sense now why the deer are moving through a particular area.

Thats an awesome buck you found, too bad he died.  :happy1:

Offline jkjkoda

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Are we hunting or fishing today?
That is freaking cool.
Sad to know this guy isnt walking the woods but i'm sure his sons and daughters are. :happy1:
Are we hunting or fishing today?

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
That buck could be the same one that you bounced the broadhead off its headgear. :bonk:
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Not a chance.  This is a baby compared to that one.  :bonk:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***