Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: recurve set up  (Read 3230 times)

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
picked up a left handed recurve at an auction a year back.. have never had one. so I'm asking for a little help in set up.

1. how do I know what size string I need for it?

2. arrows.. what type/size/weight?

3. good source for components? online? cabelas?

I'm sold my bowtech a few years back as with the kids I just didn't have the time. would like to set this bow up and see how my skills transfer if at all.

thanks for the help
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline rod-man

• Outdoorsman
go to Lancaster archery they can get you set up
also check out minnesota traditional bow hunters they are a good group
if your ever down Rochester way stop in the Footed shaft on the north side of town. great place lots of help and stuff to see and buy
« Last Edit: July 07/04/14, 10:00:29 AM by rod-man »
Be safe  share the water <*)}}}}}><~~~~

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
sounds good. i'll check them out
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Pegg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
What are the specs of the bow. That is all I shoot now. Sold my machine a few years ago. Love shooting traditional .

Weight, length. should say amo and weight at 28"
If today was perfect. There would be no need for tomorrow.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
what I have here...

Blackhawk scorpion

the numbers are...

766          (guessing model number???)
85-3465   (no clue as to this number maybe a serial number?)
43 @ 28"  (is this 43# at 28"??)
L.H           ( I get this left hand)

thanks for the help.. would love to get this set up and start practicing with it.

Offline rod-man

• Outdoorsman
from what I've been able to find out the
766 means built "July 1966"
they are generally 60"
the 85-3465 is 85 model # 3465 total production count
hope this helped
Be safe  share the water <*)}}}}}><~~~~

Offline Pegg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
If it is a 60"amo the string you will need is about 56" long The best arrows will be 1916 if you go aluminum. If you contact Terry at the footed shaft in rochester he can get a string and arrows.

Hope this helps. Any more ?'s let us know.
If today was perfect. There would be no need for tomorrow.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
that helps a bunch.. no more questions until I get it set up.

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought in another post you said you lived near or in North Branch MN take a run up to full draw archery in harris they will help with any questions you may have or contact mathews4ever on here and he can point ya in the right direction good luck
Hunting is not life and death. It is more important than that.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
whiteoakbuck.. how stupid am I???? dang.. forgot all about them. and don't answer that first question.

how are the deer doing this year?

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
whiteoakbuck.. how stupid am I???? dang.. forgot all about them. and don't answer that first question.

how are the deer doing this year?
I won't answer but yeah take a run up there they are open 11a.m-8p.m. during the week and 10a.m.-4p.m. on Saturday might be 11a.m. but they  will help you out  They are great guys up there and as far as the deer  The herd seems to be great so far seeing twins and triplets with most of the doe and got a nice bachelor group running around few smaller bucks and few nice one's with plenty of time to grow so it will be cool to see what they become this fall you been seeing any deer or don't you do much hunting down around this area?
Hunting is not life and death. It is more important than that.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
like the numbers I've been seeing around here.. had one with big velvet a few months back on falcon.  I re-opened a connection I had with a developer that has some land west of town. not a big plot but it is surrounded by nice fields. but I've been thinking about getting the archery rolling again.

Offline mathews4ever

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It's a bit of a drive, but check out the footed shaft. Nobody in MN is better with traditional gear.

http://www.footedshaftllc.com/
"when a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is twenty feet closer to god." -Fred Bear-

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
picked up a left handed recurve at an auction a year back.. have never had one. so I'm asking for a little help in set up.

1. how do I know what size string I need for it?

2. arrows.. what type/size/weight?

3. good source for components? online? cabelas?

I'm sold my bowtech a few years back as with the kids I just didn't have the time. would like to set this bow up and see how my skills transfer if at all.

thanks for the help
What make bow?does it still have a model # poundage printed on it .With that info a string can be had easily.
 With my recurves I like to shoot cedar arrows BUT you can still get carbons or aluminumes that will work with it.Got a brand and the info on the riser?
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I think I would like to go cedar arrows... below are the specks.

what I have here...

Blackhawk scorpion

the numbers are...

766          (guessing model number???)
85-3465   (no clue as to this number maybe a serial number?)
43 @ 28"  (is this 43# at 28"??)
L.H           ( I get this left hand)

Info on em is hard to come by BUT that first# 766 I believe to be the date of manufacture July 1966 the 85-3465 In my limited knowledge is the 85 made of model 3465 The rest you have right, Yes 43 lbs of thrust at 28 inch draw thats off the shelf.
« Last Edit: August 08/12/14, 05:59:49 PM by dew2 »

Offline mathews4ever

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

what I have here...

Blackhawk scorpion

the numbers are...

766          (guessing model number???)Production Date (7)July (66)1966
85-3465   (no clue as to this number maybe a serial number?)Serial Number
43 @ 28"  (is this 43# at 28"??)Yes, 43# when drawn to 28".
L.H           ( I get this left hand) :happy1:

From what I have been able to find the scorpion is a 60" semi-recurve. Because of the short length of the bow the stacking effect will be greater than a longer bow. Probably something like 39-40#@27" and 45-48#@29". Drawing a short bow past 29" wouldn't be advisable.

As for the string, the general rule of thumb is 3" shorter for longbows and 4" shorter for recurves. I would start with a 56" string and see how it shoots. Depending on the recurve of the limbs it should give you a 6.5-8" brace height. This is all assuming it is indeed a 60" bow. Before buying a string measure the unstrung bow from string grove to string groove. It should end up around 59ish inches. If you end up needing a shorter string you can always add a few twists to the string or in some cases guys will even tie knots in their strings to make them shorter. It sounds crazy but it works great.

Last thing, NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER try to string your bow without a stringer. The step-through method is murder on your limbs, especially laminated limbs. Anybody that tries to tell you otherwise is a backwoods hayseed that would be doing the world a favor if they sewed their lips together. :rotflmao:
"when a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is twenty feet closer to god." -Fred Bear-

Offline mathews4ever

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Whoops, my bad. I forgot to answer your question about arrows. I am by no means an expert but I can tell you what I use. My bow of choice is my 1962 Kodiak Special 42#@28". It is strung to a 8.75" brace height and has a center cut riser. With the exception that my bow is 6" longer than yours it is quite similar.

I shoot 30" Easton Epic 600s. I used the OEM inserts and replaced the nocks with Nockturnal lighted nocks. I have 10" wraps with four 5" shield cut feathers. I fletch all my arrows with as much helical as a Bitzenbeger fletching jig can muster. Then the crowning jewel that makes the whole thing fly like an angel, a 300 grain point. If my memory isn't failing me that brings my total arrow weight to something like 650 grains.

I know it sounds nuts to put a 300 grain point on a 600 spine shaft but it works. Most guys are going to tell you that they are far too weak but those guys are shooting precision tuned compounds with releases. That means their arrows fly true right off the bow. When shooting a trad bow with fingers, the act of the string rolling off your fingers and the arrow bending around the riser means a soft spine is a necessity to consistently accurate arrow flight.

I know you mentioned that you were thinking about going with cedar shafts but if you decided to go with carbons you are free to try mine before you buy your own. Whiteoakbuck mentioned you live in the North Branch area. I am up there fairly often so it would be no trouble for us to meet up.

Here's a pic of my arrows. Notice the fletchings are a little farther from the nock to leave room for your fingers. I didn't account for that when I fletched them the first time

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
thank you.. very informative. I'm going to head up to harris here when I get a chance and see if they can set me up. (I think I owe myself that little gift)

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman

what I have here...

Blackhawk scorpion

the numbers are...

766          (guessing model number???)Production Date (7)July (66)1966
85-3465   (no clue as to this number maybe a serial number?)Serial Number
43 @ 28"  (is this 43# at 28"??)Yes, 43# when drawn to 28".
L.H           ( I get this left hand) :happy1:

From what I have been able to find the scorpion is a 60" semi-recurve. Because of the short length of the bow the stacking effect will be greater than a longer bow. Probably something like 39-40#@27" and 45-48#@29". Drawing a short bow past 29" wouldn't be advisable.

As for the string, the general rule of thumb is 3" shorter for longbows and 4" shorter for recurves. I would start with a 56" string and see how it shoots. Depending on the recurve of the limbs it should give you a 6.5-8" brace height. This is all assuming it is indeed a 60" bow. Before buying a string measure the unstrung bow from string grove to string groove. It should end up around 59ish inches. If you end up needing a shorter string you can always add a few twists to the string or in some cases guys will even tie knots in their strings to make them shorter. It sounds crazy but it works great.

Last thing, NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER try to string your bow without a stringer. The step-through method is murder on your limbs, especially laminated limbs. Anybody that tries to tell you otherwise is a backwoods hayseed that would be doing the world a favor if they sewed their lips together. :rotflmao:
I replied earlier and it didnt take?Probably my error 766 yes July 1966 year of production,85-3465 Is 85th made of model 3465.These bows are hard to find specs, real hard the fellows who made em made many different styles and models!! and yes at 28 inch draw is rated at 43 lbs of thrust off the shelf.Which is supposedly max draw these shouldnt be drawn beyond 28 (supposedly) for safe usage.string the sucker any way you can thats  just stand it upright put down pressure on the upper limb and slide the string up to its seat.You dont need to intertwine any body parts just down pressure which will distribute even pressure throuout the limbs.Most bows of that age have the base wood of Osage orange spruce and decorative colored wood flexable woods with a man made resin  Then they finished em with OH geeze the finish thats chewed by a insect?? What is that Mind Phart?? rub it with lots of lemon oil to restore flexibility.What is that finish??It restricted needed a Moisture as a sealent.The scorpion came in different leghnts target and hunting measure yours in its relaxed state.Old timers would say get a string that gives a How can I say this?A thumbs up hand measurement from the riser to the string Kinda from the base of your hand to yer extended thumb.Should be about 9 inches.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine