Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Woe is me - and my Humminbird  (Read 7183 times)

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
I bought a fancy Hummingbird depth finder/GPS and I think this is the third summer I've had it. Paid about $700 bucks for it. Well last August everything blew up on it and had to send it to Hummin... to the tune of $280 bucks (I think). Well 2 weeks ago my exit button quit working (so I'm stuck in various windows) and power button won't turn it off. Call Hummindicks and they said they would do me a big favor and only charge me $180 to fix the thing. I'm pissed.

So looking at new units. I have a couple Humminbird map chips for it too $130 each. Makes it a bit tougher to switch to Lowrance. Any thoughts or suggestions? Just got back from Cabela's, HB 859 is $649, HB 559 w/ down imagingin $699, Lowrance HDS-7 $899.
I can sell the chips. The chip for Lowrance for North America (or US) is $100 I was told.

Not too happy with Humminbird!
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Dang sorry about your luck.  I've always been a lowrance fan but my h2o was a junk product from them.  However with bird and Minotaur hooking up together I'd say go with the bird but make sure it's i-link compatible.  HD I think has the down low on that info.  If not that just send it in and get it fixed again and hope for the best that this time it won't break again.  Hurry up though your going to need it soon  ;)
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'll tell ya anything you wanna know....did a lot of learn'in on these when I bought mine. If your linking it to the trolling motor it gets complicated. The graphics on the Lowrance were less than that of the Humminbird because of the down imagining. (if you care about that) The down imagining does not work with the Minkota transducer (you have to purchase a separate one)

The chips for the Humminbird are 124.99, (either lakemaster or navionics) The Lowrance, are about the same. (maybe a little less)
« Last Edit: July 07/10/14, 09:00:29 AM by HD »
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Bad news for sure.  You'd expect to get more than a couple years from a piece of equipment like this.  I don't know which is a better brand but I am interested in the side imaging stuff they have now. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
   I have always had Lowrance but with HB purchasing Lakemaster
 I would stick with them.  I could see upgrades coming that will not be compatable with Lowrance.
« Last Edit: July 07/10/14, 09:30:45 AM by DDSBYDAY »
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I, myself, think that the Lowrance has / had better map graphics (going by what I have on my hand held and what I have on my new Humminbird) But, I do not know what, if anything, has changed with the new Lowrance mapping.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
  These new electronics are just circuit boards.  The standard warranty is one year from date of purchase.  They are forced to manufacture them with low lead solder to keep the greenies happy so the boards do not hold up as well.  Just leaving it on your boat in the hot sun can cause a solder connection to let loose.  At least the children are safe if they decide to  take one apart and suck on or eat the circuit boards.   :doah:
« Last Edit: July 07/10/14, 11:39:59 AM by DDSBYDAY »
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Bummer Fawk...u looking for the combo units I assume. If just looking for depth finder I would suggest u look at the old Vexilar Edge with their double transducers.  I have added one to my tiller.  They are much better at getting rid of all the non fish arcs u see on the lowrance or bird.  The Linders have them on their boats.  Vexilar has the best record of all for reliability and warranty.  I use my lowrance for the map only except for occasional use of the down imaging.  Before u buy a new one call Reed's in walker they will usually beat any price even the box stores.  Ask for Corey.  I spent a couple hrs on the water a couple years ago comparing lowrance vs bird side finders I personally could read the lowrance better. Would be nice to have the I link with your trolling motor though.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
You can link a Lowrance (just different cables)

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
You can link a Lowrance (just different cables)

But with a bird and a lake master chip can't u program your I pilot to follow a set contour depth?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Only if it's "Ipilot linked" capable, not just an "Ipilot"

And to a certain extent, you can do that with a Lowrance. Just make the trail on the Ipilot and program it to follow that same trail again.

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
The saga continues...

Got a new unit last August. Similar to what I had. Went out fishing with Wyofish on Sunday. He hooked it up while I backed the boat in. MOFO doesn't work. No screen. Brought it to Cabela's to see if it had to do with my wiring. MOFO doesn't work. Son-of-a-bitch. What kind of crap are these idiots selling!

So let's see, I got about 6 months of use out of it. I'll let you know how things go when I contact Humminbitch tomorrow.
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Sorry to hear fawk.  Hope it works out.

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
 :sorry: man. That's really sucksville! :taz:
« Last Edit: September 09/02/15, 09:46:35 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Bet it made you day "fawkinee" 
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Hope the bird isn't goin the way of lowrance!which has the worst customer service bar none.Like everything else the low end stuff is just that,guys I fish with on the tour swear by the bird,but for $2k it better work!Just a step down in the 9 series you get a larger screen and great quality.

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hey! Good news! Humminbird says they will repair the unit for no charge!
I've spent $450 bucks on repairs in the last 2 years. I'm happy and I'll mail it in tomorrow.

I appreciate your support and comments.  :happy1:

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Glad to hear.   :happy1:

Lowrance has always done right by me.  I guess I only ever had to call them on an H2O 2 times (boy that was a crappy product) and they made it right.  Everything else has never broken.  I honestly can say the people I personally know with lowrance depth finders have never had a problem, which is maybe 5 or 6 guys.  The guys I know (fawk and hunter) have birds and they are at 50%.  Not a big sample size and wouldn't make me choose one over the other.

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
Got the unit back today!