Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Too much LAND?  (Read 3668 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Is it possible?  Not according to my uncle who once told me to buy any land attached to mine if it comes up for sale.  He always said, if it's for sale, pay them what they are asking and figure out later what to do with it.  Mostly because there is only so much land that boarders on yours and it doesn't often come up for sale.  Over the past 10 years, I purchased around 140 acres on my eastern boarder.  Last Friday my brother in law and I closed on 100+ acres that boarders on my west and his north property lines.  This property although not the best for deer, does have a 10 acre pond of which I now own the southern one third. 

I took this picture this spring.  The field is also part of the property.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline rod-man

• Outdoorsman
SWEET  I'm very jealous
we live in town for now
Be safe  share the water <*)}}}}}><~~~~

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Way to go!!!!!

Looks like a spot for a huge food plot. :happy1:
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
very nice!. looks like a duck pond to me!

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
land is the best investment.. they're not making more of it and it will always be worth something
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Nice!  Congrats on getting another piece next to yours!  Your Uncle was correct!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Good job! My fathernwould be wealthy if he bought every chunk of land he had an opportunity to buy 35 years ago. Land seems to be the only solid investment these days.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thanks guys. If only I could get my wife to see it that way. :king:
Of course it doesn't always come without problems.  I anticipate some issues with people who used to hunt on this land.  The land was in the same family (passed on to the kids when dad died) since 1950.  (Like I said, land next to yours doesn't come up for sale very often).  They pretty much let anyone hunt on it.  Also, one neighbor has a small parcel of land and they hunt this land a lot.  There is about 40 acres of woods and 23 acres of field with the rest brush, swamp and open water so there are some excellent deer hunting areas.  Could be interesting.  I may be looking for ideas on how to approach this situation with the people who in the past hunted this land.     

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
How big is that pond?  Any depth for some fish?  Its always been a dream of mine to have a small pond on my land where I can fish some monster blue gills.

NICE BUY though.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Invite them out to the local cafe for coffee on nuetral ground and approach it respectfully, if their good sportsman theyll understand.
78.50"

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
get some new signs up with your phone number. and maybe a little poem like. roses are red violets are blue.. you used to hunt here , but now your trespassing.

see how that works.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Violets are blue, u used to hunt here but now you thru. Sorry had to tweek it.
78.50"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Too funny :Clap:

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
FINE... if I have too... i'll sit in a stand there and explain to anyone that shows up that there is new management...

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
MTCOMMER, the pond is about 10 acres.  I own about 1/3 of the shore line. 

I went last week out to walk some of this property.  About two years ago an old fiberglass boat showed up down near the pond.  I tried to find out the owner but the DNR wouldn't tell me. (They did tell me they knew who owned it)  Short story, Not knowing what to expect, I ask the DNR to have the owner call me.  Turns out the boat owner is a neighbor (the group that hunts this property) who had given it to a relative who planned to use it for duck hunting but never did.  This guy knew we bought the land and we talked for a while about hunting, boarders, and stand locations.  We plan to meet sometime to figure out the new hunting situation.