Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Fished Harriet Island dock  (Read 2531 times)

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday I got out and fished on the Harriet Island public dock for the first time.  The water is very low now, depth is only about 4-6ft to the right of the docks.  Fished with spoons, lost a few in the logs (rookie mistake).  Needless to say I only had 2 bites, one got off right at the dock - I think it was a little smallie.  The other was a bigger hit and then dove into some sticks/logs and I had to break my line.
Next time I head out there, I will use a lindy rig/crawler harness with a hefty weight, ill be able to cast that out in the current and who knows what I will catch.  Guy was catching catfish and redhorse yesterday, Id be hoping for a rougue walleye, but realistically ANYTHING THAT WILL BITE!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday I got out and fished on the Harriet Island public dock for the first time.  The water is very low now, depth is only about 4-6ft to the right of the docks.  Fished with spoons, lost a few in the logs (rookie mistake).  Needless to say I only had 2 bites, one got off right at the dock - I think it was a little smallie.  The other was a bigger hit and then dove into some sticks/logs and I had to break my line.
Next time I head out there, I will use a lindy rig/crawler harness with a hefty weight, ill be able to cast that out in the current and who knows what I will catch.  Guy was catching catfish and redhorse yesterday, Id be hoping for a rougue walleye, but realistically ANYTHING THAT WILL BITE!
I shore fished that area all the way down to Redwing where I grew up till NSP bought the farm then moved to the cities.I lived right where the Nuke power plant is PrarieIsland.A better sopt is across the river where NSP is or used to be.Then another is the creek of Pickerle lake flows into the river.I aint been there for years! The best spot was where the Mn river meets the sippi below fort Snelling,That was eyes there.The other spots were roughfish unless meat was used for bait then it was cats.We always used bottom style fishing heavy weight with a barrel transition to a 2-3 ft leaded the weight was on the rod side of the barrel so it would lie on bottom and if a fish took it no resistance was felt.Lost lots a weights but caught some BIG fish. We didnt care what we caught just kids havin fun.At the Mn and miss confluance grand ma and pa would drive us thereto far for bicycles.They wanted eyes to eat so we went fairly often.If you got a boat I can put you on eyes all year long out of SoStPaul under the 494 bridge landing.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
we used to get back in by pigseye when we were younger. for carp and what not.. a case of beer a heavy hook and a chunk of whatever on the line.. we caught some big nasty fish there. carp/cats.. it was just fun hooking something big.  call me a p*ssy but I still don't think I would eat anything out of that water.

if you happen to snag an old outboard.. its ours. my brother didn't tighten it down all the way and it flew off right around there.. thanks for bringing up harriet island.. I think i'll call that brother today and remind him of what dipsh*t he is for not tightening it down.. I know it was 25 years ago.. but come-on
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"