Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Food plot advice  (Read 2399 times)

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
One of the field on our property is still pretty wet from all the rain.  We are looking to till up a little in the next few weeks for a FALL plot, however, I have never planted a fall plot before.
I am planning on planting in early October, will that be enough time for it to grow, or should I shoot for middle of September.
Reason for planting in Oct is that its Turkey, Pheasant and Deer season - so I can hunt while im up there too.
Advice is appreciated, ALSO - I know where are lots of types of 'fall plot mixes' what do people recommend, and what will grow the thickest/fastest.
Thanks.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Rye grain, oats, and clover.   plant in sept.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I would plant as early as possible. For my "fall plots" I typically will plant right around the 1st of August which is usually a gamble due to lack of rain that time of year. This year has been great!!

Something low maintenance:

I agree with dakids... Rye Grain is a great choice. Buddy told me about this stuff and its great!

I would sprinkle in some clover and maybe some rape, turnips, and even radishes with that.

Lastly just buy it at your local feed mill. Where are you living? If in the metro still i'd head up to ej houles in Forest Lake. Love that place and they usually have everything you need at an awesome price! (you'd think I owned the place.. haha)

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the replies guys.  I am trying to see when I will be able to get up to the land.  Unfortunately I don't know if I can get up there that early... so perhaps I will plant late, and hope for warm weather and rain late into the season.
I figure if it doesn't grow, OH WELL.  Im sure something will grow, so it wont be all lost.

Early September is when I expect my schedule will allow planting.  Luckily I believe the land is low and stays wet for a while, so maybe that will be to my advantage.  Who knows... Trial and Error - only 1 way to find out.
Ill let you guys know if it actually grows.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Thanks for the replies guys.  I am trying to see when I will be able to get up to the land.  Unfortunately I don't know if I can get up there that early... so perhaps I will plant late, and hope for warm weather and rain late into the season.
I figure if it doesn't grow, OH WELL.  Im sure something will grow, so it wont be all lost.

Early September is when I expect my schedule will allow planting.  Luckily I believe the land is low and stays wet for a while, so maybe that will be to my advantage.  Who knows... Trial and Error - only 1 way to find out.
Ill let you guys know if it actually grows.

good luck!

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
i use shot plot from evolved harvest. it is a mix of brassicas and grows fast. depending on weather it could still be ok to plant. probly not much longer though. supposed to frow 24" in 45 days. they do like nitrogen though and if you havent planted legumes in there for at least 2 years or if its not virgin ground you will need to fertilize with a lot of nitrogen. we have found that our brassica plots need to be rotated often or they suck the nitrogen out of the soil and dont do well.
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
I wasn't able to get up there to plant last weekend - but I was able to get my old man to plant for me.  :happy1:  Heck of a father!!
They planted some fall mixture with rye, rape, clover, (not exactly sure what all he said was in there)  I trusted him to pick up some stuff, and I figure as long as something grows, its better than nothing.
We got a half acre planted out by one of our stands, and then a smaller row out by the other.  We have 2 acres of corn and 2 acres of beans out by my stand (which is a great crop this year - last year sucked)
I will be going up there to bow hunt in early October, so I will hopefully be able to post some pictures.