Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Mowing clover mix.  (Read 1789 times)

Offline FCSpringer

• Outdoorsman
    • bluerivergundogs.com
I planted an antler king trophy clover mix and I had trouble with quack grass coming in with it bad so I mowed it down to the height of your yard basically. Has anyone done this and had the rape, turnips etc. still come back? Last time I did this the grass was not like this. Guess a week or two will tell the tale. I have mowed other years just not that short.
When you think you are smarter then your dog, ask yourself, "Who cleans up who's poo"

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
The clover should come back. If you did not get in to the root of the turnip it will grow new tops. the rape may be done for but I had some that came back after being covered by heavy snow all winter so it may start up again also.
This year was bad with all the rain, so the quack grass took over a couple of my plots. If only I could get it to grow that good in my yard!!

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Usually you don't want to mow quite that short...just try to take the heads off the clover so it stimulates the clover to respond with new growth.  That new growth is what the deer really like.  If you let your clover flower and seed out, the response of the plant is to then start going into dormancy...which is a less palatable forage.  If you clip the flower heads off, then you usually will get your grass heads as well.

Be careful to now mow if your brassicas or too leafy as that can lay a "mulch" down on top of the ground that will act as a barrier an not let the plants regrow.

Land Dr

Offline FCSpringer

• Outdoorsman
    • bluerivergundogs.com
The good is that the clover never got tall enough yet to get hit by the mower. I went over it 3-4 times and blew off the mulch, why it ended up short. I think the grass blocked some of the clover as it was all just starting. Not sure what was all in the trophy clover mix, but them big leafy plants were good sized. I guess I can always broadcast some more seed in next spring or here in a couple weeks if needed. I was told to spray it with select. Anyone try that for the grass? We got a great rain last night a day later and the weather should be great for germination the next month, so I am hopeful. Deer have been hitting it so the word is out LOL.
When you think you are smarter then your dog, ask yourself, "Who cleans up who's poo"

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Often your clovers come in slow the first year and then look really good the following years with adequate fertility and moisture.

The grasses are not always that bad.  Rotational grazers know those "weeds" are often high in protein as well.  Clipping the grass weeds prior to them heading out will keep them young and nutritious as well and a good food source.  If they are annual weeds, they will phase out the following year.

Land Dr

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
If it is indeed quack grass, you could consider spraying it this fall.  Generally most of the clover will survive the spraying and the grass will be dead.  You can then over seed again in the spring and the quack should not be a problem.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***