Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Unconfirmed rumor about bug spray and fish locators  (Read 3050 times)

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
  Like I said in the title I can't confirm this to be true but it is something to be cautious about   :scratch:.  A good friend of mine told me that a guide friend of his warned him about getting bug spray on his graph.  He mentioned that the deet reacts with the seals around the buttons and will eat away at them.  It it true?  My friend said that shortly after hearing this he was fishing with a buddy who went after some ankle biter flies with some deep woods off getting some on his locator.  The next time he went out the graph was @#$??ed.   He is a believer and will always go down wind of the graph to apply bug spray.

I just thought I would throw this out there.  The repair and replacement of these hi tech electronics is not cheap. 
« Last Edit: August 08/21/14, 08:02:53 AM by DDSBYDAY »
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Nice post DDS. :happy1:

This is so true. I've had the finish on two rods screwed up due to over spray from bug juice. Years ago I also had the crystal (plastic) on a watch damaged from this. Anytime someone pulls out the bug spray in my boat I quickly go into :taz: panic mode. Clients look at me like I'm nuts :scratch:. That's until I explain the problem to um. :bow:
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
  I did a little more research and confirmed the rumor.  100% deet is a great plasticizer.  Not only will it eat the plastic of the case, it will damage the screen and turn gaskets into goo.  It will wreck the finish on your boat and motors as well.   Spray carefully and watch the over spray.  Deet kills more than just bugs.   :happy1:

I almost forgot to mention it eats fishing lines as well.  :doah:
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Interesting,thanx for the info,just think what it does once inhaled  :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
what????????? :scratch: yea cant "HUFF" SQEETER SPRAY!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :rotflmao: dam!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
Same is true about bug spray and the bluing on your gun.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Retired on Osakis

• Master Outdoorsman
I just troll fast enough that the bugs can't catch me.  :bonk: Maybe I'm not catching any fish because they can't catch me either. :scratch: :doah:

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Must be a cheap humminbird.  Get a lowrance.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood