Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Chicken of the woods  (Read 1334 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
While out on deadeyes land we found a chicken of the woods.  I had never eaten one before and wanted to try it.  I have done a bit of research and talked to a neighbor that used to eat it all the time.  My neighbor offered to cook some up.  So today we cooked some up.  It does have the consistency of chicken.  Tastes ok but not like a mushroom.    I tried it plain and fried in butter.  It took on the flavor of the butter.  We also used it as a substitute for chicken in kong pow chicken.  That was my favorite way.  I can't say that I would go out and hunt for it like I do the morel, but I would harvest it again and eat it in different dishes.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
you win.. i think i would be the chicken when it came to eating a mushroom like that. i would have no idea what to look for. and i'm sure would end up with kidney failure or having some white elephants fly me home
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
you win.. i think i would be the chicken when it came to eating a mushroom like that. i would have no idea what to look for. and i'm sure would end up with kidney failure or having some white elephants fly me home

You were correct about the flying white elephant beeker and dakids turned into a dove. :rotflmao:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again