Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: He is winning  (Read 6108 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
We have chased this bear for 5 years over 3 different seasons.  Its the same thing every year.  We have multiple bears hitting our sites before the season and a day or 2 before the season he moves in and chases off all the smaller bears and is the only bear to ever come back to the site. He usually comes in an hour after sunset at the earliest. 

We have tried everything I know of to get him to make a mistake.  Less food, other bears poop at the site, honey burn, taking food back out when we leave, have one hunter leave 30 min. before sunset while other hunter waits.  We have tried different bait sites all 3 years. 

The only thing I haven't tried is a predator call.  Any suggestions?
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: :scratch:turn your clocks ahead??? :scratch: :bonk: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:guess that's why he is big. Ya done about everything I could think of. Only 2 things you haven't mentioned is bringing in the bait when you go hunt and carry it out so there is none there or the turn on the radio trick after you leave at nite.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Some bears are ment to live old. He knows hoe these rodeos work, and maybe been shot at before or even survied a bow hit. So he knows that a seite means bad things. If not he could just be uncomfetable comig to ur site till dark. Let the site go emptybut nit for more than a day then the next day do a scent drag 3-400 yards away to maybe a more secluded spot. Set up a stand half way between the two sites. Try hunting the scent trail. Hes coming to the site and just holding up til after dark. Maybe u can intercept him as hes aproaching the secondary site just be for he holds up. He should make his approach along the scent trail so let him find a few nibblets along the way.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Here are a few pics from this last weekend when I was up north helping dad.  He is huge compared to the 55 gallon drum.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
A mature bear coiming in on those times will be tough to impossible.hell his head is as big as stump. Im impressed. Thats qwsome and a privilage just to have a bear of that caliber on yur site.one other thing to try is sow in heat and lay it on thick.sows have delayed implantion of eggs. To increases the odds of a mature boar with his large home range to meet each other when shes in estrus. Its a little late but ive heard of sows coming into estrust as late as early august. Dont get the aresol can. Get on line and order real stuff. I deal with a company that has real scent.
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
no doubt, that things a biggin!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thanks guys.  He isn't even touching the sweats stuff. Only the beef fat.  We did try that bear bomb in a can. We will try the real bear pee next time.  This site we he is hitting now has a more open area to the south so he can't circle down wind.  He basicly stepps out of a slashing and into the bait site.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Then i feel you need to go into the slashing and get as thick as possible, he dosent like to expose himself.
78.50"

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The previous 2 seasons we were in the thickest stuf and he always circled us or would just lay down in the 2 year old slashing 50 yards behind bait site. We could see the small trees parting as he aproached and he would just stop and wait us out.  I could have went in after him but he might have eaten me.

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
The previous 2 seasons we were in the thickest stuf and he always circled us or would just lay down in the 2 year old slashing 50 yards behind bait site. We could see the small trees parting as he aproached and he would just stop and wait us out.  I could have went in after him but he might have eaten me.

Dammit dakids, if you're going to let him eat you, at least wait until the Fishing Challenge is over.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Likeni mentioned then, put a stand or a ground brush blind wher hes holding up. I think its the only way. And get up 16 ft or better. So ur scent is high. 
78.50"

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service

Dammit dakids, if you're going to let him eat you, at least wait until the Fishing Challenge is over.

Would dat be considered :scratch:

"DA AGONY OF DA": :blues brothers:

« Last Edit: September 09/17/14, 05:07:01 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service

Would dat be considered :scratch:

"DA AGONY OF DA": :blues brothers:

I can Bear-Lee stand Lee's sense of humor :doah:

« Last Edit: September 09/17/14, 05:23:29 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I will try and go to google earth this weekend and post a few pictures of where we hunted him and also where a local guide tried to get him.  The guide also had no luck getting him to show himself in the light of day.  This bear has been hunted every year for at least the last 6 years. 
Here is our first pic of him at one of our salt licks.

daytime picture before season started.  no bait 

springtime picture

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Cool! Its too bad thwt he dominates the site. Like i said some bear are ment to die old. I guesse if i were u and the history with this bear id let the site go dry and let hm move on so mybe another bear might move in for you. But hose bewr pribabley have movd on also. The onley other option i would do is is a bear drive. Set iit like a deer drive. Google earth, and locate any possible travel rout or funnel he would use if being push thru the woods. Have a small bunch of drivers and couple of lisenced posters. Set precise spots. I would check regulations on this first. As fw as who would need to be lisenced to participate in this. It could be done with a few lisenced hunters. I think u have to go get him.
78.50"

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Wow that is a trophy!  I like Boars Idea of a bear drive!  Better not show the pics of how big he is though to the drivers.. ;)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
No bear drive for me. Last thing I want is a marganal shot and then tracking a wounded very pissed off bear.   Maybe early snow and track him

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Well then dont take a marginal shot. If uu dont have a cleqr good shot let him walk. Its not lime hes gona be bolting thru the wooods  like a deer. I would set up on a funnel or travel route with a good opportunity to take a shot.. this bear will probabley die of old age. Still fun to have at a site tho. If you know of anyone whos shot a bear recently and has a hide to get rid of, mayne the hide scent would do better than a turd.
78.50"

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
ya that's a tough call.. we usually are running the bear with hounds in Wisconsin.. so beyond that I'm not sure what to do
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey beeker... Boar doesn't have a clue either. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :doah:

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
but there is a picture of a bear in boars ID thingy??? now I'm confused   :bonk:
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
he has missed a few days.  He is still coming in well after sunset.  We haven't given up yet but my focus has switched to deer.

Anybody have a few suggestions for a name for this bear?

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
How about you name him captain.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
How about, Dabear. Dakids, Dabear, get it......
78.50"

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
how about "Good Luck" cause you'll need it.
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well DA bears won that I was chasi!!!! :bonk: :bonk: :doah: :doah:

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
For this year i'll just call him DaWinner