Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: chain saw question  (Read 5656 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
got a poulan chainsaw that doesnt want to oil. I found the little port or hose I think the oil comes from. cleaned it out real good but still doesn't oil. cant find a set screw that may adjust flow. any ideas??????????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Poulan is a cheaper version of a Husqvarna, but made similar. You may have to drain all the oil and back pressure the oiler with some compressed air. They plug easily with saw dust.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: thanks HD. WILL TRY THAT.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
My brother in law bought a Poulan and it did that from the get go.  Every time I use it, I just keep dumping oil on the bar.  Pain in A$$.     
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Throw it on craigslist and then buy a stihl or johnsred and call it a day.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
got a poulan chainsaw that doesnt want to oil. I found the little port or hose I think the oil comes from. cleaned it out real good but still doesn't oil. cant find a set screw that may adjust flow. any ideas??????????
I always used Poulan saws.Except when I lived by Duluth and some income was selling firewood.As a home owner that uaes a chainsaw for trimming or just blocking up a cord or two they are excellent! That said heres a answer fer ya.
 Tell ya what gramps.I have done a number of these when I lived in wood heat country.Been a long time! but their all built similarly.Behind the centrifugal clutch drive is the oil pump gear.There all plastic gears and some will last the life of the saw then some wear out quickly.Must be the seating of them??? or a flaw??I dont know.Where the sprocket is that the chain hooks to on the body of the machine to drive the chain That needs pulled, below it is the oil pump, cheap plastic chit!! Replace it. NOW  I say this because you said you cleaned all oil ports,If they are clean and let oil pass and it wont its the pump.Got a model # I can pass along a manual showing parts.
 The old push the oiler button was fail safe then they switched to these for the weak of thumb people?? Or lazy and they sure get more $$ for replacement parts.I can fix it if you gotz a winning powerball ticket to share wit me
 EDIT ADDON here.The oil pump costs 55 bucks,Your best bet is just buy a new one for a 14 inch about 100 bucks a 16 is bout 120.As a homeowner saw I have the 14 inch,Thats all I need as I'm not a logger

« Last Edit: September 09/20/14, 08:49:11 AM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I figured dew2 would have the answer to this..

i'll stick with my Husqvarna 455 rancher for my home burning needs.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Its not mine. Was my dads. Kinda a community for cabin saw now. Will try HD,s method first.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I had a small engine guy I used to bring stuff too (shop is closed up now, don't know what happened).. i'll never forget the first time I brought him a "menards" special weed wacker, he does the old man "ohhh ya".. "I got a dumpster out back if you don't want to hall it home, but I won't work on that"...
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Its not mine. Was my dads. Kinda a community for cabin saw now. Will try HD,s method first.
Well Glenn if it has sentimental value and you want it repaired bring it down.A 12 pack will be yer charge,You can probably get the parts in St'Cloud easier than I can get them around here.I most always have parts shipped to me that's at times a large extra cost.The model # is important!! the serial # is also just in case a change in production happened around the time it was manufactured.
« Last Edit: September 09/21/14, 07:28:35 PM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I explained the senerio to mom. I will try the plugged oil line theory first. Then let her decide. No sentimental value really.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I thougbt ur kids biught it for christmas.........
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea they bought me one for Christmas. This one was my dads and stays at the cabin. Its OK boar.....I understand. :doah: :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
played with the saw this past week. long story short must be the pump. brought it home so mom can decide. that poulan has cut a lot of wood in its day and been good for a long time. if we need to replace it there will be another poulan just like it for swapping out parts and chains!!!!!