Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: I lost my Bud  (Read 5581 times)

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
ALMOST THIRTEEN YEARS  ago to the day I lost my lab Bud. Bud was a year and half old and my son took him out bird hunting with a buddy. They lost Bud in the woods about an hours drive from home. The son came home well after dark to tell me they lost Bud and as hard as they looked they could not find him. I called into work telling my boss I was going to be late and with the youngest daughter we grabbed flashlights and drove the hour drive and under the stars we started calling out Bud's name. My daughter found Bud or I should say she found her. At the edge of a field she saw eyes reflecting in her flashlight as Bud ran across the field to jump into her arms, no doubt as happy as we were to see him as he was to see us. On the ride back home Bud laid on the seat next to me with his head leaning up against my thigh and for the next thirteen years he has never left it till this morning.

Bud was having health problem and we knew this day was coming. Early yesterday morning Bud had several seizures and it was time. As I sat up with him during the night I didn't leave his side. When morning came I called the daughter who made arrangements with the vet and a afternoon appointment was set. I spent the time outside digging a grave in the rain, my tears mixing in with the rain drops. I made several trips inside to check on Bud, he was in good hands as Duncan the young lab was at his side. The time came and the daughter and wife took Bud to the vet, I didn't go, I could not handle seeing my Bud go.

This morning I woke up to the first time in over fourteen years and did not see Bud's face in mine. I went in search of my slippers and I could not find one. I finally did under the kitchen table where the wife without thinking said that Bud probably put it there. I left the slipper where it was and put on my boots and went outside. Going to take me awhile, everywhere I look I see Bud I grow very attatched to my dogs and losing one is o so very hard. Bud was by best pal, my wing man, the one I told secrets to as he was very good at not telling anyone them. He was always there for me  and as I type this I am crying like a baby and I don't care. Bud, Buddy, The Old Man and also called Budrick when he was in trouble was a good dog, a good friend.

I went back in the house and took off my boots and went looking for my other slipper that was under the kitchen table. When I got there it was gone. I asked the wife and she said she had not moved it. I went into the den with one slipper on and in search of the other. I found it, under my desk in Duncan's mouth. He has learned well from Bud...

Thanks for reading this, pet your dog or rub your cat they are never here long enough so love then hard while you can, Bobby.
« Last Edit: October 10/04/14, 08:30:41 PM by Bobby Bass »
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
   Bobby I am very sorry for your loss.  I lost my wingman of 16 years 2 winters ago.  I still miss him very much.  I went through 2 divorces and it was nothing like losing Bailey.  My younger dog was not the same either.  She was depressed for a long time.  I buried my buddy that  Feb.  through frozen ground.  That was an all day project.    I haven't been able to bring myself to get another one yet.  I know I should because my little one, that is all grown up now spends way too much time by herself.  I still have a hard time talking about it now.  Again I'm sorry for your loss.   It's good that you have Duncan to share your thoughts with.   :happy1:
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Real men do cry! There's probably not a person here that hasn't gone through the same event many times over yet we keep replacing our animals. Many of us say never again but, we soon replace our pets because we need them and they need us. Borgie and I are so sorry for your loss.

Just remember that your dog is now waiting for you on a bridge to heaven so when your time comes you can cross over together.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
sorry to hear that bobby. it is a terrible thing to have to go through. mine is getting there and I dread the day.

Online MN RACK ATTACK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
My heart goes out to you. I had to put mine down on May 22nd and life isn't the same. Sorry for your lose.
2020 Big Buck Slayer

Offline Wicked Jester

• Outdoorsman
So sorry for your loss Bobby. We all know how tough it is. I lost my Bitty on July 1st, 2013. Not a day goes by that I don't think about her. I'll always miss her. But the happiness, companionship, and friendship they bring to our lives out weighs the pain when they go. That's why we always seem to get another. There's just nothing like a good dog.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That's a tough loss for sure.  You will always have the memories.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Man bobby I know your agony. My heart goes out to you and bud. I too am so very attached to my hounddogs. Hang I'm there the memories will always be there.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline rod-man

• Outdoorsman
 We lost our 14yr old "Rosie" this spring
It is incredibly hard to do but harder to watch them suffer
I cried as I read this I understand your loss
we had rose cremated and she is in a urn on our night stand
so she still sleeps with us
and I'm sure when I go the wife will put me behind her on the night stand
after all you need to have priorities LOL
give Duncan a big hug
« Last Edit: October 10/03/14, 06:14:11 AM by rod-man »
Be safe  share the water <*)}}}}}><~~~~

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Sorry for your loss. 
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Bobby sorry for your loss.  Our closest hunting companions are hard to lose....

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
sorry to hear that. its a hard day when your dog goes down.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Right off I want to say thank you for your comments. Somehow sharing has a way of diminishing bad moments and improving good moments. I am better today then I was yesterday but there are just so many triggers around it will take awhile to get used to Bud being gone. I caught myself this morning taking three biscuits out of the box when I only needed two and counting dogs coming back in the deck door. Duncan is looking a little lost with out his mentor and Barney, Bud's brother is still sleeping on the floor by the side of my bed, he has not taken Bud's spot. House is quiet with out Bud's barking and now I don't know when the mailman comes, that was Bud's job.

I have gotten calls and e-mail's and a few hugs from some of my buddies who have gone through the same thing over the years. It will take a while but I know I will be able to talk and write about Bud we did have a lot of adventures together, down the road  I would like to share them with you.
Bobby Bass

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Hey bob. Really sorry about your loss of yur beloved dog. Being a father and a pet owner. It really is amzing how our pets affect our lives with in us. I have a coulle dogs an rosie is our oldest at 14 yellow lab. Next spring she will be going on. Keshaw is four lots of time with her.our choc.gsp. we have two cats the kids adore and chucky left us two years ago who was coon to our son nick. It extreamly har for hi. To let chucky go as it was for the rest of our family. He adopted a beutiul femail cat named lizze and and hes say he has chucky back cause lizze is the spitten image of chucky. I get more affected buy the hurt of loss that my family gose thru when lossing a pet. So im strong for them an help with closser with pet funerals and making sure they say goodby. I hope have closure bob.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
It has been a year since I lost my huntin partner Bud, Today starts a new tradition for me as I am going to take Duncan for  a walk down the back trail and see if we can kick up a grouse or two. I am sure Bud will be with in sprit.  :happy1:
Bobby Bass

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
knock down a couple for your bud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Its always sad to read these threads about our best friend and family member,and for some reason I always open the thread up,and it still hurts thinking about my boyz I laid to rest in the past 40 years,Bobby you did the best thing you could do for your pup,why let it suffer,memeories last forever and I think you have a youngen which helps to move on.

Sorry man...