Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Yet another check out  (Read 2535 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I can understand night time check outs because the red glow is visible but it what do they see in the day time?  This is a small camo camera strapped to a tree.  Makes you wonder why they don't see you when you are in a tree stand.  Or, maybe they do but don't care?

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
You probably left some sent on the camera
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have had this happen too. I think there is some noise when the camera triggers and that is what draws their attention.
The deer seem to notice the camera more if it is to the side of the tree, with a screw in mount, than if mounted flat to the tree.

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
I have had this happen too. I think there is some noise when the camera triggers and that is what draws their attention.
The deer seem to notice the camera more if it is to the side of the tree, with a screw in mount, than if mounted flat to the tree.
yes it's the noise that is getting them to look but not be worried.
Hunting is not life and death. It is more important than that.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I have tried to hear the camera but to me it's silent.  Maybe I'm deaf.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Onin24Eagle

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
You need to put the camera higher.  I saw a youtube video on this once.  They put a camera way up in the tree pointing straight down and set it on video, then placed another camera at eye level on the tree.  Basically they were taking video of the deer's reaction to the other camera.  At eye level, most of the bucks and quite a few does reacted negatively to the camera.  Then, just to see if it was a noise or flash issue they removed the batteries from the camera at eye level so it wasn't functioning at all.  The deer still reacted negatively to the camera.  Then they took it a step further and started raising the camera up and filming reactions.  What they found was that if the camera is at least 6 feet off the ground then there's about a 90% reduction in deer reacting to the camera.  Since I saw this I moved all of my cameras about 7-8 feet up and now I get very few pictures of deer or any other animal for that matter looking at my camera.  I just find a stick about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter and wedge it behind the top of the camera to angle it down.  Hope this helps.

I did a search for that video and I couldn't find it but I'll look again when I have more time.  If I find it I'll post the link here.
2011 MNO Deer Hunting Challenge Champion