Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: MNO Lake Trout excursion to Burntside lake this winter  (Read 11138 times)

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Check out Mike's Facebook page he has a giant pout caught at night last Feb 2 on there....Fresh Pout boiled in 7-up and melted butter.. :happy1:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
fresh pout in my favorite walleye batter, oh my!!!
78.50"

Offline Ely Fish House Rental

Walleye are hard to come by on Burntside.  They are roaming around just like the lakers feeding on smelt.  People do occasionally catch them while laker fishing tho.  Lake trout can also be caught at night.  It's not common but I had a couple guys land a couple very nice trout well after dark.  And there is always the chance of a pout.  Put some meat on or near the bottom at night and there is a good chance you will catch a pout.  Lakes are in good shape right now but only time will tell what Burntside will be like on Jan. 17th.

Only a couple more weeks till the BWCA lake trout opener.   :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
So? Are we going to do this? I want to start making arrangements for lodging. I'm going to skip red lake to fish lake trout.

HD
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
  It's still a green light.  I would assume about 9-10" of ice at this time.  If we get some cold temps with no big snow dump it's a go.  I'll post some dates tomorrow. 
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Wife still interested. Its just gota make our schedual and were ther i think
78.50"

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  I'm looking at being on the ice Friday Jan. 23rd through Tues Morning the 27th.  That gives the weekend warriors a chance to come out too.
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Those dates don't work for me. Plus, the super 8 is booked. Can we shoot for later? Like February?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Those dates don't work for me. Plus, the super 8 is booked. Can we shoot for later? Like February?

+1.   Either that or we can go later HD.  Plus TGO will probably point us in the right direction if DDS isn't tagging along. ;)
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
So far, I have a trip planned for the weekend of Feb 7th

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Im booked on Red thru that weekend. im not avaiable till like the second weekend in feb. and a trip that far with eelpout right around the corner is gona be tough, as much as i wanto go it looks like im backing out scott. sorry.
78.50"

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman

+1.   Either that or we can go later HD.  Plus TGO will probably point us in the right direction if DDS isn't tagging along. ;)
[/b]

Burntside should be making ice the next couple of weeks.  With no transportation issues I am going to take a run at it.  General you don't  need TGO's tips.  He just tells you to get your tips at Babes or find a perm with an address of Ely and drill your holes at a 45 degree angle to get under their house.    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline greatoutdoors

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2014, 2015, & 2016 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
Burntside ice conditions are excellent, 14+ inches with only about 8 inches of snow.  Weather (temps) for the opening week of trout look great, and lake travel by any method will let you get to any area you wish to try.
The exception will be DDS who will most likely get stuck in 2 inches of snow about 20 feet from the landing and have to fish there!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
The Great Outdoors
419 East Sheridan Street
Ely, MN 55731 USA
218-365-4744

E mail:  thegreatoutdoors@frontier.com

Like Us on Face Book
https://www.facebook.com/jim.maki.14?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Great-Outdoors-Bait-Tackle/1606420532911075

"The only Ely Bait Shop owned by a lifelong resident.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
   I would rather be stuck than sunk.  Hey TGO does burnside burp when it swallows your vehicles?   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 01/06/15, 02:59:16 PM by DDSBYDAY »

Offline greatoutdoors

• Master Outdoorsman
Not sure, did the lake burp when you forgot to put in the plug, and the lake swallowed your boat??   :scratch:
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
The Great Outdoors
419 East Sheridan Street
Ely, MN 55731 USA
218-365-4744

Like Us on Face Book
https://www.facebook.com/jim.maki.14?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Great-Outdoors-Bait-Tackle/1606420532911075

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Uh oh is ther alot of amunition here someone on the forum dosent want us  to know about????
78.50"

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  Boar let's just say TGO's personalized plates say "STRUCTURE".    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: January 01/06/15, 07:22:12 PM by DDSBYDAY »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
well that makes me wonder if fish have the right of way then. :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
78.50"

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
   The first paragraph of the "Ranger Rules Fishing Bible"  states that you should only resort to a hook and line if you can not dynomite  them or drop a vehicle on them.   :happy1:

Offline greatoutdoors

• Master Outdoorsman
The Ranger was just doing it's DDS' Boat imitation!  ;)
I've heard they installed a periscope on your boat so you can see where you're going, when you forget to put in the plug (which word on the street has it at more than once!!).  :titanic:
The Great Outdoors
419 East Sheridan Street
Ely, MN 55731 USA
218-365-4744

Like Us on Face Book

Offline greatoutdoors

• Master Outdoorsman
Great ice and snow conditions on Burntside Lake for the trout opener.  You can travel anywhere with a 4x4 pickup, snowmobile, and possibly with an ATV (but it will be slower than normal).
Anyone thinking of coming up should consider the opener or early next week while the ideal conditions exist.
Even DDS will have a chance of landing a trout or two, if he doesn't get stuck 20 feet off the landing in the 6-7 inches of snow we have!!! :coffee:
The Great Outdoors
419 East Sheridan Street
Ely, MN 55731 USA
218-365-4744

Like Us on Face Book