Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ice conditions 2014-2015  (Read 17481 times)

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
  Please help our members out with current ice conditions.

As of today I have only seen ice in a minnow bucket.  I would expect with the current drop in temps we should be seeing some of the smaller  ponds and lakes getting iced over.   :happy1:
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I am up in grand rapids mn. there was an inch of ice along our shoreline this morning at the cabin. and how do I know it was an inch........cause I had to bust it up to take the dock out. :bonk: :bonk: the bay was mostly froze over but not the whole lake. one small lake on hwy 38 coming in to grand rapids was completely iced up. looking at the temps up here for later in the week in the single digits will put some ice on the lakes!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sunday morning I was in a deer stand over looking a small beaver pond.  At sunrise, the pond was open water.  As the morning progressed, I watched the ice slowly form from the southern edge across the pond.  By the time I left the stand around 11:30, the pond was 3/4 covered with ice.  This was the first time I ever watch ice form on a pond.  Some might think that's as exciting as watching paint dry but it was really cool to see.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Wyofish

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hope this snow doesn't mess up ice around here. We got a foot today. Supposed to be cold later this week, though.

Offline Retired on Osakis

• Master Outdoorsman
Lake Osakis
I made this report for someone else on another site. Thought I would copy and paste to here.
Had cold calm weather last night and gained about another 50 feet of ice out in front of me. Took a drive around the lake this afternoon and this is my observation. The south end of the lake is frozen over all the way up to just north of Schelfhout Point. From there north the east side is frozen but the west side out to about the middle is still mostly open with ice occasionally extending out into the middle from the east side up to south of Crow Point. Miller's Bay is about three quarters iced over. From Crow Point it is mostly open with some ice on the shorelines mainly where the cattails and rushes are. There was a patch of ice extending out about 15 feet right where the Battle Point access is. Now for Manthey's Bay. The bay is about 85% iced over. Still some open water out in the middle towards the west end of the bay. The ice extends about 100 yards to the west of the 145th access. There is still a foot of open water at the shore of the access and widens out to about 10 feet to the right of the access. That's all I have for now.

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
if you hadnt heard, red lake is froze over, walking out to first break.  atvs by thanksgiving i am guessing
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
was pretty neat coming home from up north today going thru outing. DDS's neck of the woods. Roosevelt was steaming up a storm! no ice on it though except for a small bay north of the bridge right around the corner from the bar off hwy 6.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
On my way through buffalo I saw 2 guys walking out and putting up their ice house.  No fish is worth swimming with them.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
On my way through buffalo I saw 2 guys walking out and putting up their ice house.  No fish is worth swimming with them.

+1 idiots
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
   All ponds and lakes along my morning drive along 694 are locked up this morning.   Silver Lake in New Brighton is also ice covered.  All have a small amount of snow on them.
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Central Nodak ponds are 5-9"  know several that have been out... Up in Manitoba a friend sent pics of icefishing on the Red river north of Winnipeg with 5-7" and already catching some Greenbacks.  BTW if you don't have tracked vechicle for fishing in deep snow in Winter the Red river is usually hot for big green backs from now until Xmas.  Be carefull though 5" of ice can find verythin some where else on a lake.   I use a mustang one piece suit this time of year..at least Ill get out..don't fish alone, carry rope, dry clothes in the truck, picks, no kids......hope to get out this weekend...

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  I had to take back roads on my way to work this morning because the typical morons were playing bumper cars on the freeway today.  There was at least 4 accidents along my twenty mile drive.  I saw open water in a couple of places.  Lake Johanna was about 90-95% covered.  I could see one good open hole.  All the lakes that are frozen have snow on them.  I don't think it's a lot but some strong winds wouldn't hurt right now.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
It has been a long time since there has been a thanksgiving ice fishing event.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I seen a fishhouse out on a local lake by Richmond on becker lake Monday nite. word is up north some fishouses showing up on lakes such as upper red, Winnie and lakes around grand rapids with some reports of 6 to 7 inches of ice.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 Out Willmar area their on Ringo,Foot Lakes yesterday.A young fishing buddy called and said 4-5 inches ice and he's coming to diamond today to fish the end of the bay we live.Good area for sunfish and nords at first ice.I may walk out there???3/4 mile to that spot walking,I dont trust the ice that much till I see tracks!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Guys are fishing up near Detroit lakes, many of the smaller lakes have been rumored to have 4-6" of ice on them in some fishable areas, lots of snow mobile tracks.
Up on Minnewaska, the wind is pushing around the ice, but I think most of the lake is frozen.  There were folks out on Reno all week (crazy guys are always out there early) I would imagine some of the bays have quite a bit of nice though.

Driving up last weekend hunting to Wadena, either the lakes were completely frozen, or they were completely open and steaming.  I would think they are all frozen by this time as that was 5 days ago and we have had some cold weather since then.

Good luck out there and BE SAFE.  Ill be heading to Minnewaska in mid December, expect a report on fishing.  At this rate, people will be putting perms out by thanksgiving.

Offline Wyofish

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
6+ inches of ice on North Long near Brainerd today.  :happy1:

• Master Outdoorsman
They are fishing Manthey's Bay on Osakis. Saw one out this morning on Schultz's Bay and one out between Battle Point and Buck Point.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
driving south on hwy 6 in outing Roosevelt had ice about 200 yards south of the bridge. the whole north side was iced over. but that wind today was pretty stout.

so DDS eventually that south side will have ice!!!!!!!!

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
   Thanks for the update Glenn.  If the snow holds off long enough to get good ice I may stick around instead of going to Florida.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Game On!   Made it out today 7-8" of good ice..  Perch weren't biting but the Nortn were brought these two home for supper tomorrow night!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
sweet,nice job corney, looks like the perch beat of the nort.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Drove up past Chisago yesterday, there didn't look like there was that much ice, all looked dark with open water in some places.  There were guys out there though... looked crazy to me.
Im thinking the ice will be very iffy with this 45degree weather today.

Be safe everyone

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
Drove up past Chisago yesterday, there didn't look like there was that much ice, all looked dark with open water in some places.  There were guys out there though... looked crazy to me.
Im thinking the ice will be very iffy with this 45degree weather today.

Be safe everyone
I haven't been out on the lakes yet but I have a few buddies that have been fishing in the channel between Chisago and south Lindstrom this last week and they say they have 5 inches of Ice out there.
Hunting is not life and death. It is more important than that.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  The temps today should have taken care of any snow cover.  Now a good blast of  :cold: and this could be a good ice year.  :happy1:

Offline Wyofish

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I was gonna try to get out this week, but the combination of high 30's and rain makes me nervous. Hafta play it by ear.

Offline ling0069

• Outdoorsman
Near Duluth,
There's 6 to 8 inches over in Kimballs Bay on the St. Louis. Most of the river is getting a little ice cover, but there is still a lot of open water in the main channel.
You can live to be a hundred, if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred.

• Master Outdoorsman
Starting to see ATV's and small wheelhouses coming out on parts of Lake Osakis. :happy1:

Offline Onin24Eagle

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Checked a couple of local lakes in the Bemidji area last night.  One deeper lake (50+ feet) had only 5 - 6 inches.  One lake had 9", that lake is fairly shallow (17 ft max) and another lake I checked had 12".  All of the ice was very good, solid stuff but I'd hold off driving trucks for another week or two depending on the temps.  Might be Christmas for the deeper lakes.  Lows are only in the single digits for the next week or so, so I'd say it may be more like 2 weeks for most of the other lakes in the area unless we can get one or two more of those -20 nights.  I hate it when it's that cold but I'm actually hoping we get just one or two more nights like that in the near future before we get any large accumulation of snow.   

I was on Red Lake last Friday (Nov 28th) and there was 13" where I was fishing.  Reports are that it is now in the 13 - 16" range and they are allowing 1/2 ton trucks and single axle wheelhouses out of some of the resorts.
2011 MNO Deer Hunting Challenge Champion

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
13-16 inches still aint enough for me to drive my vehicle out!! man I hope people use there heads!!!!!