Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: cookies upper red lake report from the shores of upper red lake  (Read 224598 times)

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks I do enjoy writing them so its a win win
Cookie's on Upper Red Lake
e-mail: cookie16@paulbunyan.net

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
After checking with all the guys this morning it was back to shore to replace fuel pump on blue thunder. What a bear she was. After spending close to two hours on it I still was struggling to remove the fuel lines under the pump. Henery and Jake volunteered to come to shore and help me if I came and picked them up. I was like ya. When we arrived back home they jumped right in and with me holding the socket on from the bottom and Jake wrenching from the top we had the smog pump off and thrown away lickity split. We then were able to cut the steel fuel line and remove the fuel pump. I rooted around for some gas line and clamps and we had the new pump on in no time. How sweet it was to hear her fire up. Thanks again guys. After loading up the truck with the moving gear I was off to move Florida and Montana onto fresh ice. 3 hours later and the houses were moved and rebanked for the evening.
 I had forgotten Phil had borrowed my auger. Oh Oh bad news the rope broke on him. I was kinda up set as he had grabbed the wrong auger he was spose to take my back up auger with the chipper blade. Once we got thing straightened out we were all good and I repaired the auger on the spot.
 Trevor, Matt, Dan, Jake, Steave, Chad, Henery, and Jason were now all set for the evening in Montana and Florida. After dinner I headed back out to see if the move paid off and Trevor had pulled his first ever walleye through the ice. The fishing was still a little slow but I'm comfedent they had some action over nite. I then swung in to Minnesota and sampled some fresh walleye fish tocos and a bite of Squirrel that Peng had prepaired. Both were very good and I will try and take a grey squirrel with my bow next year. I'm now headed out to check on all the guys and a few other fishermen I have fishing in new locations. I also have some plowing to do On Buddy Hillmens hwy.Just some clean up with the straight blade. We then have a window with no rentals so I can take my time, detail the houses and make my decision where to move as I again have ruined 40 acres of upper red lake

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Another weekend has come and gone. Only 6 weekends of walleye season to go. Man where has the season gone.
Now the good news both the red baron and blue thunder were back on the ice yesterday. The red baron hurt as I had to hire some one to repair it total cost 1600.00 that's what I get for driving it tell it breaks. I will be replacing the right wheel bearing asap before I destroy  that side also.
 Fun fun fun was the way to describe this weekend, what a bunch of great customers I had a chance to meet. The crew in Montana had a riot playing cards, listening to music and catching a few fish, They even ate a couple. After getting blue thunder back on the ice I moved there houses about a 100 yards and they did have better fishing so that was great to see.
I got to hang with Seng, Neng  and Peng yesterday and enjoy a little lunch with them on the ice. Shoulder pork, roast cut up into steak, brats fried mushrooms and onions. For a appitisor whole walleye fried bone and all perch and a new delicasi fried perch eggs that were outstanding. I guess walleye eggs are a little grainy. Peng was in old Minnesota less then 30 seconds Friday when his wedding ring went down the hole. I called a couple of outfitters but no one had the equipment or time to try and retreave it. I'm going to try and borrow a camera before I move the house and maybe with a little luck we can retreave it from the bottom of upper red lake. Marty is coming up tomorrow to help me with some projects and do some evening/overnite fishing. I have a list of things to get done on shore so I will keep him busy.
Marlo and his buddie set up 500 yards east of me and got 10 overnite. They packed up there wheelhouse and headed out deeper where marty texting and said they were doing much better last nite. I also drove out and talked to a group that I had sent out further, they had a mess of fish plus 4 or 5 bonus perch and the four of them were playing cards when I stopped by around noon. With nothing rented until thursday I will have all the houses on fresh ice this up and coming weekend just still not sure where at this time

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Cool sounds like some good fishing. We will be talking soon as ice-a-palooza starts thursdaynight or friday morn. Hope u can put us on a fishy spot ..
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Boar have everyone call me from hillmens. I have a spot all checked out for your group and it is a fishy area Its going to be a crazy weekend with a3 day holiday for some. Marlo did real well in the area I plan on taking you to

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Crappie fishing? Wow looking at the calendar 16 straight days on the ice. It has been hectic to say the least. FUN ,fun, fun though gotta love working on the lake. Marty will be up tonight to help me put tail lite on blue thunder and head lites on the red baron. I truly love my trucks. Sure they break and I may cuss at them but they take a beating out there.
 Buddy Hillmen’s hwy is in great shape. Stay away from the berm to the south as it has sunk and became a active pressure ridge with any where from 3 to 5 feet of slush underneath. A few fishermen have learned that the hard way and when I say a few I’m talking more then three.
 Marlo called me yesterday when he was leaving and they figured between the two landed 30 fish. The plan is to set Boar and his crew into that area friday. I never heard from Goose after he moved . Give me a call goose if you get the chance. Yesterday I was on the lake early before a must needed trip to Bemidji. A new chipper bar a new spud bar, both lost. Headlites and tail lites as they also take a beating out there. I even made a deal on a new auger, my old one was 10 years old. I have been waiting for the day I auger and the transmission falls apart and I loose the auger right down the hole. It still can happen as the auger is not retired at this time. Looking forward to detailing the houses today and moving them tomorrow with Marty’s help. He is pumped and is looking forward to working on the ice for a couple of days . He is the type that needs to be doing something as he does have some medical problems and does not want to sit around and die. What a great attitude to follow.
 Talked to Peng yesterday he will be coming up with his cusins Friday or Saturday to try and retrieve his wedding ring.
 Now for the crappie fishing my plans at this time is to head west when everyone else is heading east at the end of the season. I expect buddy will keep his road open and have shacks out there also. I will have to confirm with him. The season just goes by to fast for me and I’m never in a hurry to see it end.

Edit

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Spent three hours on the lake yesterday fishing, remodling, and detailing Montana. Florida is on the list this morning. I did manage to catch three fish while I was in Montana so about one a hour. Marty was spending the night out there so we will see how he did overnite before I make a big move . Minnesota and North Carolina will be pulled out of there spots today. Gene and Sue will be here tomorrow morning to fish for the day. My plan was to do a little scoutting out of the truck this morning but I want to fish it comfort this morning and have a few things I need to do in florida, so I will wet a line there this morning as I watch the sun come up. Not sure whats going to happen with the limit changes to two jan 23rd. I do not have a lot of reservation for Feb and wonder if the calls are going to trickle in. The other choice will to start chasing crappies again and that take a lot of gas and time but may be the only choice I have. What to do, What to do. It will be nice to have headlites on the red baron and taillites on blue thunder and we could not of ask for better weather from mother nature /god Thank you. Time to warm up the trucks and hit the ice

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
tough blow with the new regs starting jan 23rd
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday morning detailing Florida the lake was rumbling from the warm up. A balmy 28 as I type this. I had plenty to do on shore and no need to go out further I assume the bridges were ok as Buddy Hillmen never called me. We had a great day working on blue thunder and the red baron. I now have much needed plow lights on the red baron. Blue thunder has break lights and still needs tail lights. I thought I bought some quite some time ago and I could not find them.I also changed the oil on  the red baron. Heading out shortly to wet a line as I wait for Gene and Sue to call. It sure is nice having Marty helping me with a few projects as when it comes to wiring I have no clue. Marty had caught 8 when I checked in yesterday morning . While I was working in Florida around 10 am he had a flurry where he caught 5 .I had two lines down in Florida and never got a bite that I saw. When I checked my ratting flyer the minnow was gone but I guess I could of jigged it off. I have to dig out Minnesota and north Carolina today as it just did not work out yesterday. I have a spot all picked out and as far as I'm concerned its still a fishy area and I have not ruined it yet. Bill and his buddy arrive for Minnesota around 2. Sue and Gene are from low and are just down for the day into the early evening. Were full tomorrow  except the cabin is not being used until Saturday. I will take a quick trip out to the pressure ridge after light to see how bridges are. Remember to drive slow over them there is plenty of ice on each side of the crack so driving fast has no barring on making it across. With the 3 day weekend, nice weather, and the limit going to two fish on the 23rd my money is it is going to be one crazy weekend up here as the lake is going to get pounded. I expect westwind will be hopping. Don't forget to stop at tall tavern/hillmens they have set ups bring your own bottle and 3 2 beer, plus  they serve frozen pizza. They will have the football games on sunday on there big screen tv. Gotta hit the lake have a grand day as I plan to have a grand day as a local Dave use to say Its a GRAND LAKE! A GRAND LAKE! it owes me nothing,nothing

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I was right I had a grand day on a grand lake yesterday.
We had both the red baron and blue thunder on the lake all day. One project was moving about a 100 yards stretch of snow from the north side of buddy hillmens road to the south. Working both trucks it took about 2 hours and two tanks of gas as the trucks got a good work out. I think Marty enjoyed throwing the snow with the red baron but said he still has to get use to it. We then got Minnesota moved and setup as Tom and Bill arrived right on time at 2pm as I was just finishing augering the holes.  After getting them checked in I stopped to see gene and sue they were up to four and had released a couple to big. Gene called me a hour later and said they had there 6 and were headed home to bauddett.  I also got north Carolina out of its spot and will be prepping that house this morning. Jake arrives at 8am for florida I have left it where it was as it has only been fished by Sue and Gene during the day and Trevor's crew less the 24 hours last Saturday/sunday. If need be I can always move it for them tomorrow. Montana has been fished a little bit more with Marty staying out there the last couple of nights. Wendesday night the rattle wheel kept him up until four when he finaly said enough and reeled them in. A very good problem to have. Marty leaves today and I enjoyed working with him and I think he also enjoyed working on the lake. We have 2 to 4 inches of snow coming this weekend , kinda bad timing as it will cause a lot of drifting around the vechicles and houses. Darn that mother nature who does she think she is. The Boss
Remember if you go out of hillmens try to set up at least 50 yards off the main hwy if not further as the snow will drift across the hwy if your set up to close. The bridges have been moved and again go over them slow. there is plenty of room to the north of Hillmen's Hwy spread out and enjoy the weekend. If ya want a spot plowed wave down a plow truck and they should be able to punch you a spot. Good luck this weekend , only take what you need and help keep a grand lake a grand lake

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Well fawkinnae, Headed out to have lunch with Boar and Fawkinnae as they invited me out for fresh walleye for lunch at noon. After gassing up the red baron I headed out on my adventure to find a blizzard on the lake. I decided to push on as a free walleye dinner was in my reach. Driving was diffecult fawkinnae and more then once I had to stop and clean off the ice and snow built up on the windshield "fawkinnae. After traverrising the bridges I was well on my way to fresh walleye dinner. Arriving after   my long journey I headed right to boars as I new thats where they would be cooking all the fresh walleye. All I can say is fawkinnae they changed the lunch time and never called to inform me. What the fawkinnae. Oh well at home now eating a can of chile fawkinnae

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Hope they offered you a bag of Cheeto's at least... :tequila;

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations

You would have better luck asking Glenn57 to skip a Union mandated nap than getting a Cheeto or two out of those guys.    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

You would have better luck asking Glenn57 to skip a Union mandated nap than getting a Cheeto or two out of those guys.    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
what's a nap???
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
I did have a cookie and coffee. It was all in fun and not a big deal just need too rub it in>Next time I will know better

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
The old weather man had a swing and a miss. 2 to 4 inches of snow turned into less then half a inch. We did get a strong wind out of the south east followed by a strong wind and flurries from the north west that caused quite a bit of drifting around fish houses and vechicles. Driving out to have lunch with Boar and fawkinnae yesterday  there was three wheel houses set up to the south of Buddy's road. They must of came out of westwind . Right in the middle of there set up was a car? A car? I know for a fact there is no road there so I have no clue how he got there other then following the tracks of the three wheel houses. With all the winds he will have a interesting trip back to shore. Lunch was a bust as the guys changed it to 3 pm. Buddy Hillmen pulled out two trucks from the berm to the south of his road yesterday. He also pulled out two trucks that tried to cross by the pressure ridge that also came out of westwinds. Hillmen's charge 10 dollars a day to use there road. Stop in, get the latest info and pay the 10 bucks.
Kellie and I had dinner with Bill and Berry last night in old Minnesota ,a chuck roast with potatoes and onions and carrots umm ummm good. Reminded me of a offer I made years ago. When you arrive a roast will be waiting in the oven. I will add the potatoes, onions and carrots  before you arrive so dinner will be served apon your arrival. If any one is interested in this give me a shout and we can make arrangements . Jake suggested I sell my home made pizza's but they take a hour to make and I make a mess in the process so that was a bad idea.
Bill and berry figured they caught 28 fish so far with atleast that many misses. The house is rented today so the plan is to leave it there one more day before I move it as Chuck and his wife arrive at noon. Dale and Nolen have done all right in Montana .Larry will be here with two kids and another buddy and the plan is to have it on fresh ice before they arrive at noon. Sis and Leroy pull in at 4 for florida. Jake, Ryann and Gavin pull out  at 10am. When I stopped last night they had a sink full of fish. Jake brought up a Polaris razor that I plan on taking it for a spin before they load it on the trailer . I have driven one before and if I was going to buy a wheeler that's what I would buy its basically a dune buggy and every boy wanted a dune buggy when they were a kid.  Matt, Ryan and Eric were in North Carolina and had the worst fishing of the four houses. I offered to move them yesterday but they were fine so they must of had some action .I know they were two shy of there 9 when I stooped in last night. Mark and his family roll in around 1 for North Carolina so that will be put on fresh ice also. I have another busy day and I'm loving it. Today is going to be a picture perfect day so we will see how the weather man does with that one. Marlo found a good bite further out so I need to check that area before he leaves. fawkinnae and Boar also did real well and I have my  eye on that

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Well fawkinnae, Headed out to have lunch with Boar and Fawkinnae as they invited me out for fresh walleye for lunch at noon. After gassing up the red baron I headed out on my adventure to find a blizzard on the lake. I decided to push on as a free walleye dinner was in my reach. Driving was diffecult fawkinnae and more then once I had to stop and clean off the ice and snow built up on the windshield "fawkinnae. After traverrising the bridges I was well on my way to fresh walleye dinner. Arriving after   my long journey I headed right to boars as I new thats where they would be cooking all the fresh walleye. All I can say is fawkinnae they changed the lunch time and never called to inform me. What the fawkinnae. Oh well at home now eating a can of chile fawkinnae

Those bastards...
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
The day started off a little nasty with a stong wind out of the northwest. The weather man said it was going to be nice. It did settle down around 1  and we had a rare sighting of the sun. I got out on the lake to say good bye to everyone  and start prepping for all four houses to be turned over. After saying good by to Boar and fawkinnae I headed back to my shacks to get to work. I detailed Minnesota  and decided since Berry and Bill Landed so many fish I would leave it here for Chuck and his wife. I then skadaddled over to florida to take a quick ride on jakes razor. What a riot. I stopped at Montana and had Nolyn grab his gloves and took him for a ride with me. Man do I want one of those. I bet I had a smile ear to ear as I raced around FUN! FUN! FUN!  I then said my goodbyes as I still had a big work load but what a way to start the day. The guys in north Carolina were packing up and going home with 9 fish. That was nice to see. I then procceded to clean and  move Montana before Larry arrived at noon. I then  moved north Carolina before Mark rolled in with his family. I had untill 4 to get florida prepped and it would also be fished one more day where is at. Josh and Ray are right behind me and doing well in there grey wolf fish house. Wow what a nice fish house. After I prepped a area for Montana. I got Montana detailed ,moved, banked, augered I headed over to north Carolina to prep for moving. Chuck called and had arrived. I headed to shore to meet him and escort him out to the house. I checked him in and finished moving and prepping north Carolina. I also had to switch up the 100 lber propane. In between all this I made about 8 passes up and down Buddy Hillmens road throwing the snow to the south. I briefly met Boar to say good bye and then headed out 6 miles to check on Pat,Todd Ryan and Chris. I had them set up through buddy hillmens houses as I was full. I plowed all 4 miles out to the end of the road and plowed on the way back again throwing snow to the south. There was more then one spot where you could see someone tried to drive over the berm from the south with no success. After visiting pat and the boys I headed back to shore to meet Mark and escort them to north Carolina. Leroy, Sis and the kids for florida also arrived around four and met me on the lake. I came home just as it got dark ate dinner and fell a sleep. I have to apologize to Chuck in Minnesota and Mark in north Dakota as the generator ran out of gas  around 8 pm. I was so busy I had forgotten to fill it up before I  left the laks. The phone rang about 8 :30 and the generator  for florida also ran out of gas. I never checked it as I added on the berg system and thought there was still plenty of gas in the tank. Once I got out there and fired florida back up I visited for a bit and Sis missed three bites. Zack finely got him or her a nice 20 inch walleye. After visiting with them it was kinda late and I never got to check in on Chuck or Mark and his family I again apologize as my serviced slipped a bit yesterday as I just got plain wore out. When I arrived home a stepped in the cabin to say good night To Peng, Yee, Seng and Jerry? They found a good spot and also did real well all by them selfs. Peng had no luck retrieving his ring and the triangle got it. I'm all rested now and will be moving Minnesota and florida if need be today

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King

Those bastards...

I would have plow their front doors of their fish houses tight so they had to climb out the window  ;)
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Another fun filled day. Checking in on Leroy, Sis and the kids they only had a couple in the bucket. Josh and Ray were pulling out and said the fishing was great until the wind switched out of the east around 6 pm. They had been on the spot for a third night? The third night hardly ever gets better for my house's?
My next stop was old Minnesota with chuck and he was in there for the third night on that spot.. He commented how nice the table was set up. He had done real well and was about 100 yards from Josh and Ray that blamed the wind. I had told Chuck I had no problem moving  house on such a nice day and he agreed I should move it. After prepping two spots  with the red baron. I went  home to get my fish house moving machine Blue Thunder Two. I then met Leroy back at florida to Point! him and Zack in the right direction on there quest to find a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie. Moving Minnesota went like a breeze and I only had to auger 3 holes for Chuck. Sweet! Three less holes of the hundreds I will have augered this year. Then the fun began as  the girls in florida would be riding in florida as I glided it on to a new spot. Again every thing went like a well oiled machine and I'am so thankfull for that. Blue thunder 2 is living up to its name and has the soul of blue thunder 1 in her." Plus a Few Parts"
Finishing up floridas move with 8 more holes punched I was done for the day. Coming off the lake at sunset time I moved both house in 3 hours. I think I may be getting a little older as I thought I could do it in 2. Oh well.
Kellie" The Hammer" her new nick name until she sees this anyway.! and I headed back out on to the lake a hour later to have fish. Fish toco's with sis  Leroy and the kids. They were delicious. Cloleslaw  mixed with sour cream, a dash of lime and hotsauce all mixed together on a soft shell. Very good and will try and perfect it for the hammer and I.
Amanda and James were in Montana and only had three fish when I stopped in on them. They may have caught a couple two big I do not remember as again I was tired from a full belly and another day in all that fresh air. Chuck was doing real well in old Minnesota and may stay another day.  Today is a big day as Montana gets prepped for a 4 to 5 mile move. I have to cross 4 cracks as you can not take the houses over the bridges. Florida and old Minnesota will stay put for the day and have not made a decision on what to do with north carolina

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Hitting the lake yesterday morning I could feel it being another grand day on such a grand lake. After visiting with James and Amanda as they were packing they had a terrific time and will be coming back again. I think they were only taking home 3 fish. They caught a bout a dozen over night with a few big ones in the mix. Chuck just keeps catching fish. On average 1 a hour. He has been in old Minnesota for three nights. He did get checked by the dnr yesterday, they did not stop and talk to me must of new I was cleaning. Leroy, Sis, Hanna, Colten and Ashly they did not have the greatest fishing even after moving them. They did take home 9 fish and we ate 5 when we had fish toco’s. They also said they will be back and sis wants to have a girls getaway weekend.
 I then spent part of the day fishing in Montana while I detailed it for Andy and his crew arriving Friday. Montana is getting ready for a 4 to 5 mile trip to a new location. They have requested a certain spot and I think I can get there with out any problems. Lets just hope I do not end up on some ones waypoint or spot that they are going to. Its only one house for now. For one weekend and we will see what pans out. I did miss two fish while detailing Montana and landed a nice 16 1/2 on a chubby Darter. Them lures are a blast to fish with as the fish just smack them . I would of never got that fish with out the vex though. I released him to fight another day. Minnesota stays where it is for at least one more night and maybe two ,depending on how Bob and Terry do. They are retired photographers and spent 25 years living in yellowstone taking pics of the wild life and following the wolfs for years. I’lll post his website when I get it from him as its well worth looking at. Orian and his crew roll in around 9am for florida.It will be interesting to see how they do the first 24 hours after Leroy and his family did not do that well. I will move them tomorrow if need be. I still have not decided what to do with North Carolina and need to decide today for sure as It will be moved, even though it was only fished one night.
 This morning I have a chore. I need to pick up all the tools I have used this winter. I have been putting them on the floor of the garage after using them to see what I use through out the season. There are more on the floor of the garage then in the tool boxes. Blue thunder and the red Baron are in good shape at this time Knock on wood. They are about to get another work out though as I move Montana to its new location. I did feel a little miss in the red baron but I think it s fine. Still feeling out blue thunder but as of now she has a good 100 years in her as a lake truck. I need to add a steering wheel rap asap though. Getting ready to have a grand day on a grand lake

Edit

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Blue thunder 100 years OOPs 10 years.
We were blessed with another beautiful day here on the shores of upper red lake. Buddy Hillmens hwy is in great shape. There is so much room out there it could never all be fished. Its just crazy how every season is so much different when it comes to mother nature. With a month of walleye fishing left I have no idea where the time has gone. Man a'm I having fun this year.
 I met Orion, Mike, Mike and Rodger at hillmens right on time at 9 am. After getting there road passes and bait we were off to check them into florida. They  were up to 3 and 2 lost  at the hole the first time I checked in on them.  I spent a little time in Minnesota detailing. But Chuck left it so nice all I had to do was auger three more holes the only problem with that the auger was it was at home. I also had a few things to add into Montana. Then it was off to shore to have lunch, switch trucks and move Montana while I waited for Bob and Terry to call. I decided to grab a bite at westwind and had there toco salad Very good and hit the spot. Just as I finished  Bob called and they had arrived so back to hillmens with the red baron. I should of stopped at home and switched trucks  as when I got out there I still did not have the auger to finish the three holes in Minnesota. OOPs we all make mistakes. I guess I should just figure out why auger number two will not stay running and have a auger in both trucks. Auger # 3 is in the cites getting some work on it. Once Bob and Terry were checked in I came home  and got blue thunder for her journey to no mans land. Montana is now out  over 6 miles. Now I will really be able to watch the gas gauge go down. I think the red baron gets 3 to 5 miles to the gallon. Heading back in I stopped to talk to Buddy Hillmen. He mentioned I need to make my road straight north and not north west like I had on my first road to the north. Now I have two roads to maintain running northwest OOPS again. I thought a northwest road was perfect when we get a wicked northwest wind. Buddy knows what he likes and I have no problem cutting in a new north road as its fun cutting through the snow in the red baron.
Bob and Terry are not doing very well and had only landed 3 fish as of 8pm last night It never gets better the third night. Orion and the guys have did much better and that's in florida where Leroy and his family struggled? They were eating some fish when I stopped in. I think they had caught about 20 fish total in the 12 hours they had been here. I will move both today if they want but again I have decided to stay in the fishy area as its still producing fish. There' s a chance I may have to auger 30 holes today. Where is a young buck when you need one. I need to teach my grand daughter Ashly how to auger as she is a worker and I could have her come up and help me and finish the  school year  up here. I wonder what the honey bunny thinks of that. I will be busy on the lake again all day and  already itching to get out there

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Busy busy busy,
 With a turn over today. Friday have became very busy. Orion and the guys had slow fishing yesterday and last night. 3rd night that house has been fished? It never gets better the 3rd night. I moved old Minnesota for Terry   and Bob. They caught one right away in the new spot. While visiting them last night I landed a keeper  just jigging with no vex. Gary and Kay fished north Carolina and I will have to call them later to see how they did. I cut a new road north for Montana  and will head out very shortly to pop the holes. I did notice before Ii cut trail the red baron had a major crack and needed to be welded asap. I cut the trail nice and slow and limped her over to Gary s where David helped me weld it up. We had to remove the vplow and spent about 3 hours working on it. I met Alex around 10 pm and escorted him out by Montana as he is andy's brother, Man had the winds picked up out of the south west, it was windy yesterday but last night it was just wicked out there . Hillmans road was in great shape with a little drifting but the off shoot roads were filling  in quickly. There will be a lot of plowing today.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
plowing was not to bad as mother nature blew so hard it kept all the side roads open  Sweet. Alex put the hammer on the fish last night. I'm hoping to set someone uup after a big pike tomorrow  Gotta go

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Mother nature rules. The wind blew so hard Thursday evening it kept  the roads from drifting in which was a nice bonus, less where and tear on the trucks. TYhere was some drifting but with out fresh snow it was not to bad.
Heading out to the end of buddy hillmens hwy. yesterday morning to auger out monatana and see how Alex and his buddy did it took a 1/8 of a tank of gas . So every trip out there and back eats up 4 gallons of gas in the bed baron. That 454 loves its fuel and you can watch the fuel gage plummet on those long journeys. Alex and his buddy did real well over night .Andy showed up around 10am with another friend towing a ice castle. After getting them set up I needed to go prep the houses for every ones arrival and say good by to Bob and Terry. Plowing around the houses from the drifting Thursday night,  Detailing 3 houses, left no time for moving them so they all had to be fished where they were. Minnesota had only been fished one night so I felt comfortable they would catch some fish, North Carolina  had one over night stay where it was  and Gary and Kay fished it Thursday eve for 3 hours. Florida was on it 4th night on its same spot and it showed. They were not doing well at all and I will be moving them first thing this morning. Old Minnesota had caught 8 so far and they asked if I would move them today to fresh ice that house had not even been fished 24 hours before they arrived. Don arrived around 3 for north Carolina and they landed three with in the first 10 minutes of wetting there line and then nothing so I also will be moving them. Moving three houses is not such a big deal its prepping the new spots that's take time and the further we move the longer it takes. Letting fishermen rent the houses on Thursdays really throws a monkey wrench in things for the customers that arrive on Friday for the weekends . I may have to change my policy and quit renting on thusdays as the customers get screwed when they arrive on Friday and I do not have the houses on fresh ice. It hard to say no when its such a short season and we need to make hay when the sun is shining.. maybe when I get out there this morning the fishing picked up? I did set jeff/boar up in a new location just around evening .It started out slow but when kellie and I were visiting them a wave came threw and 7 or 8 fish were missed with me landing a 16 incher on a rattle wheel. I did talk to Boar around 11 and they were doing much better. Andy in Montana with his dad and brother were way happy and have caught 25 fish or so .They are good fishermen. Andy's buddy  I think his name was Jim landed a 27 inch walleye on a tip up with a sucker. It was hooked pretty bad and they had no choice but to keep it as It was going to bleed to death. I also got a text from andy and one of there wheel houses landed a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie. Andys dad also lost one in Montana at the hole and he even had his hand on it. I saw the perfect spot to move Montana tomorrow when they leave and am excited to see how the fishing pans out in that spot. The other three houses need to go out to the end of the road, taking them out there today would take a lot of time so still not sure if I will leave the fishy area we have been in or just put the houses on fresh ice in the same area for the rest of the weekend. Then the whole fleet can go out there starting Monday morning. I will have to make a decision once I check in with every one this morning. I also have a area that has been real good all winter but can not convince any one to fish there.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Checking in with all the houses yesterday morning and it seemed they all got together because they all wanted to be moved on to fresh ice. After Talking to Andy in Montana the fish house not the state I decided the whole fleet needed to head to deeper waters. Boars spot did not pan out and he said he got some sleep with the rattle wheels silent. He also decided to move out deeper.
Florida was the first house to be moved. moving out to the end of the road would make each move take around two hours. I explained that to all and everyone was on the same page. I decided with out the red baron out there the fastest way to set up would be setting the houses on the roads I made. That worked out real well and saved quite a bit of time. Boar was nice enough to come help me with the first 2 moves and I gave him a grade of c+.  I do not think he liked that and was striving to get his grade up. I have my own system for every thing I do out there. I've learned from the best my mentor cusin Pete to take my time, do not rush things. I was right and it took about two hours to get florida reset. When I arrived with the second house North Carolina florida already had caught 4 fish. Donny thought it was odd I was setting up on the road but I explained that I made the road and it was not a big deal. After getting them set up it was off to get old Minnesota she is my heaviest house and takes a  little more finess to move. I picked the perfect spot for Minnesota . I  also spotted another spot the I plan on putting Minnesota on this week as I gaurenteed Kellie the "hammer" will catch a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie. Making the rounds last night felt great. All three houses had fish tales to tell. Moving all the houses in one day put a damper on my visiting and I may not have every ones names down this weekend. After having dinner with Boar and his kids at the boars nest I made the last rounds of the night and Kellie and I headed to Hillmens Tall Tail Taveren to listen to the Crappy floppers. they are a bunch of guys that get together up here once or twice a year and jam. We had a ball  and even with Kellie's bad knee we were able to dance to a couple of songs. Very entertaining and a good time was being had by all. It was nice to see the bar full. Got to spend some time with Tyler and Audry from bear paw as they were there and Tyler even danced a song with Kellie. With only one house rented this week the plan is to detail all the houses this morning and have dinner with the sweetheart in old Minnesota tonight as Kellie is on a quest to land a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie. Did I mention Andy's dad landed one and missed one at  the hole while there buddies in the red ice castle landed two. How sweet is that. The bad news or good news if your a fishermen is old Minnesota and Florida are open this coming up weekend as I had two cancelations, They must of heard the limit is down to two?

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow taking a look at the calendar the last 4 weeks of the season are looking kinda bleak. I have at least 1 sleeper open every weekend. I have made one reservation since the announcement to a two fish limit? I also had one rented on short notice.
Saying good by to everyone yesterday was a treat lots of smiles and some great fishing as the big move  was well worth it. Montana came through with 2 crappies from the house and two more from the green ice castle plus another 11 elusive yet catchable upper red lake crappies next to Montana. The walleye action was real good also. Just like I stated earlier if your catching small walleye theres a chance there 's a elusive upper red lake crappie near by. Fun to see them that's for sure. I had a visitier yesterday while I was cleaning Montana as Danny from outdoor authority stopped by to say hello and see if I may be interested in a fish house on skids for sale. He has been busy and it was the first time I have saw him since the ice formed in November. Boar got a little concerned after his move Saturday as they had only caught a couple small ones. Things changed and they ended up having some fantastic fishing. Nice to see and again thanks for the help it sure makes moving house easier. yesterday was a half day off. After prepping/cleaning Florida and Montana Kellie the hammer met me at old minnnesota for a movie or two some fishing and dinner. Chicken stir fry was on the menu. I had to meet Jeff,Linda and Justin at hillmens around 3 to check them into florida. When I stopped in around 8 they had done real well with a few, yes a few cleanable perch. There son fishing in another house to the south landed two more elusive upper red lake crappies.. darn I drove right over them. Moving all the houses Saturday I bet I drove over 4 million fish too get there. Why does everyone always want to go to the end of the road? It must be the adventure. Kellie lived up to her nick name "THE HAMMER" in Minnesota and put the hammer on the walleyes. She caught a dozen fish to my 3 .On my defense I had a little nap as she said I was not fishing even though I had 2 lines in. Both had no minnow when I awoke so in a sense she is right. I can not help it as I love crawling up on the top bunk in old minnesorta and taking a cozy little nap. My mechantic rolled in around 4 and I got him set up in his house. North Carlolina. Him and Cory started catching fish right away and Phil was pumped to catch fish for the first time out of his house after it had sat brand new for 4 years. I have a long list of repairs for Phil to keep him busy during the day while he is here. Marty is also coming up today to help me out again. Even though the houses did so well they will be moved on to fresh ice for the weekend.  I have nothing rented untill Friday and then only two of the 4 houses are rented. Minnesota will be put on the crappie honey hole I found and Kellie the Hammer will have her shot to land a elusive upper red lake crappie. Its been 3 or 4 years since she has landed one and is pumped to fish the new spot. the plan is to move it today. Being so far out is going to burn some gas so my plans are to only make one trip a day out there and work and eat lunch on the lake every day. The key is not forgetting anything, fat chance of that and I will have to improvise if I forget any thing for the day. I'm also going to shut down the heat On Montana for the first time since it has hit the lake. Marty will fish and stay in Florida while he helps me out during the day. Time to hit the lake as I prep Minnesota and wet a line this morning. I plan on fishing a chubby darter first thing as I just love the action and they hammer it when they come in. The rattle wheel will have a slick jig tipped with a minnow

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Hey cookie, it was a pleasure  to meet your wife and and have supper with ya! The fishing really turnd on as you know. I really appreciate the  jose quarvo and am saving thqt for eelpout fest. My kids had a blast so thank yiu for ur intell on the fishing spots it has really paid off with great memories. Heres a feww

[attachment deleted by admin]
78.50"

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
78.50"

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I really like my C pluse ya gave cause i graduated wih a D - lol.seeya this weekend if it turns out. Have fun with ur new toy

[attachment deleted by admin]
78.50"