Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: cookies upper red lake report from the shores of upper red lake  (Read 224543 times)

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
We have been short handed at the golf course Oak Harbor Golf course so I have been working all most everyday.
I had the treat of seeing a bull moose on the way to work so that was a sweet. He crossed a dirt road right in front of me.
Buddy Hillmen is building a new fish house and its huge. Two stories,  14 by 28 I be leave.Its quite the sight to see. Looks like most of us that rent fish houses are starting to do the pre season prep work.
The reservation book is ready. As I always tell customers that I start taking reservation around hunting season.
The greek was here for a couple of days passing through from Alaska. We were able to get in a couple rounds of golf and had a hoot.
bob and Rick will be up to do some work on our deer trails and stands. My plan is to again try and take a deer with me recurve bow. I up graded to carbon arrows so I been doing a little shooting to get ready. I have a new spot to hunt this year and need bob and ricks help to get set up. The grouse hunting has been getting a little better as the leafs are falling off some of the lower brush and trees.
The fall colors were spectacular this year.
I still plan on doing a little more fishing as my friend Pat may be coming up next week  with Jeff and his son coming up  around the 21rst. So there may be a fishing report in the future, if the weather cooperates.
Cookie's on Upper Red Lake
e-mail: cookie16@paulbunyan.net

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
So I just spent 40 minutes writing a blog and my finger hit something o  this phone and lost it. Error. So here's the scoop all the resorts are allowi g wheelers out 6 to 8 inches of ice. For every 50 fishermen on the South  shore there's 5 on this end so better reports down there just lime every year. Friends walk out of west wind last weekend and got there 12 keepers but it took them a better part of the day. I also heard from another guy that did real well out of Hillmans on his secret spot . Also talk to 3 guy's last weekend thank hot skunked. Hoping for our home computer back by tomorrow 

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh k here goes again short and sweet. Lonnie and his crew got there 12 yesterday out of hillmens.adam and Colton got there 8 also out of Hillman. James Brit ,katlym and Cody got 14 out of West wing. Devon and the grand kids have made progress on blue thunder and now have both differentials  out and installing blue thunder 1 onto blue thunder 2. Old minnesota is repaired with James help as I'm a horrible carpenter. My new used truck is stranded in Fargo with a blown radiator. Any one want to barterr to get it home.?

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
so here’s the scoop , as most fishermen know most of the resorts up here started letting wheeler and sleds out on the lake last weekend. That does not mean you can go any where you want as the winds have shifted the ice a couple times and opened up a few cracks . Check with the resort you access and stay in the areas that have been checked out.
 The fishing has been pretty good.
 I have had a few projects that were put off untell I got laid off from the golf course and mother nature again made my projects more challenging. I’m making progress slow and steady and maybe this time I have learned my lesson not to put these off when its 70 and sunny. Chasing breaking 80 at the golf course has got me processed.
 From the looks of it there a good chance we will have all our sleepers on the lake by the 7th of dec.
 My plans are again to go out of Hillmens resort and help Buddy hillmen with his road. He has built a 2 story house that may or may not be on the lake as its huge, I think it can sleep 8 to 10. Its crazy big 14 by 28.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
well we finally got our home computer back so it sure is nice to be able to type again instead of using the phone.
The wind were wicked Monday night but by the looks of it this side of the lake held together so that's real good news.
Lonnie and his buddy braved the winds yesterday and headed out ,they managed to get 7 of there 8 but it was a tougher bite then last time they were here on Saturday.
This weekend is going to be crazy up here as I have had quite a few inquirers about lodging on shore. Buddy Hillmen may have something but he is tough to get a hold of as he is busy building that mammoth house.
We ran into a hiccup on blue thunder and have a part we can not get off to replace. I'm hoping Tom can come over and button it up. as Devon worked his butt off to get er done. You could see the disappointment in his eyes, Blue thunder is my work horse and I'm feeling the pressure of getting her up and running..
Our new used lake truck may show up sunday if all goes well. Its name is Cheyanne "I think that's spelled right. It blew a radiator in fargo and is arriving on a trailer .
Old Minnesota is the only house that I have not detailed as I also had some major work on her that was ignored while I was trying to break 80 at the golf course this summer. Every one have a great thanksgiving and if your coming up here make sure you check in the resort your going out of as they have been on the ice everyday

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Not even sure where to start? As quite a few fishermen may know we had a tragedy here on upper red lake this past weekend. A young couple Zeth and Melissa lost there lifes  doing what it looked like they loved to do from pictures and comments I have seen and heard of the couple.
I'm a little different then most guys and I can become a little more emotional then others and I will flat out say I have shed a few tears and am choking up right now as it breaks my heart. I have read a couple of post out loud to the hammer My wife and can not get them out with out tearing up..
Facebooks Ice Fishing Minnesota has a post where you can post a fishing picture in there honor. what a beautiful tribute in my opinion.
It turns out that Zeth was from Stacy Minnesota. My wife's sister shell chick lives in Stacy. I raised our family in Wyoming Minnesota just down the road from there. My helper from years ago Tony had played softball with Zeth as a team mate and against him. Mark works with his dad. Renea son was best friends with him, Bob's daughter's boyfriend was a friend . Paul had just talked to him. Its such a small world sometimes.
Melissa brother posted a story about spotting a couple dark objects on the lake that led him to the recovery site. The dark spot were two eagles, When we had my grandma Olga's funeral  here in waskish there were eagles flying over the church.
 The hammer does not want me going on the lake at this time, I feel very confident to venture out but  just like every year I stay back un tell I can drive blue thunder on the ice. Once I'm on the lake I could possible be out there close to 100 days in a row so I'm never in that big of a hurry ,plus my mentor, cousin Pete who has lived here all his life and was best friends with my dad  has always said slow and patient, don't be in a hurry, that how things get broken. By the way my father died in a car accident heading home from waskish in 1978.  I never got to here all the stories he had of his stomping grounds up here as a teenager. I can only imagine as he was a daredevil as he raced figure 8s in Colorado when I was a kid. I know they use to water ski up and down the tamarac river and try and sling shot each other into the reeds. I have also heard a few car stories but will not share as I do not want to give any one any ideas.
 I had a close call or two on this lake . When I was 6 I was on the lake with my cousin Stan and my sister when we ran out of gas  and a storm blew in. We lost both oars and were at the mercy of the wind and the waves. We had no clue we were in danger un tell a rescue boat retrieved us.
 Mother nature can be extra wicked up here as I have blogged over the years as well as summer,
I try and request a prayer every year in church that all the fishermen and workers on the lake have a safe season. Do to the circumstances  of what happen I would rather not share any fishing reports for a few days. I'm not even sure how I'm going to feel when I do get on the lake. As Dave the old timer told me ITS A GRAND LAKE AND IT OWES ME NOTHING NOTHING
 May you rest in peace Zeth and Mellisa, and I'm so so sorry

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Well said Cookie. Very sad situation. :sad: :cry: RIP Zeth & Melissa  Prayers sent. Beat me to it mike
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
prayers to the family, such a sad tradgedy.
78.50"

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
As Dave the old timer told me ITS A GRAND LAKE AND IT OWES ME NOTHING NOTHING

I think all of our equipment and technology gives us the false impression that we've got this man vs. nature thing licked.  So much so that I'll bet most people don't give it any thought.

My GPS will point the way.
My ATV will carry me anywhere.
My cell phone has service to call for help from everywhere.
If I get hurt, the doctors can patch me up.

Ice is the big equalizer.  It is unforgiving and if you go through alone, you rarely get a second chance.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Well its looks like I have to chime in a bit of the conditions on our end of the lake. Upper red lake is a huge body of water and freezes up different every year. One year it glazed over in one night and the ice was so smooth I could of put on ice skates and skated all the way to gilbar on the north shore which I would say is 5 miles away.
This year as the shore line was slowing making ice we got very cold temps with a nnw wind. Each wave would hit the ice pack and some water would spray into the air where it would ice  up or lets say turn into snow. By morning it was ice as far as the eye could see. It stayed cold and the wind died down a bit . I couple days later another big wind came  more winds from the wsw and again pounded ice into the eastern side of the lake.  That why the water is or was so stirred up underneath. Some ice broke up further out and was driven under and over the ice  making shelf ice where it could be twice as thick. As far as I know the ice pack on our end never broke loose from shore quite a ways out and we kept making ice. Even though it was warn down in the cites  one day there was a 25 degree  difference they were at 40 and  we were at 15. Opening deer season was a week of cold, cold, cold. If I remember one night it was 8 below.
I'm very confident that we have plenty of ice on this corner of the lake. No wheelers, or sleds have broken through on this end that I have heard of.  Buddy hillmen  of hillmens resort has staked his road out quite a ways "miles". same with westwind and beacon harbor.  There was a crack out at 3 miles that did separate but the wind drove it back together and made quite a pile of stacked ice out 3 miles. Westwind and hillmens is requesting know one try and jump or travel over it. Is the ice 100 percent safe, No it never is. Common sense is a must, If it does not look right its probably not right.
 I have had a few fishermen here and they all have measured 9 to 10 inches of ice. The area I plan on scoping out today  could have 11 ?  The fishing has been pretty darn good  with pink and gold shining. One day they want jigging the next day dead stick. This end is allowing wheelers, sleds and side by side out to the pressure ridge around 2.5 to 3 miles. There's plenty of fish and space, there is no reason to venture any further. Just use good common sense.
If you do choose to come up check in with the resorts, they have been on the ice every day

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Here at my place I'm making progress for the up and coming ice fishing season. Slow and steady. The fleet keeps getting bigger .We now have the red baron running great "Knock on wood" all though it does need a couple parts. He does not go on the lake right away so were good  for now.

Blue thunder went from what I assumed was a little job to remove and replacing the whole front differential, We were able to remove a different one from the original  blue thunder 1.  Blue thunder 1 was a heavy duty 3/4 ton and even though we thought it was the  same  one major part was different. The steering arm was shaped just a little different . It took 5 saw blades and a small tank of acetylene to remove it. Then we realized the u-joint was shot so that had to be replaced and the left axle had to come out. He is all put back together now . I also picked up a new set of rear shocks to match the new front ones. Looks like there will be some more torching to remove them, but that's to be expected when your dealing with a 33 year old truck.
 The new edition is another chevy we nick named White lightning aka Cheyanne. He is a she and needs a new radiator . Then once she is on the road we will deal with any other issues that may arrive.
 The old dodge prospector is in the woods for now .It may be time to say goodbye but will see.
There may also be a runner vehicle in the future but we will know more later on.
 We did have a couple cancelation for this weekend due to the tragedy last week which I completely understand as no ice is completely safe. Buddy Hillmen has been on the ice every day since she locked up and has traveled around quite a bit watching and keeping notes of any thing that may concern him. He has his road staked out to about 3 miles where he does not recommend any one  traveling past the pressure ridge that formed. It heads to the north where it turns and heads west north west. I did venture out on the ice yesterday just to check where I would like to start the season and found 12 inches with a little less the further you go west where I never found any ice under 10. I also talk to a few fishermen and they were catching a couple that's slang for more then two .
Mike and his crew had a few, again slang for over 3.
The other Mike in the cabin with his two buddies did not fair as well and got a honest few 3.
 The to do list has been shrinking as we get closer to hauling the houses out of the woods. A little snow would help that progress but good old mother nature will make that decision unless I have to do a snow dance and I sure do not want a lot of snow so it may have to be a modified slow snow  dance. Its 25 here this morning so that's good.
 Buddy is allowing wheelers, sleds, side by side off his access and asking not to venture past the pressure ridge at about 3 miles. Please remember to use common sense if your coming up.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Well yesterday was a very busy and productive day to say the least. All our guest caught a few fish through out the day and came off the lake just after or before sunset to be on the safer side.. everyone reported 10 to 12 inches of ice. on our end of the lake. Buddy Hillmen was planning on letting single axel wheel house 16 feet and under out with wheelers. There phone number is 218 647 8504.
 Its so nice to have close friends. Chris came up and we went for a walk in the woods hoping to spook up a grouse and also look for a flu flu arrow I lost when I missed a grouse this fall. We did see one bird but he was out of range. when we got back Chris was kind enough to help me button up old Minnesota's project.
The guys in the cabin struggled finding fish, but yesterday stumbled onto the mother load and I was able to visit them and have a couple pieces of fresh fish last night.
Deb and Jim are coming up to give it a shot today while everyone else here will be packing up this morning.
I was hoping to make it to church for advent but saying goodbye too our guest may throw off the timing.
Today I need to spend the time picking up any thing on the ground lying around as snow is predicted starting Monday afternoon.
I would also like to take chris to my honey hole for grouse as it was huge for him to take the time to help me yesterday.
 The vexlars are charged and tonight the rods and reels will be prepped for the up and coming ice season.
 All the vehicles are starting and will see what this cold does to them. They still have a few small issue but they always do. I'm going to do a no snow, snow dance today and tomorrow but not sure if its going to work. Mother nature is getting ready to show her nasty side with snow and high winds out of the north then nw.
 Well its getting lite and I have ton of things to do. I can not empathize enough if your fishing on upper red lake please use common sense , Talk to the resort before you go on the lake. Be safe and have a buddy fishing with you. There's plenty of good fishing with in the first mile or two. We have all season to work our way out further as the season progresses.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
thanks cookie, always love your reports. see ya Friday!!
78.50"

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Great update! Sounds like good things are just around the corner.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
My no snow slow snow dance started off as rain? Guess I made a mistake and did a rain dance. Cleaning off the trucks last night I would say we got 3 inches far less then they predicted 9 to 11. The winds picked up last night and are howling right now. The snow was wet and heavy to start so I'm hoping its not blow in my landing to bad.
 Barny from Kellier is coming up today to do a little welding for us before we pull the house's off the shore line. Montana needs a hook re welded and the metal grade step repaired, Florida also need some work on the step.
 I got the radiator ordered for white Lightning aka Cheyanne. I'm hoping it arrives before Saturday and I can get Devon to install it while there here. We also have a lite bar for blue thunder that Devon gave me this summer. I noticed the wipers quit working on the red baron and we will have to check that out as there kinda important out there on the lake.
 Josh from Annandale is running a snowbear out there this year. He has a helper Travis that was out there yesterday guiding some customers. I talk to him briefly before the rain and snow started and he landed a 16 incher while I was talking to him, kinda curious how he did after that.
 I expect quite a few rentals will be working there way out on the lake starting Wednesday, my plans are to check my area one more time before I make the move onto the lake. I'm hoping to find 14 inches of ice the whole route so will see how that goes.
 I'm sure Buddy Hillmen will start dragging his road this morning if there's good visibility. He like to get that snow off asap to make the ice thicker on the road. Plus with a good wind a lot of it catches the air and its much less plowing.
 I know I have said it many times but it is one heck of a road and he takes a tremendous amount of pride in building it. Its a lot of work, a lot of ware and tare on the trucks, but I also enjoy being part of his operation.
 Crazy but I have heard and saw pics of a few. " More then 3" elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappies this  year. Deb and Jim did not fair to well sunday fishing. I think it was there first time on red lake. They did manage to get two in the time they fished and also missed a couple. They came off the lake before dark to be on the safe side.
 If you decide to come fish upper red lake in the near future please check in with the access resorts. With the snow cover they will have information Of any areas to avoid since they have all been checking condition daily. Remember common sense and if it does not look right it is probably not. Do not try and go to saved waypoints un tell we have weeks of ice making temps. Its just a fish. There's plenty of fishable ice that's average 10 inches. And the last Thing is remember as the old timer Dave told me" ITS A GRAND LAKE AND IT OWES US NOTHING!, NOTHING!

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
so here's the scoop, Buddy Hillmen and I started the super highway yesterday. We made about a mile of road with the berm to the south . Crossing the berm would be a bad idea. Hillmens is allowing any size wheel house out to less then a mile with wheelers or side by sides. Any other question you can call the store 218 647 8504.
He also has some open rental on the lake at this time.
 I have a very busy day ahead as the fleet is coming out of the woods today,

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow was I pooped last night. Here I thought buddy hillmen would be dragging the road. I headed down to the lake after the big blow Wednesday morning to find like always 3 to 4 feet of snow in our yard. Mean while Hank next door to us to the north, you could drive a car off there landing? WTf .To funny it must just make the perfect whirlpool. After spending a hour clearing our yard I headed over to hillmens to do the same thing.  Buddy hillmen showed up with the drag and headed out while I worked on the landing. After he made two trips out he left and came back with his brown ford straight blade and we finished up the landing. then just like that we were making the super highway,pushing all the snow to the south. Jst as it was getting dark I headed to North country food and fuel to check the fluids and get gas. The right back out for another hour as we buttoned it up. Over a mile of the super highway done. Blue thunder got a work out , other then one wiper broken and one headlight burned out she came threw with flying colors, gotta love that truck.
 Yesterday was another busy day as everything on the list for Wednesday now had to be done yesterday plus getting all 6 houses out of the woods and on to the lake to kick off the 2017 2018 season. I had dropped the ball on sunday and forgot too gather all the extension cords out of the woods . Luckily I had pulled them out of all the summer growth so it was just a mater of pulling them out of 4 foot drifts as they were not tangled in the underbrush, still a chore though.
Each house had to be secured, then broken loose before they could be tugged out of there resting places. Again blue thunder preformed flawlessly. Man I love that truck.lol. One by one  I towed them out to the fishing grounds, 6 houses in all are now positioned on the north side of hillmens highway with 4 ready to block, bank and auger for todays first crews. Did I say I was pooped? Came in the house last night well after dark worn out. I need a second wind all ready and I have only been on the lake 2 days OH! OH! There was know 3 course meal last night it was a frozen pizza ,hot shower, a couple phone calls" more then 2" and bed by 930.
 Day 3 on the lake begins with gathering any blocks left down at the lake before the next snow fall. 3 propane's and gathering all the extension cords. Then Its time to prep as 24 holes have to be augered before 2pm. I'll just plug away and remember what That old timer Dave told me  "ITS A GRAND LAKE AND IT OWES ME NOTHING NOTHING!

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
City: waskish
 Remote Name: 209.191.208.74
 Date: 03/11/2003
 Time: 11:30:31 AM

Upper_Red_Lake

To all fishermen, If you spend 1/2 hour reading the past reports on here you should have all the knowledge you need to find those elusive crappies. Come and enjoy the lake , give every one plenty of room, Please bring your garbage home. Who ever left the 12 pack of empty bud cans I picked them up for you. Where do you think this garbage goes?I will tell you it ends up on the bottom of the lake or on shore so please take it home with you.This lake is pristine lets all keep it that way. THANKS COOKIE

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes it is pretty sad the amount of garbage that gets left behind on the lake.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow day 6 coming up of having the potential of being on the lake for a 102 days in a row. "ZOIKS"
 I thought it was interesting to see I have been blogging for over 14 years on some fishing sights.
here goes it was a great start to the 2017 2018 season. Getting things prepped on Friday was a grind to say the least. I think I got on the lake at 9 am and when  Ashly our granddaughter and Devon her guy plus our great grandson Bently, 9 months old this past weekend, It was 11pm.
  It has become official as Saturday bently set on his dads lap holding a fishing rod and jigging. 7 generations have wet a line on such a grand lake. I find that amazing. Grandpa Norman homesteaded here, They had Grama Olga who was raised on the Tamarac river with her brothers and sisters jalmer drowned up by  moose bank. My dad and his brother and sister ran the streets of waskish, I fished the lake when I was 6, Our kids came up her since they were babies. Our daughter kids same thing.  Matty being born up here, well bemidji  now Liam  and bently coming here. I guess it paid off and the kids were the last ones to check in and did the best of all 4 houses. We could not figure out if they could have a limit for bently so they went home with 8. 
 Jamie and Dustin were in montana, the closest house to shore. They only  landed  5 walleyes and two smaller pike, plus all the swings and a miss. The ice was a 17 inches where the house is. They stop flooding  around 19 so that will be sweet. You can get away with out blocking them after 20 inches but you need to keep a good eye on them as if you get some big drift s from snow they will freeze in.
 Jeff and Beth were in florida for one night,  There friends with my friend Jeff aka boar and his wife Lorie they were in north Dakota for the weekend. They hung out in florida tell late into the evening/morning and only caught a couple fish. Boar said I had his house in 5 feet of water? I showed him it was 7'11" They did real good Saturday night in North Dakota. I'm not even sure how many they caught other then the rattle wheels kept them entertained and they took home 8 fish.
Saturday I would be fishing  with Scott who lives in florida in our florida fish house. He was in mpls for work. He was  opening up a new dunken dounuts. If I would of know I would of had him bring be a bakers dozen.
 He had never ice fished, we got two rattle wheels set up and a vexlar, where we fished and visited from sunset tell about 8pm with a very slow bite . Scott did get to catch two keepers walleyes. So he was pleased that it was a catching trip and not a fishing trip. He spent the night on the lake. I came home and fried up his catch then brought him some fresh walleye as he had never tasted them.
 Yesterday I headed out to move florida as that area has now been burned out. There were 5 pop ups just a little west of north Dakota. I talk to them briefly and they said it was slow but they were in the same spot Saturday and sunday ?
 I timed it from when I stepped out the door and raised the step. It took me 40 minutes to dig out and move the house. So feasibly I could move 4 houses in 4 hours if everything clicks.
  Buddy Hillmen's highway is performing just like it was designed. We had a squall of snow Friday afternoon and it was minimum plowing even though we got a inch of snow coming down sideways with 30 miles a hour NW winds most of the evening.
 Scott, Bob and Pete? were in the cabin and they almost lost the portable out there when that weather picked up. They did well Saturday and went right back to where they fished the first night.
 We have one house rented tomorrow so at this time I have plenty of time to get re positioned for the next weekend.
We did get another inch of snow last night so there some snow to plow this morning. 3 miles I think of super highway. Buddy Hillmens still has plenty of opening for the 2017 2018 fish season 218 647 8504. There plans sounds like the double decker will go out after xmas

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
brrrr making more ice  -1 here in waskish this morning.
  Today will be day 6 working on the lake, Yesterday was the second day spent plowing most of the day which is never in the plans, Mother nature always rules here and always will. What I thought was 1 inch of snow was closer to 3 and with the winds again howling out of the nw it was pretty much impossible to maintain the ice road. The first mile was in good shape when I came off the lake last night but there all most 2 more miles that will need to be cleared.
 We pushed a lot of snow to the south that first mile so I expect that berm to collapse and sink soon? After that do not try and cross it ,I have way to much to do this winter to pull trucks out .
 Now there talking some high winds tomorrow after a front comes threw so if your going on the lake hold on to your hats.
 Not much for a fishing report today  snowbear Johse's customers were getting a couple I guess. I have a crew coming in today so I have some prep work to knock out right away before blue thunder gets another full day workout. Devon and Ashly our granddaughter installed I lite bar they gave me before they left and did that come in handy as blue thunder lost its other head lite yesterday. Thanks Devon and Ashly.
  Right now the plans are to plug away and get all the houses moved and reset by Thursday so I can auger all the holes Friday morning so we will see how that pans out.
 I'll know more today of what Buddy Hillmen's plans on letting on the lake, but it sounds like Rodgers will be letting 1/2 tons out by this weekend. I usually start at 9 but today its 7am instead

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Mother nature is all ready taking its toll on my equipment, Plowing, plowing, plowing. 2 plow lites,3 wiper blades, small radiator leak that I need to keep a eye on, 3 bolts on plow that need to be replaced asap. I will have to limp blue thunder for a couple days un tell they can be addressed. I was able to tighten two of the 4 bolts but I Imagine they will come loose rather quickly. Blue thunder is my work horse , I like banking my house's, un banking them with out blue thunder is quite the chore.
Buddy Hillmen's road is now in great shape. The berm did collapse as I anticipated so if you decide to cross it good luck. I saw where two vehicle's have all ready been pulled out.
 I can not say what Hillmen's are allowing out at this time so you would need to call the store. 218 647 8504.
 Yesterday more time was spent  cleaning up the main road which goes out around 3 miles. Buddy Hillmen had about twenty  stakes across the road shaped as x's. You would think that means do not go further? There were at least 5 houses beyond that area so Buddy just shook his head.
 Snowbead Josh says he  has been doing really well with his guiding operation.
  My guys in florida. Rob and Dave only managed 3 keepers. They went in for dinner at prime time, dusk, the bewitching hour Tuesday night. Wednesday they awoke with all there lines tangled. I guess they did not hear the rattle wheels, Boar had said Saturday night at midnight he caught 6 fish, then had another run around 4 30 am.
 Between plowing yesterday I was able to dig out and move montana and North Dakota. Old Minnesota will be moved today . Florida will need to be cleaned and vacuumed. Vacuuming the houses never get old. I just get a kick that I'm vacuuming a fish house. Then florida will also need to be moved again before the weekend. I have no idea if I can keep up this pace. I need mother nature to settle down a bit that's for sure.
 Jake and his crew arrived last night late in the cabin so I'm not sure where there going to fish.
 Most of my phone calls as of late have been about ice conditions, Buddy hillmens road is in great shape, any where to the north seems to be pretty safe as we never had all the open water. My houses are sitting on 18 inches of ice and last I heard a mile or two out was pushing 14.
 Be safe ,use common sense, keep the speed down on the ice road, and stay away from the berm to the south. The lake does have some snow with bare spots here and there. Watch for old  spots where houses have been, that's where there's going to be lots of snow from the drifting. Have a grand time on a grand lake. As Dave the old timer told me when I took him fishing years ago. "ITS A GRAND LAKE AND IT OWES ME NOTHING! NOTHING!

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Here's the scoop, Buddy Hillmen is now allowing 1/2 ton trucks with single axle wheel houses..
Also any size wheel house pulled by wheeler or side by side.
 Drive slow there's a bridge plate about a mile out.  Do not try and cross berm to the south of road. I have all ready seen a couple tracks where they did not make it through.
be safe use commom sense and enjoy such a grand lake.
  On a side note. Last weekend a small fish house was set up  about 200 yards from me. Sunday I was driving by and noticed a plastic bag so I stopped to pick it up. It was pushed down into the augured hole and turned out to be a bag of poop. From now on I will be taking random pics of wheel houses and if I find that kind of crap again I will be reporting to dnr and expect a possible  ticket in the mail.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Good for you Cookie :applause:! That kind of stuff really sets me off. :taz: :mad1: :angry2: :angry2:
« Last Edit: December 12/17/17, 08:37:48 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Well well where to begin? The good night bite we had last weekend just disappeared as the traffic arrived on the shores of upper red lake. All our houses were moved 100 to 200 yards west to a few inches of deeper water .Lets juat say that did not pay off , in hindsight I should of stayed around old Minnesota depths and maybe went the other direction.
 Jerry ,Bob  and Zack arrived Thursday eve and did not fair to well the first night. They managed a true couple with a rattle wheel or two but sure was not what I expected.
 Friday was again a busy day as I did final prep work and augured holes. Wayne arrived early for old Minnesota and missed one fish around 3 pm. That night we spent the evening hanging out and playing some cards with not a single nibble.
 Larry arrived alone for montana as his other guy bailed on him.  I'm not sure how all the house's caught over 40 fish, not counting misses to next to nothing. I have a idea but will just keep that one to my self.
 Saturday after a little recon and scouting a area, I had to make the decision to start the fleet out to deeper water. Old Minnesota was the first to move, in between I had to augur holes for Kevin and arrons arrivalin  florida and prep north Carolina,for Bobs arrival .
 Once old Minnesota  was banked and augured I headed back to moved north Dakota, Larry came over and gave a helping hand as I would be moving montana also. plus I checked in Kevin and Arron into florida where they watched out the picture window as the whole fleet was leaving them for better waters. Oh! Oh!
 After taking care of north Dakota I headed back to retrieve montana and was feeling the work load, the back is getting older every year.  Larry chiseled out the blocks after I pulled out and followed me. Once Montana was blocked, banked, augured it was closing in on 4 pm and I was spent. About 4:30 the phone rings and Its Kevin in florida and he wants to know if I'm coming back to move them as they have not got a bite and they have been fishing on a new spot for 4 hours. Plus I had told them how the fishing had been the last 24 hours. I explained that my back was done and I do not move houses in the dark in less its a emergency. After a couple phone calls I  could not find any one with a open house so I walked over to talk with Larry in Montana and ask if he would like some company for the evening as he had met them when he was waiting for me to come back and get his house.  Larry has rented from me quite a few times and he had no problem helping me out, so every thing was set in motion as I went to escort them out to the house. Wow what a day.
 The rest of the evening was spent playing cards with the hammer and our good friend Wayne catching a couple fish and missing a few fish with plenty of laughs to make us all a little younger. Chris stooped by to say hello, as well as gravy a previous customer and Travis the new kid on the block.
 Around 9;30 pm I had to escort Kevin and Arron back to florida where I hoped they would get a few more fish like last weekend. Then it was back to old Minnesota to finish up our card game and head home to bed.
 The fishing results, 8 for north Dakota, 7 for Minnesota, and 8 for montana plus numerous misses from all the houses.
 Yesterday was again busy as I said goodbye to all, then prepped north Dakota for Craig and his family. I also got all 3 houses ready as we started putting new carpet in florida, montana and old Minnesota on the ice.
 Lets just say the weekend was a grind, I loved all most every minute of it and after supper last night  I was out like a baby at 7:35 pm. dreaming of such a grand lake that, as that old timer Dave Told me.  "Its a Grand Lake" A Grand Lake" and it owes me Nothing! Nothing!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
78.50"

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
get on those fish cookie.  ;)

We won't be up until after Christmas now, as i have too much to get done before we host this weekend. But i plan on staying up for the week in between Christmas and new years. me and my pup. kids will be up on night, and maybe my dad... and my buddy from Kab. i hope i get on some fish for them.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
 Day 7 of having the houses on the lake and I hate to say it seems a lot longer. North Dakota has been moved for its third time as well florida . I'm hoping to get montana and old Minnesota moved today followed op by north Carolina.
 Criag and his family Mary, the kids, Addison, Carson and Conner. Craig had it all dialed in to how and fish with small kids and brought up tip ups that he placed in the holes then put the hole covers back on. each one had a beeper alarm that triggered a bite . They had a Grand time and I escorted off the lake in somewhat whiteout conditions Tuesday morning.
 Dale and Bobby rolled in Monday  fro old minnesota. Last year I promised them a fish dinner and due to a blizzard on the lake last year we did not go out there that night. It could not of worked out better as The fish we  kept while wayne was here were just sitting in a bowl of ice, cleaned from the day before . The hammer and I headed out around 4 to have dinner and fish a bit. We were only in the house for less then 15 minutes when dale set the hook on a nice fish. When he saw it and thought he had a sheaphead but low and behold a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie was splashing in the hole. It was 14 1/2 inches,  not only the biggest he has ever caught but also his first upper red lake crappie, they have been here numerous times over the years winter and summer, that's just says how elusive they truly are. Then to boot it was in the hammer's favorite spot but she took it like a trooper.  As I was taking a pic, the rattle wheel went off and the hammer lost what could of very well been another elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie. :pouty: Then Bobby jo says hey my bobbers gone, another swing and a miss. Wow! did a small school happen to pass by . The world will never know ?
 Dinner could not of turned out better and Dale commented it was the best fish fry he had ever had. 
  Mel, Dan and Robbie were also here installing new carpet in florida montana and old Minnesota. They had a hoot while they were here as always. They sure love having fun and fishing. They managed to eat some fish and also take home a few. The carpet turned out great .
  Of course in between all this action, mother nature had to throw in her two cents. Most of the main road stayed open by design but the side roads drifted in pretty good and also left some pretty good drifts around houses on the lake. Then the berm on the south collapsed sending a few cracks through the road. So if your on Hillmens highway, please drive slow, its not a freeway! Think of it as a school zone or your out on a sunday drive.
 Today Rick and Dianne roll in as well as Ryan and his crew, so I again have plenty to do this morning. 16 holes to augur and I would like to get old Minnesota moved as well as montana.
 I did stop and check on Matt and Billy in old Minnesota as I was leaving the lake and matt had caught a fishing pole  with a nice 19 incher attached. Turns out Bobby jo's pole was missing Tuesday morning. I took the pole but they would not give me the fish to also return to her.