Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: cookies upper red lake report from the shores of upper red lake  (Read 224504 times)

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
We survived the first real cold snap? The fishing could of been better but that seems to be the case this year. I'm not sure why its slower then usual. I'm still sticking to my theory the fish are fat, healthy and really do not need to eat  to survive?
 Our plans are still going to be what we have always done. Try and  put the house's on fresh spots after every group. weather permitting, and our equipment working. Try to leave areas before there burned out. Do the cookie shuffle, when were getting a few.  With 4 generators we have been able to spread out more then the past?
Even the wheel house's we plowed and  picked spots for last weekend struggled.
 I had to leave early sunday morning to go see my mom in Iowa. Were back home today, ready to re shuffle for the weekend.

It was nice to see Ken, Carl, Terri and Sarah last weekend. There from Iowa. We did move them after there first night as I wanted to get out of that area before this snow hit us . 4 inches of powder kept Jonny boy busy yesterday helping Buddy hillmen clean up the super highway. They stayed in florida for there 3rd or 4rth year. Such nice people , we traded some blueberry's for some homemade jam that I will be sampling tomorrow. They got there cookie's hoodies a year late but they did get them. They only got a few fish even after getting to fish 2 completely different areas.
 Jon v and his crew left after 4 nights,if I remember right they also got to move once. They did go home with 16 fish plus had 2 fish frys. Last year Bernie  figured they caught 25or more  a day so not so good this year.
 We had new customers in Kentucky. A very nice family Adam, Christeen? 2 kids Cooper and Conner. They did have some action, with quite a few keeper perch and only a couple walleyes. It did sound like they would come again, That's always been my goal to have repeat customers.
 Montana had Kevin, Darla, Scotty and forgot the other girls name. I know they got at least 8. I did not get to say good bye to them.
 Wayne was in old Minnesota and also got to fish 2 spots. Not sure what's going on with him. When he comes up I spend quite a bit of time hanging out as he owns old Minnesota and one of our best friends. The hammer and I always fish with him when he is here. We moved old Minnesota Saturday. The hammer and I showed up after dark , he had not landed fish. The hammer drops her line down and had a fish with in 30 seconds? As the saying says you can not make that sh up.
 Jonny boy fished it last night in the same spot and landed 3  keepers with 1 over 21?
  We had another two couples check into North Dakota Saturday, Lacy, Kevin, Fred and Maria again on a new spot. I think they went home with 8.
 Mike checked in sunday for 2 nights. they have caught a few but nothing to brag about.
 Today its back to grinding as we have Trevor coming for 3 houses tomorrow and Darrel rolling in tonight.  Rick will roll in Friday morning. I sure hope we can have better fishing for all. I think 3 resorts have something going on this weekend I cog at Rodgers, Red lake adventure biggest walleye  contest and jrs indoor fishing contest. I'm not sure if Hillmens has the crappie floppers coming to play music this year but I assume they will.
 Well its that time to fire up the fleet ,check the fluids and get to work on  such a grand lake

Cookie's on Upper Red Lake
e-mail: cookie16@paulbunyan.net

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday was again a busy day here 5 miles out on such a grand lake.
 Jonny boy, Jessi and I  were able to get er done as we finally moved the whole fleet in one day. 6 were dug out , north Carolina was all ready to go sitting on the side road.

It was fun working like a well oiled machine with every one knowing there job.
Today we will be battling mother nature as a dusting of snow last night with 4 inches of powder from Monday should create white out conditions most of the day.
 4 of the sleepers need to be augured out, all powered up ready to go by this afternoon. I have more matianace to do on the fleet so the torpedo heater and tarp will be drug out of storage again.
 Jonny boy  and Jess were out fishing last night on a new spot. Jonny boy is still hooked on the elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie. The fish sure are finicky this year, There are so many reports of fish that will  not bite. I expect they are walleye as Billy and Jacky saw at least 10 on there camera one night a few weeks ago. They got 3. Less ten 200 feet away Tim and Amanda landed 21 in two days. Amanda said they were tight to the bottom with a very lite bite.  I think next time they come up I'm going to wet a line with those two. Your never to old to learn a trick or two. Mark also said a week ago they watch fish after fish suck in there minnow and spit it out with out there bobbers every moving?
 Rick will be rolling in tomorrow morning for there second trip of the season. Trevor and his large crew roll in later today for 3 of the houses. Trevor was here quite a few years ago. I talked to him yesterday and they were pretty excited to be coming up again.
 Darrel arrived yesterday with his dad so will see how they did on that new spot. There here for 4 nights.
 Tomorrow Kentucky will be moved for Larry and  his crews arrival on Saturday.
 Mother nature had decided to throw in some wicked cold weather. I have a feeling blue thunder and the red baron may idle all night a couple times through out the next week. 
 The winds picked up last night so I expect some drifting out there this morning.
 If anyone would like a hoodie we have about 50 new ones .

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
I knew the winds blew pretty good Wednesday night as our friend Lonnie got off low Wednesday night rather then ride it out and struggle to get off thursday morning.
 After getting blue thunder warmed, gassed and ready to go. I hit the lake and the ice road  was at least half way gone. Errr. Again plan A goes to plan B. With Jonny boy prepping 4 of the houses I started plowing the south edge all the way to the end of the road. Then it was back to the east. Trying to get some of the snow in the air as the winds were still pretty strong. Buddy Hillmens was dragging the first mile as I went back and forth. Hindsite is a funny thing. Looking back I should of went and got the red Baron.
 We got Trevor checked in some time in the afternoon as by then I had Jonny boy running the red baron as we cleared the road, The last 1/4 mile I heard a clunk. .I had broken a  u joint on the front driveshaft. We took her out of 4 wheel drive and I limped her home.
 Friday morning I would be checking in Rick. After going to a neighbors and plowing out there drive way I notice the red baron blower motor is not working. Talk about a cold ride out to the houses.
 I got her back home asap and under the tarp. I replaced the blower with a used one I had on the shelf. That one got me through the day un tell last night 6 miles out and that one took a shh.
 The hammer will have to go track me one down this morning.
 Mean while Jonny boy was pulling out the drive shaft on Blue thunder. One of the 4 bolts had broken off in the yoke so plan A turned to plan B as he had to drill the bolt out. Trying to do that laying under the truck  when it was over 20 below was not a great plan. I gave Buddy Hillmen a call where he let us bring it over and put it up on his lift which made the job 10 times easier Thanks Buddy.
 Again a big disappointment in the fishing .
With all the houses on fresh spots a few fish ware  being caught. Were not seeing many of the over 17 we were seeing a month ago. We are getting quite a few nice perch though. Very strange year. Many bigger perch this year..
 I'll break down the numbers of fish caught tomorrow after we say good bye to all our guest.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
UGGGGG! Just came in from plowing the gas station and store. We got dumped on with some more snow.
Oh well mother nature always seems to step in and throw a wrench in the operation.
 Have you ever tried to plow a parking lot ,drive way when your a perfectionist? It futile. Lucky I learned you  can not clean it all up.
 Now a little good news as the fishing finally picked up a bit for some. With all the houses on fresh ice ,new locations I expected a couple fish to be caught.
 Bob and Mary had me plow them a spot for 40.00 they ended up catching a dozen I be leave. So My new saying is I plow you a spot for 50 but I'll take 40.

Some other guys wanted me to plow them to a spot on there narvonics for 40 . Nope wasn't happing as I had no idea how far they wanted to go.
 I expect were going to start seeing some slush pockets out there after this dumping. I did notice a spot yesterday.
 North Dakota was set up with Dave and his 3 boys Al, Hunter, and Jake. They were less then 200 yards where Bob and Mary were fishing. They landed 1 fish. Ish
 Florida which was 150 feet away from  north Dakota with Rollie and Kevin got there 8. Plus a couple bonus pike and a nice perch. Plus they had a little rattle wheel action. crazy
 I plowed  another spot for LouAnn and we set her wheel house up for her. They did not do that well 2.
 Kentucky had Ashly,Colton and Jackson. They had a lot of bite and landed a couple plus lost a bigger one in the middle of the night.
 Old Minnesota was a bust with Jim a last minute deal. He had his son Austin 3 year old.
  Montana was near Minnesota and also had  hardly any action? Craig and Spenser came last year and did real well so they were a little disappointed to say the least. I sure expected better fishing in that area as The hammer and I fished a couple nites last week, We lost a few fish, missed a few and landed a couple.
 Jonny boy and Jess had some action in California also? Plus last nite they caught 4 or 5 before dark.
 We also plowed a spot for our friend Lonnie and he had a few last night during the snowfall.
 Steve use north Carolina as a day house and only landed one. 100 feet from California. Stupid fish.

Yesterday we were able to move 4 house s and check in  Arnett and mike in north Dakota.
Jeff also showed up with his parents for florida so I'm hoping they had action last night as we stayed on shore with all the snow coming down.
 Looks like we will be plowing, plowing ,plowing all week. In between we will again have to get the whole fleet  moved and set up for the coming weekend.
 I'm thinking it could be a grand week on a grand lake that owes us nothing

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Talk about getting some snow. Yesterday we spent  most of the day prepping the red barom amd Blue thunder for another bout of cleaning Hillmens road.. From the looks of it yesterday  getting off road  would all most be impossible..
 We have our work cut out for us today as we alos have to get all the houses set up. Montana and floriida  are ready to auguar,  north Dakota is ready to move ,block bank auguar, Minnesota needs to be dug out as well as California and north caroliana.
If your coming today take your time as I have a feeling we will be running behind.
 I'm nursing blue thunder as she's struggling to get good heat in the cab. Seems the new radiator a year ago  has a couple pin holes in the plastic seems. Why in the world would they ever make radiators out of plastic is beyond me.  We have a new one on order.
 Jeff was here  the beginning of the week . They got 5.
The hammer and I fished just a little and have managed  a few  in between the snow storms.
 Cutting trails with  the red baron is getting  tougher as there s just so mush snow. Will have to see how she goes today.
 I do have Chandler and dustin out there fishing in old Minnesota a so will get to see if that spot had any activity at night as the rattle wheels have been pretty quiet at night tell 4 am.  Time to hit the lake

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
I would have to say last week was one of those weeks you do not want a repeat of. Back to Back snow storms put the hurt on the fleet. Blue thunder has a new radiator coming, it may need a new starter when I get tired of crawling under it and tapping it with a hammer.
 Friday was a brutal day for me as  we prepped and checked in customers . I was in blue thunder all day with just enough heat to keep the windshield clear. Friday evening  waiting for our last check in I was shivering at home. Luckly it was our good friend Wayne so he understood I did not feel that well.
 The red baron also had some issues as we saw a small radiator leak. We had only made 1 pass down buddy hillmens road which was completely snowed in.  I had Jonny boy head home. We got home and found the leak. It just so happens when I junked out the grey goose I had the common sense to take out the radiator. I left Jonny boy to the task of replacing her while I headed back out to cut the north edge of the road. When the crew arrive for montana and florida  they were a few guys Zack that jonny boy use to work with and have had a tradition going on 3 years. One of the guys jumped in to help jonny boy button her up  and the red baron was back on the ice in less then 3 hours. Installing a used radiator, out side, under a tarp in  -10 degrees. If I remember right I gave Jonny boy a slap on the back with a job well done.
 Right now both trucks need to be monitered well as we try a thaw them out. 
  Now for the fishing re[port. it has gotten better in spots with Sean is wife  and daughter and good friend joeff landing over 30 fish . Purple was the hot color.
 Mean while Wayne was in old Minnesota with not a nibble. The house had not been moved all week as it was never fished  more then 24 straight  hours. being it was wayne he was nice enogh to fish it there the first night,
We did move it Saturday doing the cookie shuffle. It paid off as the hammer and I joined wayne Saturday eve. We landed 8 fish in a 2 hours flurry with wayne landing his biggest red lake walleye a fat chunky 24 incher. We also lost a couple  fish.
 Mean while the crew out in montana were having a grand time on a grand lake. Jonny has been hanging with them as they all head home today.
 Dustin and Chandler fished 3 different spots in 4 nights. They did not do that well but did get a couple fish. They also improvised a tool for retrieving a wallet on the bottom of the lake.
 Kentucky only had customers 1 night. Joanie and her crew. They were just north of north Dakota and had the super slow fishing. Stupid fish.
 Today were back to regrouping as we have Paul and his crew in north Dakota and Tom coming for California. Plus sounds like
there may be another band of snow coming our way. I'm defiantly trying the no snow snow dance today.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday I got a early start as I headed out to top off the generators, then back to shore to plow out a couple driveways  for some locals. Once that was done it was right back out on the lake to check on the guys. Since the fishing had picked up I was looking forward to some better reports .
 First stop was California with Tom and his crew, they had 7 when I had last seen them . They did manage to get a couple more .
 Paul his brother and 2 buddies had a couple more when I arrived around 10 am. As I was visiting they had a nice little run or school of fish come through and managed to land a couple more while I rooted them on.
 Then it was over to check on Jeff and his family that had arrived Monday evening around 8pm.
 They had only managed one little one in Kentucky and a 17 out of old Minnesota.
 Jonny boy was out further fishing florida which had been fish fri Saturday sunday. With pretty decent fishing over the weekend it was more of a scouting and matianace  evening for him and jess. They landed 3 quality fish while spending the night out there. Jess also landed a fat 18 around noon yesterday.
 So all in all the fishing has gotten much better.
  After checking in on everyone I headed out to grab montana and move her back towards the fleet. With warmer temps, a lite snow coming down,  a wisp of wind. I soaked up the tranquility of working on such a grand lake. My thoughts were. This makes up for the struggles and brutal conditions we have endured the past few weeks.
 With all the snow out on the lake most of the houses are closer to the main road. Every year is different and this is no exception. Once I got montana in her spot I headed home to grab blue thunder and head back out to block and bank her for Glens arrival today.
 Just like that I jump in blue thunder and hit the key. Nothing. Back to the grind as I crawl under the truck to lightly tap the starter. After attempting that 3 or 4 times it was time to lug the torpedo out and warm her up.
Of course we lost a extension coed over the weekend so I did not have a long enough cord, so back out on the lake to retrieve a cord,  I did get her running , but a new starter will be arriving today, along with a radiator that's in route and a 100 foot extension cord.
 Heading back out I got montana prepped  for today, Then headed over to check on everyone, gas up the generators and get blue thunder back home. There's just enough heat to keep the window clear.
 After some rest and dinner I again headed out to check on everyone, visit a bit.
 My last stop was Kentucky where they were all playing a dice game with the kids, I hung with them tell a little after 10 where I did the generators and headed home, another 16 hour day in the books.
 Today we will be saying good bye to a few and checking in glen, plus Gary and kay.
The snow on the lake has made any off road travel not advised, I saw where some guys with a truck and chains made it about 20 feet off the main road where Wayne said they spent over 2 hours trying to un bury it..
 As I was coming out that evening I saw the two guys were heading off the lake never wetting a line.
  Well its time to hit the lake, As that old timer Dave told me. ITS A GRAND LAKE AND  OWES US NOTHING NOTHING

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Then there were 10? Yes only ten days left of walleye,pike fishing here on such a grand lake.
 Of course its been another busy 2 days for me as I grind and battle mother nature. I'm not complaining as its such a challenging job. Planning days in advance, mother nature always throwing curve balls. left, right, up, down. We start the season wanting a bit of snow , We end up towards the end of the season with well over 2 feet.
With the weight of the snow our houses have pretty much flooded every spot.
 The silly fish start to bite all of a sudden? Now that its such a chore to get around. It will be interesting to see how it goes the next 10 days.
 Paul,Dennis,Brad, and Josh arrived sunday for north Dakota for 4 nights. With the great fishing Sean had with his family we decided we would start the first night on the same spot. They did get a couple fish but we would be doing the cookie shuffle the next day. It was not a big move as some times that's all it takes.
 The guys caught a few fish right away. The third morning they had a nice run, Paul tangled with the legendary pike nick named jingle bells for all the lures its taken. They had it half way up the hole after a epic battle only to have it slip away.
The last night they were treated to a nice run on the rattle wheels  at 4 am .
 Tom,Darrin and Mike were in California. They were here 2 night,The first night they got 7 followed by 2 more for a total of 9.
 Glen was here one night and landed on the mother load, A school of fish must of decide to rest under that house as he actually got tired of catching fish. Well just like that my plans changed as Rodger needs a place to rest as they drove up to get there broken car so I gotta go.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
I guess another rough Friday is in the books. Getting everything ready for our guest Friday morning was a challenge to say the least. While I was prepping ,Jonny boy had to put the new starter in blue thunder as she decided 20 below was time to give up. Plan A had again changed just like that as I banked north Dakota with a shovel after moving snow around with the red baron. I was then off to bank California, as I was again trying to maneuver the red baron around I noticed we had a radiator leak so I shut her down.
Jonny boy rolled up and we finished banking California. He was auguring the holes. I jump into blue thunder to move some more snow around. All of sudden we had a plow line deciding to leak. Back to hand banking Kentucky as I also shut her down. Just like that both plow truck would need to be limped home.
 We checked in the customer through out the day.
Bard and his daughter Ryley arrived for California for a quick 1 night stay. They got there 8 before 8pm and decided to head home.
 Ben, Shawna and the kids were in montana the  house that Glen put the hurt on the fish Tuesday. They leave today after spending 3 nights . With a new 6 week old baby Sully they had there hands full. They managed to catch a couple fish before I got a phone call around 11 pm. Shawna had got a nice 18 with the rattle wheel. In the excitement the lure popped out and buried itself in her arm. I headed out to see if I could get it out with the string trick. With two barbs in her arm it was a little tricky. With the two little ones sleeping ,the baby crying a bit we got her out. No sooner then we were done and The rattle wheel by the door goes off. We encourage her too land the fish as she was a little gun shy. being such a trooper she set the line and they had another 18 in the bucket, My work was done so I headed back home.
 Neal was with Tracy in north Dakota with there friends Bob and Lori in florida. Florida caught more fish then north Dakota but they all had a grand time on a grand lake. Tracy and I came up with a new facebook page we may launch soon.
 Morgan her dad Tom, and her two boys Griffin and Arron were in Kentucky. They had some bites but had trouble hooking them as it was a lite bite for them. They did manage to get 4 nice one before they left yesterday.
 Jason and his brother Troy checked into Minnesota, they kinda drew the short straw  because of my break downs. The house was not moved like, I like. It would be interesting to see how they would do as Minnesota had been sitting there for a week. Jason managed to get his first red lake walleye and did miss a few fish. They were here one more night so will see how they finished out later on.
 Kirk and his son Arron are in California they were up to a couple 4 or 5 as of last night. will see if it picked up for them.
 I plowed a spot for Keith and his son Andrew before the red baron broke. They got there 8 so we found another fishy area to ruin.

Will say good bye to everyone this morning, regroup, and improvise as we start prepping for the last weekend of walleye fishing. I need to repair or replace the radiator on the  red baron asap. Jonny boy got the old one out yesterday so that chore is half done.
Ii was able to get new plow lines made for blue thunder Saturday, plus we installed the new radiator so again blue thunder will be the work horse for  a few days.
 We also have a few guest coming today and tomorrow, they will be fishing houses that caught fish but will not be moved.
 Its something I do not care to do but will defiantly be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Well its the push to the end of big game fish season. With the amount of snow on the lake looking for the elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie will be a challenge.

The good news is both plow trucks have new radiators.
 Were still seeing a few more walleyes caught compared to most of the year, I have no clue why there biting better now other then there fat reserves are waring off from the feasting they did this late summer and fall.
 Glen and his crew were up to a few ? 8 this morning with another 10 smaller one's released, so there getting some action. Glen is a fishing machine so if ther'es fish in the area he will catch them.

Darrin and the boys ended up with 7,Jonny boy and Jess have caught a couple. I lost a nice one while cleaning Minnesota yesterday.
 Were picking up two of the grand kids today so Jonny boy and Jess will be holding down the fort.
 Its pretty quiet out on the lake today with maybe 10 fishermen out there counting my 7 . The guys in montana Andrew, Noah, Chris were sleeping so not sure how they did at this time.
 We have 2 early arrivals Friday so just like every day, all winter long we will be busy tomorrow.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
I guess the first thing to say is mother nature is brutal just brutal. With the high winds predicted my plan A turned to plan B on Saturday. I guess that's nothing new this year or most years. Talk about a challenge. It just never stops.
 I'm not complaining as the season winds down. We had a great year customer wise. Having all my repeat customers year after year is such a reward as they become friends then customers second. I write more about the highs and lows the next few days as  I reminisce about what I woulda, coulda done better. 
 The fishing on the other hand was probably  one of the worst we have seen. My theory is the bait fish in this lake last summer into fall was unreal. We marked fish all year that refused to bite. The only problem with my theory is the early ice bite. But I would guess they were still putting on the feed bags at that time. Then the rest of the year/winter they could live off there fat reserves. I would guess I saw hundreds of fish and not a skinny one in the bunch.
 Seeing the winds were going to basically be hurricane forces? After taking the grand kids out to lunch Saturday I fired up blue thunder and headed out on the lake to prep around all the houses.  Talk to all our customer and warn them of the up and coming winds. I also stopped and gave  the wheel houses I plowed spots for a heads up. Some took my warning and pulled the plug. Brandon and his wife left with there 8, Glen and his son also got there 8  and hit the road. Alisa and hubby got off.
 Rick  got off the lake early sunday morning just in time. They did not do so well in old Minnesota. It does sound like Rick may come up this summer.
 Mark and Sarah were in montana. They also only managed a couple fish but she enjoyed her first ice fishing trip.
  California  had Jack and his dad. They also did not do that well. They did take my warning and got off the lake before the big winds hit.
 Florida had Dan his wife Valli and daughter Brooke. They had outstanding fishing. They headed off the lake sunday once I got out there. I escorted them back to shore along with Darrel in his wheel house.
  The winds were unreal by that time, I had to go back out one more time to gather generators, what a mess.
 My last stop was to get Boar off the lake and drop gas off to the other Jeff in his ice castle.
 Joe and his dad Rick are still out in north Dakota. John and Jess stayed in florida to ride out the winds. So north Dakota is 100 feet from florida and they have caught only a couple fish? I don't think I will ever figure out why that is.
 The red baron is running and I guess its time to go check things out. Blue thunders plow stopped going up and down  as I was buttoning up my prep work so That's needs to be addressed asap. Stay tuned as we keep on trucking on a grand lake that owes us nothing

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
thanks cookie for everything!!
what he do.........hook a couple eelpout to your hook!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
78.50"

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday was another grand day working on a grand lake.
 Seeing all the news of rescues. We just went about our business and headed out on the best road on red lake . There were only a few that road out the storm. They all new we would be out once the winds subsided.
 I dropped the red barons v plow after sledge hammering all the ice off her. Reminded me of the deadliest catch when they have to pound the ice off the  ships. I can not imagine doing a whole ship. Wow!
 Our plans were simple. Just plow down the center of Hillmens highway to the last wheel house, then work our way back making the trail wide enough to get off the lake. No one out there was panicking,they all were just riding out the furoshise winds. V plowing up to the front of the vehicles  is always tricky. Yes we had to shovel a bit. I then backed the red baron in, hooked up tow rope and pulled them out.  All and all it went pretty well.
 Once we had  everyone off the lake. 5 total.   Jonny boy and I headed out to take north Dakota and florida close to home. After plowing every one out I decided I needed to throw in the towel. Leaving the houses out chasing the elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie with all the snow seems like a real bad idea at this time. We will see what mother  nature does but for now the houses are coming close to home. We do plan on targeting them  with the sleds if possible as I have a couple spots I would like to try.
 One spot you line up the tree with, the ditch grade, a mile from the main road. Had to throw that in there for my good friend Jake.
 Jonny boy and I went about our business. With all the snow the houses did have some flooding issue, but just taking our time, slow and steady, not being in any big hurry as my mentor cousin Pete taught me. We were on the move. It basically took twice the time as normal with all the drifting etc.

Joe and Rick did go home with there 8 with 2 over so that was nice. Both house also had on a big walleye sunday night. I would guess it was the same fish as they do swim around, Joe lost her at the hole in north dakota as well as jess fishing in florida.
 Bill and Sharon were the farthest from the road  but we were able to slowly make our way out there with the last  20 feet  consisting  of a little backing up and ramming.
 Jeff and Bethany  had a pretty good drift in front of them so a little shoveling was in order. Then  the tow strap got them on the road.
 All my other houses were good from the prep work I did Saturday. No flooding issue and easy to get to.
 Today the plans is to get them all closer to home ,then a couple days off as I'm a little  burned out.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :confused: dang that cookie took one heck of a vacation!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
So here's the real scoop.  When my season ends I have a hard time . I go from planning 3 days ahead to basically twiddling my thumbs. It something I have had to learn to deal with .
 I enjoy writing about working on the lake and meeting, helping fellow fishermen.
 I have a list of things to get done. once I start checking them off all things get better as I stay busy. the guys at the golf course nick named it the res runner. Great car but she looks like a beater for sure

All's well on the home front . I need to start fiddling with the boat this week and also the beater car.
 I would also like to  get all the fuel out of my old 56 mercury. It be fun to get her running better. So I have plenty to do.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
good to hear from ya brother, keep pluging away!!
78.50"

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
X 3 Been wonderin :scratch:, figured you had a lot goin on winding down from the season. :cool: :happy1:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
well not much to sat other then its a grand lake that owes us nothing. The winds from the south made it a challenge to fish. I would say it was more like catching then fishing. What can you say they wanted to harvest some of the fish between 17 and 20 inches . I would say that was a success. All the guys here at our cabins had no problem catching fish  Even  a  couple rookies got in on the action.
 I'm hoping some morel  mushrooms will start too popping this week.as we finally had temps over 60.
 There's no problem with lack of water this year as the lake is more then likely above normal with the tamarac river still flowing at quite the rate.
 I did even here of a couple elusive yet still catchable crappies caught. And of all places out in front of our place to boot?
 I expect to be going back to work at oak harbor golf course this week so it will be back to the grind.
Every year I have these grand plans of getting my old 56 merc running like a top. Then  I get caught up in golfing after work. I also have some repairs from the past winter, plus maintenance on the fish houses.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
78.50"

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Mother nature decided to give red lake a reprieve as she has been getting hammered. Yesterday the ramp was busy all day long. For every boat going out another was coming in. The fishing has been pretty darn good but today the white caps will keep 99% of the fishermen off the lake.
 I still have not had much luck finding any morels but I 'll keep looking.
 Will be heading back to the Oak Harbor golf course for work next week.
We do have a couple crews coming today.
 With all the water this year I expect one of the tough years when it comes to skitters .They can be brutal up here at dawn and dusk.
 We plan on doing some fishing again this weekend. Our good buddy Wayne is going to try and make it up.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
good luck cookie! im trying to round up the posse.for.cmapaalooza but aint got to many chimi g in. ill work on em, their more interest in zmakedown.
78.50"

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
With the winds yesterday morning it was a bit quiet on the lake  for at least part of the day.
A couples of the guys  from Sean crew arrived and did get out to catch  enough for a fish fry.
 Sitting here this morning the boats have been going by  at a pretty good pace. I did watch a semi pass a boat. I'm not sure why people think they can pass other vehicles through waskish as it is painted a double line I see it every day. lets just pray no one ever has a accident as there's driveways all the way through town. Living here 20 years and I have never seen a vehicle pulled over for passing ? Do not see many getting pulled over for speeding either? Oh well.
 Frank and the guys will also be rolling in today.
 It will be interesting see the harvest numbers when they come out . When we fished last weekend we never caught 1 under 17 so it was a good thing they changed the slot. I have not seen the gigantic schools of shiners like last year. It may have something to do with the water levels but last year it was totally amazing.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
The weather was a factor this past weekend as it was chilly on the lake.
 Jonny boy and I tried to find a couple elusive yet catchable upper red lake crappies Friday night with no avail.
We did catch quite a few walleyes though. Will keep searching ,looking for the mother load.
 The walleye fishing was definitely slower this week for some. Jonny boy wayne and I did get out twice. Wayne did get to go home with 4.
  The new crew that stayed here had a great time and all ready committed to next year. They had a nice camp fire ,did some grilling,played some bags,had a fish fry.
 Frank and the guys did find fish with the evening being way better then the morning bite.
 Wayne and I did tromp through the woods  a bit with no signs of any morels yet.
 Back to work today, Ken never showed or called so if you read this give me a a call as I do not have your number anymore.