Minnesota Outdoorsman - Minnesota Fishing and Hunting Reports

Recent

Author Topic: cookies upper red lake report from the shores of upper red lake  (Read 99458 times)

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: cookies upper red lake report from the shores of upper red lake
« Reply #630 on: June 10, 2019, 07:17:34 AM »
I usually do not put out many fishing reports during the summer. Last Thursday while mowing the park I did stop to talk to the census lady as the access was crazy busy. I ask her where all these fishermen come from. She said most from the county. I guess you call them day trippers. Bemidji, northome, kellier, grand rapids etc.  She said 121 boats went out that day and most everyone coming in had caught some fish. The lake was like glass that day and one of my favorite days to fish on red myself.
 Friday the winds picked up but again the fish were snapping.
 Saturday we had some guest for one night Ronnica and Traig.  With strong winds straight out of the south we ventured out on the lake.  It took us a while to get down towards Rodgers to get out of the 4 foot waves where we drifted spinners and jigs with some fantastic fishing. Lots of fun and laughs with some nice people for sure.
 Bobby  and Daryl son Justin  was also up for the weekend. They went out in the wind friday and found the honey hole where they got 7 limits in 3 hours of fishing. They also managed to get sun burnt and soaking wet coming in . They had a blast and never went out Saturday.
Cookie's on Upper Red Lake
e-mail: cookie16@paulbunyan.net

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
« Reply #631 on: July 10, 2019, 07:30:08 AM »
Its again been awhile since I put a fishing report out.
Working 2 jobs in the summer 5 days a week keeps me plenty busy. I've been seeing the same patterns as most years. The bigger 18 19 inch fish we were crushing are now 13 to 16. There's different theory's. After watching the dnr doing there seining test last summer, if this year is the same there's plenty of food for the fish to eat . They swim to deeper water? There all have been caught?
We did get out twice over the fourth of July with family. Both trips were a lot of fun. Saturday morning we headed to my morning spot with Miss, Eric, Britny and Nick. the weatherman said winds would be less the 3 mile a hour but once we were out there they had to be 12 to 15. As we fished the winds dissipated and by 9 am it was much calmer. Are first fish in the boat was none other then a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie. A nice 14 1/2 incher that my grand daughter brit landed. Eric then got in on the action with a real nice golden eye. I may have to start smoking fish as there seems to be plenty of them if a guy were to target them. Eric had the hot had and landed the most fish, brit was right behind, Nick could not by a bite so I designated him the minnow boy. Miss also had trouble catching any thing but finally landed a monster sheephead. We ended up keeping 6 fish and letting a few small ones go.
 The second trip of the day Matty, Elvis, Jonny boy and Nick went again. My grandson Mathew had the first bite, when I checked his bait 90% of the leach was gone. Then Elvis caught on fire, Jonny boy missed a couple before he landed a real nice one, Nick then got on the board followed by Mathew getting a nice 18 incher for the biggest walleye of the two trips. We ended up with another 8 keepers in the live well with everyone missing and landing a couple fish.
 Leaches out performed fatheads by far as both trips we burned through 24 leaches in no time. With all the bait fish/young of the year fish. I be leave a leach is like a piece of candy to the fish. We never tried night crawlers.
 I also talked to a few fellow fisherman that did well fishing cranks.
 The rest of the summer looks real quiet. Neither of the cabins are rented the rest of the summer.
 The big bog festival is this weekend. The potluck in the park Friday night is one of my favorites followed by church in the park Sunday morning then  a wild rice pancake breakfast here in Waskish. There's a softball tournament in Kellier Saturday as well as car show, kids activity's and two bands Saturday evening.  Sunday early afternoon is also the  mud runs in the pit here in Waskish, This has really become popular and is always a big turnout.
 We then have Hillman's  memorial softball tournament coming July 26 27 28th. there always looking for more teams. They start there festivity Friday with beer ball. Saturday after softball they play tackle football in the mad pit which is again a huge turnout. Hillmen's also have a band Saturday night. Then Sunday they finish off there softball tournament.
 We then have Westwind Corn hole tournament the first weekend in august . I think the hammer and I may enter as she is also using that nick name throwing bags.
 Time to get ready for work, again leaches seem to be the better choice of bait.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
« Reply #632 on: September 30, 2019, 07:58:15 AM »
ust like that and summer has came to a end. I'll miss going to work at the oak harbor golf course in Baudette.
 We did have a few late summer highlights with our granddaughter Britanie landing a elusive yet still catchable 14 !/2 crappie while we were trolling for walleyes. My grandson Mathew catching a fat 18 inch walleye within seconds of throwing his line out. Him saying hey I got one with me saying no you don't! Only to turn around  and say hey  maybe you do . Shell chick landings 41 inch pike after throwing a 100 cast with a spinner and 2 minnows. I think I maybe threw about 25 cast before I called it quits. She has always been a above average fisherwoman.
 We have started to take reservation for the up and coming ice fishing season. Quite a few or our regulars have already reserved there traditional dates. We have also taken a few new ones.
 Talking to The dnr  while they were doing there late season test nets. They looked good with a average of 40 fish or so per net. I also heard a rumor of some smaller nets getting quite a few small elusive 5 inch upper red lake crappies erlier this summer. I always like hearing that.
 I have talked to a few fisherman the last 2 weeks with some good fishing reports. The last time I was out I got 2 nice fish and lost another.
 I've only seen a couple grouse so far this fall but have not even been out to my deer stand yet.
 Just like every year we have a little work to get the fleet up and running for the season. All the houses will get another detailing with the heaters fired up.
 The Minnesota twins have been a big surprise so I'm looking forward to enjoying rooting for them.
 Bob, Rick and James will again be up for deer hunting so it will be nice to see them.
 I have plenty of organizing to do to keep me busy for the next few weeks.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 774
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #633 on: September 30, 2019, 08:09:30 PM »
thanks cookie, looking forward tonseeing younthis winter, qnd reading ur reports. hang tough brother
MY DEER IS BIGGER THAN GLENS!!
HD SAYS SO!!! IN YO FACE GLENN!!
GRAND MASTER CHAMPION OF GLENNS SB CONTEST!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
  • Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1130
« Reply #634 on: September 30, 2019, 08:13:20 PM »
thanks cookie, looking forward tonseeing younthis winter, qnd reading ur reports. hang tough brother
yea I bet he's dreading that!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning: :mooning: :moon:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
« Reply #635 on: November 15, 2019, 09:33:49 AM »
We have started to see a few fishermen walking out with good success on this very,very early ice. Jake came up yesterday and ventured ou.Walkedt with his 4 year old son Lakken. They managed to land 6 releasing  one just over 20 but keeping 4 healthy fat fish. . Jake raves about how much he likes the way  Westwind "the premier resort here on the shores of upper red lake" cooks your catch. So I got to enjoy my first fresh dinner of walleye since this late summer.
  Most of the resorts planned on allowing fishermen out last Wednesday the 13th but high winds shifted the ice causing a large gap/crack down on the south shore. It was decided to hold up a few more days to be on the safe side.
 Here on the east side it also cracked but pushed together causing a pressure ridge at this time. It sounds like it formed in about 4 feet of water.
 Our books here are starting to fill in weekends for jan but still pretty wide open in feb.  With many weekday openings where I offer 20% off.
 Looking at the long range forecast there is a chance we may have our sleepers out the first weekend in Dec, but only mother nature will help decide that at this time. I'm herring a average of 8 inches of ice at this time . I personally do not venture out on the lake until I can drive blue thunder on the ice. So we need about 6 more inches for me.
 We still have plenty of prepping to do with the fleet of houses and vehicles.
 I be leave everyone has lodging in sleepers along the shoreline at this time.
 My good friends Bob and Rick are here deer hunting this week. It again has been a very quiet year. This is tough country to hunt. One of the areas we hunt has a wolf problem which may or may not have anything to do with it.
 I moved my bow hunting stand  Wednesday. Last night when I got there two deer had  at some time walked within 10 feet of my spot. Darn the luck. I have not tried that spot in the morning but may give it a shot tomorrow morning.

Video