Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: cookies upper red lake report from the shores of upper red lake  (Read 224611 times)

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Another week of mother nature has worn me out. Being 62 does not help.
Trying to keep track of the past week has been tough. With the impending snow and winds predicted we had to decide if our best move would be to get the fleet closer to the main road. At least this way we would be able to get to our customers if any problems arose. I would say last thursday may have been one of the hardest days I have had on the lake when it comes to moving houses. We moved 9 houses. The weatherman was right on the money with the snows and winds. Friday the access was closed to wheelhouses. We were able to get our customers checked in. With our house spread  out from 2 miles to 5 i expected some good fishing could be had from at least some of the house. Saturday we spent the better part of the day moving 4-foot drifts away from the houses and reopening all the driveways as they were completely filled in.
Utah with Andy, Doug and John had the best fishing of the fleet. That house was out about 2 miles out, Super nice guys. They were happy to go home with 9 fish plus they did eat a few .
Florida and Montana were out closer to 5 miles with a few fish caught both nights.
 Old minnesota and North dakota were not rented tell saturday.
 I sure expected better fishing in those spots only to be disappointed. Wayne and Paul headed home with 5 walleyes 3 perch and a pike.
 Alaska had Fred, Melisa and there 2 friends they did also get some fish but again nothing to brag about.
 Today we have a flat tire to deal with, an alternator that going out plus a couple houses that need to be moved.
Wish us luck as we try to finish off strong here on the shore of upper red lake that owes us nothing

Cookie's on Upper Red Lake
e-mail: cookie16@paulbunyan.net

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
My guess is mother nature took a good look around the lake and found some snow she had not blown around, so yesterday a north north east wind put a nice chill in the air and again drifted in the main road to the point of needing plowing most of the main road again. Our driveways at least did not fill in but there are some drifts to knock down.
 I have never really counted down the days tell the season ends but this year with the amount of snow on the lake I have caught myself counting them down. 4 nights to go 5 if you count sunday night.
 With predicted light and variable winds today and tomorrow Jonny boy and I may be lost out there.
 The hammer and I decided we would get in another night of fishing and have dinner out there. I got her set up first. she missed her first fish of many within ten minutes. It was quite comical as I tried to get my set up, she kept losing fish or missing them. Every time I was threading my line on the jig she would have a fish on. I would drop what I was doing go pull her vex line up only to have her lose another fish. A couple of them may have been keepers but we will never know. She commented there were all sorts of fish down there as I turned on my vex only to have her batterie die within seconds of me getting my line down. I set her up with mine so we could put a charge on hers.
 Now it was time to start dinner, so my fishing was done. dinner turned out ok with fish, Brockley, and noodles.
 The hammer did land 3 fish but there were just little scuffits. One may have been pushing 15. After dinner we fished for a little longer then decided to pack up as I was beat. Packing up is a big chore also. Coming in we had made the right decision of bringing red rusty trusty as we would never of made it in with the car.
 Brian and Stacy have been in florida we checked them in tuesday, this is there tenth year staying with us on the anniversary. They did all right the first night getting a 18, 16, and 15-inch walleye,6 keeper perch, and 1 very elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie. Stacy had commented she sure would like to catch one. She was rewarded with a nice 14 incher.
 Jake was also up sunday , monday. He helped Jonny boy and I move a couple of the houses. They caught enough to have a fish fry at westwinds monday eve, Jake and Gabrial just love the way they do their fish there plus Gabrial always has a bowl of westwind famous wild rice soup.
  Tyler also came in with his 2 boys, we had plowed them a spot and they had 6 fish to eat. They also headed home yesterday with at least 5 more they caught yesterday.
 I also set up mike and his two buddy's in north dakota so we will see how they did today. They were only staying the one night.
 Of course, we have another busy day as montana and old minnesota have guest coming today as well as setting up Darrin's 2 houses for his cousins. Friday will be busy as old minnesota and montana will need to be moved and reset plus, I be leave we have a couple wheelhouses coming. With all the snow they are basically getting a driveway off the main road.
 The final weekend we have 5 of the seven houses with repeat customers, just the way I like it on a grand lake that owes us nothing.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
not sure about you cookie......but i'm thinking ALOT  of these resort owners that plow roads and maintain a fleet are going to glad when the season finally ends...... at least int he back of there mind anyway.....

from what i read its been one tough year on the ice for you guys!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Every year is different here on the shores of upper red lake. This year was no exception. It sure seemed we would get just enough snow every week followed by huge winds from two to 3 different directions. Followed by bone chilling cold to battle. It only takes a small dusting of snow with high winds to create 3-foot drifts around every snowbank and object out there.  The red baron never got to see the ice this year as the electrical problem never got solved.
The red chevy rusty trusty had to do all the trail blazing. Blue thunder was my daily driver as black beauty is still waiting for a used transmission to be installed. The red baron has always been our back up truck for moving the houses.
 I babied the hell out of blue thunder this year. She had a few hiccups but being a chevy she has heald up pretty well this year. Knock on wood as she still has plenty of work to do as I slowly bring the fleet close to shore for now.
 Old minnesota will be the last one to come in so I can relax and do a little fishing as I try to land an elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie.
Last night our fucus was on getting at least one more walleye dinner. The hammer came through after a few lost fish with a fat 17 incher. I followed up also after a few misses and lost fish with another just over 17. We pulled the plug after watching 2 movies and having a grilled cheese and soup for dinner. Jonny boy stayed out there just in case a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie swims by.
 The fishing report from the past few days is not anything like last year's last weekend of game fish season.
We had a nice area all scouted out that was very fishy. The houses were way spread out. The cookie shuffle was done on a couple houses that had done pretty good last week while the other houses were placed into new un fished areas.
 Montana and old minnesota had Butch' s crew wednesday thursday. The first night montana got 9 walleyes. while old minnesota got a 14-inch elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie and only a couple walleyes. Old minnesota got another 14 inch crappie thursday night. Monatana only got a few mor walleyes. Friday we had to move 3 houses for a turnover. Montana had alisa and her guy she also landed a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie. another 14 incher to boot.  They also landed a few walleyes with one over 22 inches.
 Florida had Tony and Tela They did get a 33 inch pike out of that house and a few smaller walleyes. Sounds like both couples would like to come back next year.
 Alaska Had joe,chris,rock and Zack. They have been coming for years. Jonny boy use to work with them many moons ago. They did not pound the fish but Joe said the good time they had made up for it. He said nobody on the lake had as much fun as them. They did get enough fish for a fish fry at jrs saturday afternoon.

Utah had Jarred his brother and friend. Jarrod has been here a few times. They only managed to get 4 nice keeper walleyes plus a few smaller ones. Jarrod said they plan on coming again next year.
Old minnesota and Todd, Danny and Drake they only took home 4 or5 keepers. Drake is 4 but still remembers me eating a minnow last year. Danny is a nephew of ours.
 Northh dakota had Jim his boy and son inlaw. They had a few fish also but nothing to brag about. They were here last year also the last weekend, so they have got to see the good with the bad in there two trips.
 california had by far the best fishing. Tammy, Bob and Tony. They ate fish plus also took home there 3 limits. They want to come up this summer and stay in one of our cabins. They also were repeat customers.
 We also plowed a few driveways for wheelhouses. Nicks house land 8 elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappies.
Presstons house got a elusive 14 inch upper red lake crappie. plus a few walleyes.
 Rods house did so bad friday night we plowed them a new area where they managed to get 5 keepers plus a pike.The few other wheelhouses I'm not sure how they did.
 Lonnie's crew of 5 wheelhouses did pretty well I believe, they were the closest houses towards shore to boot. The hammer and I spent some time with them saturday night, Lonnie and Lisa have become pretty good friends over the years. Lisa even got a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie.
Hillmans had the band the crappie floppers but we missed out this year. Its just a group of guys that jam together once a year at hillmans. Last year I played harmonica with them for one tune, so much fun.
 Jonny boy is going down to florida this week for a must deserved vacation. He sure has come into his own up here in god's country. As parents kellie aka the hammer and I cannot be any prouder how he has stepped up and helped us get through these tough winters as we are not getting any younger.
 My plan this week is to just plug away and dig out the last 5 houses. I'll pull one in every time I come to shore this week. If I find a couple elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappies all the better. We might have a guest this coming sunday depending on mother nature.
 To all our new and old customers be leave me with all my heart you all keep me going. Thank you so much. As I get older its harder to make the rounds after a day working on the lake. After dinner I'm spent. This year at least 2 to 3 days a week was dedicated to fighting mother nature. Gotta go for now

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
I see it as been quite a while since I have written any fishing reports.
 The summer has just screamed by this year. The fishing on this grand lake was very good throughout the summer. The water level was high all year causing quite a bit of erosion done on our lake shore. Plus, when we get higher winds out of the southwest the water floods the whole yard down there.
 We added another wheelhouse this year nick named Colorado. I should of some details and pics on our web site later this week.
 Jonny boy took a new job this summer so he will not be working on the lake with me every day. He does plan to still help out as much as possible so that's a good thing as my age is catching up to me. I 'm looking for a full-time helper so if anyone has any interest give me a shout. I do have some help from good friends when they are available, but they will be on their schedule not mine. I have a plan in my head so will see how that pans out.
 Jonny boy and Dan are going to get the used tranny put in black beauty,
 so, I have a lake truck for hauling propane and other supplies on and off the lake.
 I have started inventory on the other houses plus started some cleaning. The red baron is back home after being down all last winter. I love that truck so crossing my fingers she stays running this winter. Blue thunder will, need some tlc the next few weeks. Our other red chevy Big Red seems to be running rough so I have to try and figure that out?
 Working at the golf course Oak Harbor this summer we had quite a bit of damage from the high water up on the rainy river as it flooded part of the golf course most of the summer. The water has finally receded but there is quite a bit of work to do up there to get here back in shape.
 I'm all most positive that we will be battling mother nature again this year. Be nice if the winds are a little kinder this year.
 I was going to hook up with my old friend the Greek last week but plans changed as he had to get down to naples florida to take care of the damage at his place plus try and help the community in is neighborhood.
I have a pretty big to do list to get started on now that I'm done at the golf course. I'm hoping I can try and bow hunt again this year but we shall see.
 We also may have to adjust our prices just a bit,
 I will decide on that in the next few weeks.
Stay tuned as the countdown starts for another ice fishing season on a grand lake that owes us nothing

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I really enjoy reading what you go through in a day/ weekend cookie during the hard water season, good lord not sure I could do it or convince others to help. Ever thought of selling while the Lake is still doing good ? That's your chance to sit back , heal and let the Lake gives back what it owes you..

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I really enjoy reading what you go through in a day/ weekend cookie during the hard water season, good lord not sure I could do it or convince others to help. Ever thought of selling while the Lake is still doing good ? That's your chance to sit back , heal and let the Lake gives back what it owes you..
:scratch: you looking to buy?? :sleazy: :rotflmao:

I too really enjoy reading the trials and tribulations cookie endures!!👍

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I enjoy reading about the trials and tribulations that you go through.  A few years ago I would have been all over helping you.  It's an adventure and a tough thing to do.  I couldn't handle that anymore.  Bobb had a good idea earlier.  You may have a gold mine there.  Even a silver mine or even a copper mine may be a windfall.   You aren't as young as you were neither. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 Well most the time it's deep in your blood and tough to give up!👍 I really admire guys like cookie!

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
well thanks guys. the old back is wearing out so its a very big concern at this point. As far as gold mine not sure about that. 5 old trucks, couple plows  ,couple fish houses. I always said this was my retirement. never thought what happens when im to worn out  oops :confused:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Mayhaps an annual lease for someone to take it over so you keep getting money annually.  ???  You do what is good for you Cookie.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Well that countdown went fast.  From the looks of it plus reports from others that have walked out onto the lake, everything looks like a   go buy this friday. I myself do not care for the early ice. Our friend Ben was out saturday down towards the south end of the lake. He was out maybe 1\4 mile. There is some piled up ice where the winds just pounded the ice into a 20-foot-high pile. He was standing close to open water. I would say it was the size of a big truck. just a round open hole of ice. Not sure why it's like that. Once that glazes over you talking maybe one inch of ice. Then throw a layer of snow over that and now you have unsafe ice right next to 4 or 5 inches. I told him to ping that spot.
 Most years the first time i'm on the lake as when I can drive bluethunder. The lake was not looking so well last weeks. It seemed we got an inch or two of snow every day. The shoreline was showing some slush.  The winds came back in a fury friday with the coldest temps of the season. Saturday morning, I expected the worse only to my surprise  80  percent of the snow was gone. Quite a bit ended up on our shoreline and into the woods. Our property seems to have a vortex or something. I get 3 feet of drifted snow and the neighbor to the north get hardly any?
 Not sure what hillmans is charging this year for an access fee, they did post they were opening up to walking starting thursday.
 I have been plugging away. The boys did get the tranny in black beauty, sure nice having a comfortable warm truck to drive this year.
 Bluethunder got a small workout yesterday as I cleaned up down at the lake. The red baron blew a upper radiator hose. being a 88 were still waiting on a new hose. I spose if you're working on a hot rod you would just take some measurement then look at the Autopart's store for something that would work.
Jonny boy and I got the window back up on big red.
 I've gotten all the houses detailed with the heaters on. I have an inventory list. I sure wonder where all the steak knives go
The hammer and I will be heading down to the cites for thanksgiving while jonny boy and Dan hold down the fort? Now tha most of the resort will be opening up to walking the phone calls will start trickling in when do you think we can take out wheelers or sleds.
The winds were howling down there last night. Old mother nature sure can be brutal.
Rick and Bob were here for 9 days of hunting. They saw some deer this year but never got a good shot. Bob got a great pic of a buck walking by his trail cam around 7 40 am. He was hunting a different stand south of town when his phone sent him the pic. I still think it was funny.
Jonny boy and Dan also got the new carpet in old minnesota. They said they may be able to knock out north dakota thankgiving day. Time to hit the bricks, I imagine the next report I write will have a fishing report of a grand lake that owes us nothing

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
The sunday night winds I mentioned on my last report created a little surprise yesterday morning. The was a crack in front of the beach about 100 yards out that followed the shoreline south until just after hillman's them peeling away to the southwest. Somewhere to east is a big chunk of open yes open water. The ice piled up with one spot in front of Frank and Janas place close to 15 20 feet high. There's slabs of ice 4to 5 inches thick piled on top of ice. Buddy Hillmans of Hillmans resort said some places it could be 3 or 4 layers of ice making it 20 inches thick. In front of their place there are a few openings, so it looks like we will not have to make an opening through it.  When we pull our houses out of the woods we will have to find a route to bring the houses to Hillmans highway. Buddy had his stakes out about a 1/2 mile. The ice sheet moved them to northeast a bit. I imagine he will redo them, so his road is running straight out.
  There were a few fishermen out, not sure how they did. It looked like they were out in about 9 feet of water. Sounds like there were also a few fisher people down to the south also. Some fishing in 7 feet of water the others in 9 feet.
 Just as always as soon as the resort said they were going to open up to walking I get the calls. When will they let wheelers and sleds out? It so funny, once the give the green light for wheelers then the phones will start ringing again. When are they letting single axle houses out. I think they should call mother nature. I do not have her number though.
 Over did it Sunday getting things ready, so I was a little sore yesterday, my back has worn out, I did have it looked at, MRI they said I have narrowing of the spine? plus the other few issues that were already there. The plan at this point is keep plugging away. Any help I have this year will be doing most of the grunt work, one thing I am trying to do is not have as many houses rented on Wednesdays. Also giving 110 percent is totally out of the question. Being a grunt, my hole working career has taken its toll. I'm sure all the golf working at golf courses have not helped. Although I never had much pain swinging the golf club just practicing putting and chipping had always been an issue.
 As most should Know the limit for the winter is 3 fish 2 under 17 and the third any size. I had a spot two years ago I really liked so I hope I can get the houses to that area.
 Heading to Blackduck and Bemidji, this morning. Crossing my fingers, I got the right radiator hose ordered for the red baron. If not going to see if I can find one similar. I imagine if you're building a hot rod that what they do.
 I got 5 of the 6 generators running. One will not fire. I think it might have super bad gas as it does have good spark. The small engine repair shop charges 80 an hour. That sounds like a pretty good gig.
 The hammer took a new job and does not work at the  cenox gas station anymore. It was a good run. 17 years, Hindsight is always 20 20 we should have looked into buying it when it went up for sale. My thought was I do not want to have to do all the grunt work, waxing floors, cleaning minnow tanks, changing lightbulbs, painting etc. Again, hindsight maybe we could have hired people to do that work.
 Time to warm up the car, we did get another 1/4 inch of snow. Hope that pattern stops.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :happy1: its great seeing your reports again sir!!!!!!!!! :bow: :bow:

just keep boar away from moving parts......things wont break then!!!!! :sleazy: :evil: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I hope yu freeze yur trigger finger off next year....oh wait yu quit to early
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I hope yu freeze yur trigger finger off next year....oh wait yu quit to early
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning: :mooning: :mooning: :mooning: :mooning:

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Each day we are getting closer to crunch time here on the shore of upper red lake. 
We had some excitement here yesterday as the winds pushed the ice sheet opening up a wide crack down towards the south shore.
 Jrs. resort got a bridge out to a spot so as far as I know all the fisher people were able to safely get across.
 Last night the winds were howling out of the southwest so once it gets light out, I imagine all the resorts will be sending someone out on the ice to see what she looks like before they give the green light to go out today.
 I keep hearing 3 to 7 inches of ice? I still have not gone out as again I'm in no hurry. I like to wait tell I can drive blue thunder on the lake.
 I have seen quite a few pics of open water spots on the lake. She is a big lake so without flying over who know where they all could be. Once we get a good cold snap and calm winds those spots will glaze over. So, you could be checking ice that goes from 6 inches to 1 inch.? That is the reason the resort have to hold off letting machines on the ice as once there's a green light, they may end up going all most any ware.
 We do have a full house this weekend with guys staying in the houses on shore. It's a good way to start the season to work out any details before the houses hit the lake.
 We plan on going out of Hillmans resort again this year.
 As I get older my memory seems to be slipping a bit, so I would ask all bare with me this year.
 Both the red trucks still need to be driven around a bit to work out and bugs. Will get the plows on them once the houses come out of the woods. At this time, I think we're looking around the third weekend Dec. 18th possibly to get out on the lake. Mother nature will be making that decision for us.
We were not home over the holiday, but it sounds like she was pretty busy out there Saturday, with quite a few fish leaving the lake. I did see quite a few pics of the elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappies. Today I have some errands to run so I'll know more about the lake conditions when I get back home.
 The books are starting to fill in a bit more but there's still plenty of houses open throughout the season. Christmas to new year's is pretty much full. Gotta hit the road now as it is getting light out.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
I'am not ready to battle mother nature, A dusting of snow  tuesday night followed by 30 mph winds basically packed 4 feet of snow down on our lake shore in front of the houses. ERRRR. Blue thunder got its first good workout yesterday when i got home from a trip to Bemidji. I spent close to 3 hours plowing snow. I got stuck twice, where I had to dig out with the number 2 shovel. I still have some more to do today but was able to get done around 8 30 just before we had a few guests arrive., I did drive onto the lake about 100 yards . We have a few extra guest camping down there this weekend so they will be on the lake shore on ice.
 Wow the crack down at JRs sure made the news as the story keeps getting crazier. Had a guy call today that wanted to know how many houses went down? The national news said 200 fishermen were stranded floating on an iceberg.
 The guest we had down there tuesday all left a day early as those winds were wicked. 4 groups of 2 and 3 guys. The best figured they got 20 fish, the others were poor 1, 1, 3, with a few lookers.
 Still do not have a full-time helper this year, I do have help here and there, but she is going to take some extra planning this year, then throw in mother nature. This may be the most challenging year I'll ever have. I'll take all the prayers people want to dish out.  Time to get dressed for outside. I have plenty to do on a grand lake that owes us nothing.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Hang tough cookie! The good lord will see you thru.
Ill be around alot so if ya need a hand here and ther, ill be ther for ya!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I am not as excited as I usually am for ice fishing neither.  It will hit me eventually. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hang tough cookie! The good lord will see you thru.
Ill be around alot so if ya need a hand here and ther, ill be ther for ya!!
:doofus: :crazy: :doah: oh thats encouraging news!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :bonk: :bonk: :surrender: :banghead: :laughroll:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I am not as excited as I usually am for ice fishing neither.  It will hit me eventually.
Same here.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
I would say here on our end the fishing was good, bad and ugly.
from the guys we had here.  One group that walked straight out to 11 feet of water figured they landed 40 friday with  siver  being the hot lure color, saturday they wanted nothing too do with jigging and hit just the set lines.
Jonny boy was giving rides out to a area he fished last year plus he fished the first day out there. One of the guys got a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie a fat 15 incher. They were fishing in 8 feet of water. Jonny also came in with 3 nice keepers, so the hammer and I had fresh fish for dinner, One of the group went out of beacon harbor. they did pretty good the first day the next day they went out from hillmans, then saturday they went back to beacons.
  The guys in utah walked out of hillmans friday, they caught just a few. I worried about the into the evening as a squall of snow came through with some strong winds, they finally came in,they had some heater problems, they only had a mini sunflower to stay warm. With the temps dropping and the wind blowing I was shocked that they stayed out there that long. I had them come up to the garage and we got their other heater going as it had a bad connection.
The guys in Minnesota were cleaning fish the first night.
 There were alot a lot of bigger walleyes getting caught all around the lake, I have been seeing on the web. I'm quite surprised were seeing these size fish, anywhere from 25 to 28 inch walleyes.
 I also saw a local that had a pic of steam coming off the lake around sunset friday night. Sounds like it was out towards the end of big reef. Once Ii can drive on the lake I will not be driving anywhere near that area.
 Beacon Harbors guys posted a couple thin ice signs   to the left of their place. Maybe in 9 to 10 feet of water.
 Have to make it short today as I need to get the cabin ready for guest coming in this afternoon. If you come up listen carefully to the resorts as they have been checking ice everyday.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Mother nature has put a hold on getting the houses on the lake in fishy water.  I do plan on going out with jonny boys razor today.  I'll look around, punch a few holes, measure the ice myself.  It would be nice to get them on the lake before the next batch of snow drifts on our lake shore. With possible snow starting wednesday mother nature has the upper hand which is nothing new.
 We did have quite a few fishermen here the past weekend with no one getting skunked.
 Jason had melissa, barb and Allisa? Melissa was able to land a  elusive yet still catchable over 14-inch crappie to get her master pin from the club the girls belong to. She was pretty excited. They all did well and took home a few walleyes. Melissa had to release her crappie to earn her pin I be leave; Jason used Jonnyboys' razor to haul the girls and gear.
 Old minnesota had Rick and his buddy, they went down to jrs both days and were happy with the fishing.
 Ozzie and his buddy fished some cribs, they did really well the first 2 days, yesterday was a bit slower though.
 I never got to visit Patrick and his buddy as they were not at the shack the few times, I swung in to grab the garbage, I know they did have a wheeler issue but were able to clean the spark plug good enough to get it running.
 Bob plus his crew had colorado plus 3 ice castles staying out in front of our place. They had a huge fish fry friday night..
 I did play one game of cribbage with Jason and the guys in the cabin. We played red dog which they had never played. Jason and i won as they landed in the stink hole on their last count.
 Boar his wife Lorie also camped down on the lake shore. Boar said the fishing was outstanding.
 Never heard how Mason and Logan did.
 Again facebook was lit up with pics of fisherman catching out of all the resorts. No clue why we're seeing so many crappies. I guess there hungry. All those 10 and 11 inchers we have been letting go seem to be pushing into the 12s now.
 Up here on our end there is a pressure ridge out 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile that westwind plus Hillmans had to bridge.. Westwind battled the pressure ridge as the warm temps caused it to expand and sink a bit.
 I be leave most of the resorts are in a holding pattern until this snow comes in and then we get a nice string of cold weather again. There all different though so checking with the resorts that you plan on going out will be your best info. the next few days.
 Jonny boy will be up helping now for a few weeks which is huge for us. So far, I have been able to clean all the houses. plus yesterday I took north dakota off it blocks so I can jack up the houses at this time. Digging and moving them all on a daily basest may be different story.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
I did take the razor out on the lake yesterday to measure some ice . The least I found was just under 12 inches. The most was just over 14. I also checked out the pressure ridge that have bridges. The pressure ridge starts really close to shore south of westwinds.
 It does sound like most of the resorts are not going to let any wheelhouses on the lake until after this storm system passes through. The weather pattern keeps changing day to day. Now its saying some snow every day tell saturday.
 I think we should be able to start moving the houses out of the woods sunday, then get them all over to Hillmans resort as that's where we go out of.
 Not sure how the guys down on the lakeshore have been doing. They take off today. we now have a couple houses on shore that have opened up do to the weather. The guys also canceled the cabin.
 Our longtime friend Kirk is out on the lake. Jonny boy was heading out to wet a line with him.
 I'm still plugging away got a new list started so that will keep me busy. The whole fleet of trucks have some kind of repair.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
 Well I would say its official we now have all the houses on the lake in fishable water out of Hillmans resort here in Waskish.
 With Jonny boy, Darrin and Daves help we were able to dig all the houses out of the woods, cut a trail to hillmans road, cut another road to the north. Then bring all the shacks out to a fishy area. Darrin pre fished the area and did have some action with some real good action around 1am.
 We did have a full house this weekend. everyone went to different resorts with a couple fishing straight out from our place.
 The crew in the cabin had sleds and were on a mission to fish a certain area they fish every year. I did talk to them briefly, they said they caught fish with a few elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappies.
  Travis and Jim were first time guests. they were here since tuesday so they had quite the adventures as they fished throughout the two snowfalls we had. I would say we got a total of 14 inches of wet heavy snow. Mother nature just never lets up. They did find one slushy area where they buried their wheeler. It was very close to shore, more than likely where bull rushes were growing. They caught fish with some days better then others.
 Sean and Carter stayed in montana, they headed down to jrs as thats where Sean was most familiar with. It was a tough bite the first day. I did not get to find out how they did the second day as they were gone in the morning.
 Bob his son Noel plus there two friends stayed in Colorado the boys went out from our place friday eve, They did have some action but only landed a couple.
 Steave and his buddy stayed in old minnesota just for one night. They were headed over to beacon harbor yesterday. They also fished straight out from our place and caught a few after dark.
 Lared and his 2 buddies were in california. I had to call them yesterday to tell them there sleeping quarters were now out on the lake. That was quite a surprise for them. I got them out there after dark so we will see how they did in a bit. just talked to the guys they  got 7

Darrin also moved to a new area and had a couple when I talked to him last night. Utah set empty as well as florida.
 The snow on the lake will make cross country travel pretty tough. Flooding will also accrue when you auger holes.
 Hillmans has a bridge over a active pressure ridge about 1/2 mile out. I'll know more about what Buddy Hillman will be allowing out later today. I did here that Buddy Haillman has some rentals still available for the season on a grand lake that owes us nothing, The store number is 218 647  6504

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Of course, the first thing on my mind is to say Merry Christmas to all our friends, family and customers on such a glorious day.
 I'll start with a small fishing report from this past week. We were able to have a few guests in our sleepers as day houses before another round of mother nature showing us, she is the one in control. We had a group of 6 that called out of the blue as the arrangements they had made had fallen through.. John and his crew used florida and montana for the day. They only got a few fish with one or 2 21 inchers.. John did have a pandemonic and were seeing fish all day but trying to entice them to bite was tough. They packed it in about a hour after dark.
 Robert and his 2 buddies fished old minnesota. They managed 3 nice solid fish, Robert said they had to leave just as the bite was picking up. I headed out to turn the heat off and gather the generators.
 Lonnie Adam and Greg came up for the day, they fished old minnesota on wednesday. Adam did land a 32 inch pike. They also caught a couple smaller walleyes
 Every year things are different yet are the same. This grand lake freezes, cracks, moves before she settles down a bit. I would say we had close to 11 inches of ice before we got our first wet heavy snow close to 7 inches followed by another 6 or 7 more. This slowed down the ice making. It also caused quite a bit of extra work on all the equipment and resort plans around the lake.
 Now getting back to this week when everyone was making their decision what to do. Again, mother nature decided let's throw in some lite snow followed by high winds for 3 days. Mys well fill in all the ice roads, cause some big drifts around the houses and customers vehicles on the lake.
 We had a repeat group of customers coming in friday afternoon, so Jonny boy and I were out in all most white out conditions getting 3 houses ready for their arrival. Once we had them all checked in Jonny boy got working on the red baron again as she still would not run right, and we would be needing that big v plow asap .
 We decided it had to be the fuel pump so the gas tank would need to come off. I had a fuel pump that was a little bit shorter but maybe it would work. Working under  a old parachute with the torpedo heater and temps below - 10 somehow jonny boy was able to accomplish such a feat out in the driveway.  I was surprised to see how much crud was in the tank with what gas was in there broken down. That had to be the culprit. He also found 2 wires that were in need of repair.
 Once we got some gas back in her jonny boy fired her up. She revved up fine. we warmed her up and jonny boy took her out just in time to run her down the off-shoot road to our houses which was now completely blown in. One pass down and back and again the red baron coughed and sputtered. At least we now knew it was a fuel delivery problem.
Jonny boy headed home for the night, and we would again tackle it in the morning. I got the dreaded call around 1 am that one of the furnaces in colorado were not working. Once I got out there Rob and I were able to figure it out and get some heat going again. The regulator is freezing up. She will need a new one.
 Now this is becoming a long read. We got a new inline fuel filter, plus another new pump that was the right one. Again, the inline filter seemed to clear it up but after one pass yesterday on Hillmans main road she sputters again. Jonny boy dropped the tank again, replaced the pump and filter. As I helped button up the tank  jonny boy said if this did not work maybe we should put her in the burn pile. She fired up and for the next 3 hours into the dark Jonny boy helped buddy Hillman reopen the main road out to 2 miles any way. Let's not forget the red baron also came in with a flat rear tire so that needs to be addressed asap.
 I spent most of yesterday in blue thunder cleaning up all the drifting around the houses.  I did Spend a little time with our guest which are some of the nicest people you could ever meet, they even have grama out there. They also invited me for their shrimp boil. I love shrimp but I had already planned dinner with the hammer so I did not make it out there. They were up to 11 fish I be leave with a few misses thrown in plus one big fish that got off.
 I'm headed out there in a bit to say good morning and let them know the main road is open if they need to come to shore. The winds finely layed down, so we have a day and a half to prep everything for the week ahead.
 I would say most of the resorts are either open or opening tomorrow morning. Off road travel with a wheelhouse would more than likely be impossible as the winds have drifted the snow and packed it hard enough you can walk on top of it. The old v plow will be huge this year.   
 This Christmas I'm so thankful jonny boy is here to help his old man the first part of the season, then I have friends, family and possibly a couple part time people that will be helping me on such a grand lake that owes us nothing.