Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: freezer question  (Read 1618 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I have a 10.7 cubis ft freezer out in my garage. I had moved all that stuff in that freezer into the freezers in the house to save on the electric bill. with the venny we got I decided to plug it back in because it was a pain with it all in the other freezers. kept things froze rock hard for a while and this past weekend I noticed it was thawing out. any ideas?????? :scratch: someone said these newer freezers shouldn't be froze???????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Freezers and refrigerators don't work very well out in the cold.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
There never was a problem with older freezers.  The problem with newer ones is the refrigerant used separates in cold weather

Thawing
When the ambient temperature in the garage drops along with the colder weather outside, it may seem reasonable to think it is helping the freezer out. But it is not. In fact, the outside temperature can greatly affect how well the freezer works. To cool itself to the proper level, the compressor must turn on. But if the outside temperature cools the unit down to much less than 50 degrees, the compressor will only occasionally kick on. It may never come on at all. This means that eventually the freezer will be only as cold as it is outside. Unless you live in a place where the temperature in your garage is below zero, some of your foods will thaw.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
thing is, this particular freezer has been in my garage doing its thing for 8 to 9 years. winter .........spring.........summer and fall! :doah: :doah: :scratch: :scratch:

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
  I learn more here on MNO by accident than I could researching the web.   :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Take alook at the compresor if the copper tubing has grren corrosions u have a coolant leek. New freezers shijldant be out in the cold i whiped thr a upright 1000 dollar freezernin five yrs having plugged in out side. Never figurred that out why i kept a freezer pluged in during the middle of witer. :scratch:
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
last nite took a peek at the compressor area. had a mouse nest on some wiring but nothing chewed threw. cleaned it out with the air compressor. plugged it in and this morning it was 26-28 degrees??

how cold is a freezer suppose to be at??????????

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Below freezing  :banghead:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Retired on Osakis

• Master Outdoorsman
Should be zero degrees or lower.  :cold: