Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What area of state has the most bears?  (Read 5816 times)

Offline BigSwede

• Minnow
 I am curious to what your guys opinion is on what part of the state has the highest density of bears? I am looking to purchase a chunk of land to use solely as a base camp for bear hunting. I have been searching for a property along the north shore(Hovland area) thinking that this area would hold the most bears and have less hunting pressure. I have hunted Pine County in the past and also owned property in Dougals County, WI and I am just tired of too much competetion and high hunter traffic. One more question: What part of the state has the best "off the grid" property for sale? I truely would like to hunt in an area where it would be rare to see another hunter. Thanks everyone!
"When my time on earth is gone and my activities here are pass, I want they bury me upside down so my critics can kiss my ass"
-Bob Knight

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
man that's tough but your best bet for lack of hunters would be in the boundry waters canoe area but not sure what kind of land is for sale in that country. the Itasca county area didn't have much of a success rate this year bear hunting but is or should be good around the bigfork area. lake of the woods area can be pretty remote also.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Boy that is tough. A place with the highest density is gona attract hi numbers of hunters.good luck lots of research with harvest numbers and tag numbers sold over the years ect would give yu a better idea.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Or he could find out where a BOAR lives . :happy1: :coffee:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
That classified  information.
78.50"

Offline BigSwede

• Minnow
I've been studying the tags/harvest numbers on the DNR website but when they go by area it can be hard to narrow down a speciific area when the numbers go off large zones. I went to Vermillion CC in Ely but I wish I had been into bear hunting back then so I could have gained some insight on how the area produced. I assume if you own land in the BWCAW you would be able to use bait? I know you can't use bait otherwise in the BWCAW.
"When my time on earth is gone and my activities here are pass, I want they bury me upside down so my critics can kiss my ass"
-Bob Knight

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Been a while since I read the rules in the boundary Waters but I think you can use bait but need to take it out with you when done hunting.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Inthink glenn is right on that. I myself have always thought the area around waskish and pine island state forestto the east and south of baudette,would be where i would like to own land.second choice is south of rainy river area to the north and east of pine island. Bear density is pretty high. Locals talk about em like deer. Pine island is the largest state forest in the state. And the area around it is extrwamly desolate. Id think it would be pretty hard to own land in this state with out some kind of neighbors alway bumping into u,
78.50"

Offline BigSwede

• Minnow
 Thanks for the great info fellas! Boar I will do some research on those areas you mentioned. Glad to be part of this board!
-Bob Knight

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
You bet, I also Went to VCC, back in the 90's I wanna say 92-95 Nat. law I studied.
78.50"

Offline BigSwede

• Minnow
Awesome! Its a pretty neat school, I was there in 2001.
-Bob Knight

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Yep, i really enjoyed it. Wish i would taken advantage of my surroundings better than i did. But hey, it was college.lol i miss the area. Gota get back upin the spring to get my daughters shoulder mount
78.50"

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
you may also consider how accessible it will to were you're living.. as to maintain your bait would be hard if it's a 3 hour drive. but i don't know your story. you can also check the DNR site for which area has the most tags and most tags filled.  if the lottery gets tough you could get a few years without a tag.. I've never had a problem. but my land is in Aiken county. we usually have a number of different bears on camera in the spring. also check the dnr land sales and county websites for auctions.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline BigSwede

• Minnow
Great advice! Thanks man I will def check out the DNR land sales.
-Bob Knight

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
don't leave out the county websites. they sell tax forfeited chunks of land and it won't be on the dnr website. and if a chunk doesn't sell at auction and is still listed usually you can walk in and buy it for the opening bid..

i haven't purchased any land this way BUT... i think if i had the cash.. or the land was next to mine.. no brainer to go this path
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline BigSwede

• Minnow
 I'll def check that route as well, thanks buddy!
-Bob Knight