Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2015 garden thread  (Read 43690 times)

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Decided to dig up one plant tonight for supper.   I think I could feed a family of 10.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
dems some biggins!!!!!!!!!!

made 12 pints of salsa and 7 qts of stewed tomatoes today!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
dems some biggins!!!!!!!!!!

made 12 pints of salsa and 7 qts of stewed tomatoes today!!

The biggest one fed a family of 4 tonight.  Cut it up and made it on the pellet grill. :happy1:

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
The wife has hundreds of Roma tomatoes but they are almost all green yet.  The salsa and pizza sauce will be flowing soon.  There are a boat load of peppers out there too.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I got 16 green pepper plants and had to dig some out of the freezer to get enough to make a batch. I also have 8 jalepeno plants and had to buy some to finish. :doah: :doah:

I should have enough maters to do another batch thurs, fortunetly I got peppers from mom's friend. will have to buy jalepeno's. my onions also sucked this year.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
About half way done says the CP.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Glenn before you strain the brain that is jalapeƱo jelly in the small jars. ;)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:to Kate in the day to strain anything. That all from this year?? I got zippo zilch for green beans.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Most of it is from this year so far except the salsa.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
tonite, round 2 of salsa making!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
12 1/2 pints got brewed up last nite. one more batch and should be set till next year. took the 4 heads of cabbage out and yanked the cucumbers. that hurt a bit! :doah: :doah: by end of next week a few of the mater plants should be toast also!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I put up 12 jars of hamburger pickles (besides the other kinds of pickles I did) So, I think I'm done with them.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I put up 12 jars of hamburger pickles (besides the other kinds of pickles I did) So, I think I'm done with them.
not sure if those are the same  but I did 2 batches of a frig pickle, there sliced thin with onion brine is vinegar sugar and celery seed. don't go in a jar but stays in the frig. to sweet for my liking!
« Last Edit: August 08/27/15, 09:15:03 AM by glenn57 »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
not sure if those are the same  but I did 2 batches of a frig pickle, there sliced thin with onion brine is vinegar sugar and celery seed. don't go in a jar but stays in the frig. to sweet for my liking!

Nope, my own version of a Russian pickle, sliced at a quarter inch with hot peppers. I even did a couple jars with  ghost peppers.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
ghost peppers.......holy Hannah............. you must gotz a cast iron tummy!!!!!! :surrender: ;) ;)

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Nice to see everyone is getting some things done.   I dug one red potato plant and came up with this and for others a bit smaller.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
We are making some salsa pizza sauce and spaghetti sauce.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :happy1: lookin good!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
hey general........how many jalepeno pepper plants you plant to get all them??? my peppers have plain sucked the last 2 years. I usually plant 8 jalepenos and 16 bells. I had to buy them last year and this yrat! :doah: :doah: :doah: :banghead: :banghead:

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I think around 8 plants maybe 10.  The banana, green, and red, have all been doing great.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
really. :scratch: :scratch: :doah: wonder why mine suck????????

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Not sure.  Was you garden tilled properly? ;)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Not sure.  Was you garden tilled properly? ;)
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: maybe not. probably coors lite spilled!!!! naw cant be that. might be I planted them a bit to early. was pretty wet for a while this spring!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I think we solved it.  You have drunk peppers. :happy1:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You would think if a deer took a bite of a tomato and didn't like it, they wouldn't have to try another 5 or so just to make sure.  I have 16 plants so not biggie if they sample some.  They did however, wipe out the cabbage. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Deer do like cabbage! I had one jump the fence and take down 1/2 a row of kale (cabbage) before we noticed her in the garden.

I thought I was done with pickling....Mama wanted more jars of hamburger pickles, so I did those and a few jars of zucchini.....

Still got cukes coming, tomatoes are on the down slide, beans are done, beets are still doing OK. Jalapenos and Serrano are going gang busters with a few Anaheim's thrown in. Have not dug any potatoes for awhile, maybe this weekend.....

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
anyone else notice?? lately my maters are taking there sweet old time ripening???

sat did 14 more pts of salsa and 5 pints of tomato juice! most the big canning projects should be done. some more juice and maybe some stewed maters if I get enough to bother.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yeah Glenn, I got one plant of Roma tomatoes that is lagging behind.

And, I figured I'd better start digging potatoes  (now that jr has a job, and won't be able to help) dug a 5 gallon bucket tonight.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
nice looking spuds!!!!!!!!!! my romas got pulled this weekend. there done. its the others all of a sudden slow to ripen. I think its got a lot to do with the cooler weather.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
The CP said she is officially done with the garden.  She has some salsa to make yet but has picked everything she wants.  Guess I'm going to just till the rest under.  I'll wait as long as I can to dig the spuds.