Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: frost scraping  (Read 2726 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I had a old trapping friend say something about frost scraping and I had no clue what it was so I googled it had to try it.  I used a paint scraper with the square corners ground off.  I learned that it doesn't really work unless it is colder than 5 below zero.  If its to warm the scraper just plugs up.  Its a lot of work but the end product is pretty nice.  My dogs also love the little curles of fat.  They look just like wood shaving from a plainer.
Here is a before and one when I'm almost done.

Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
What paint scraper did you use? The the with a handle?I dont believe thats what the old timer meant.I have a couple in the garage yet, along with the handled paint scraper.Its just a rectangle piece of steel about  2 1/2 inches wide X 4 inches long and at most 1/8 inch thick,To keep it sharp a file is put to the edges whenever it needs it 90degrees from the flat surface. They work pretty slick.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It's the one that looks like a hammer handle and has replaceable carbide blades and you pull it downward.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
It's the one that looks like a hammer handle and has replaceable carbide blades and you pull it downward.
If you really want a scraper? I''l put a pic of one up tomorrow.If you'd like one you can have one. Might be a bit more than a ounce in weight,if you want it I dont think a buck would be shipping costs.Unless your near just stop an grab it.We're gettin old an decrepit! Decided to start to off lots a things that just lay around.
 With a frosted NOT frozen hide=Real cold but yet workable (frosted) scrapers make easy work and you wont get the skin serration as in the pic,once you get used to using it. I even bet from some scrap you could make one,I've seen some with different size rounded corners for gettin to tough flesh
 You may have to remind me if you wnt the pic :help:

I'll add I really like bever tail in beans or beaver tail bean soup. You think that hide would be tough enough for a knife scabbard? Kinda thin skin is my thought?
« Last Edit: March 03/01/15, 04:26:36 PM by dew2 »

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
dew2   I had a beaver tail wallet 25 years ago I got from the manitoba trappers association... it was tougher than elephant hide...the inside leather wore out long before the outside beaver tail.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I would love the scraper dew.  Hopefully i will have to wait until next year for negative temps.

The beavertail leather is really cool looking but is probably to thin for a knife sheath.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
I would love the scraper dew.  Hopefully i will have to wait until next year for negative temps.

The beavertail leather is really cool looking but is probably to thin for a knife sheath.
I did look for that scraper, It wasnt in the one spot I thought it was,I wasnt dressed for outside so quit looking. I will locate it once I start getting out in the garage and its yers if ya want it.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

I did look for that scraper, It wasnt in the one spot I thought it was,I wasnt dressed for outside so quit looking. I will locate it once I start getting out in the garage and its yers if ya want it.
No hurry dew. Thanks