Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 4th Annual MNO Lake Iwwanabethere ROCKBASS Challenge  (Read 12141 times)

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Ladys and Gentlemen  there will be a Fourth Annual ROCKBASS Challenge in 2015...

Basically same rules as last year, except you MUST be signed up for the regular 2015 MNO Fishing challenge. Just Post your TROPHY ROCKBASS photo with the same required item  with the ruler or fish board.  The Challenge is open the same time period as the MNO Challenge...Minnesota fishing opener until November 1st  at midnight.

Grand Prize for the Largest (Length) ROCKBASS will be the Wonderful Full Mount MNO Traveling ROCKBASS Trophy!

Other exceptional Prizes will be up for grabs also...to be announced .

Each entrant may upgrade Rockbass catches but the longest is the only one that counts.. First one posted of certain length gets higher placement if a tie. No minimum length.

Post your Whopper ROCKBASS Photos in this thread( Not the MNO 2015 Challenge)....Judging will also be in this thread.

IF the winner of the 2015 MNO Lake Iwwanabethere ROCKBASS tournament catches a Trophy Rockbass that beats the Minnesota Record of 2.0 lbs documented and submitted to the Mn DNR. Or beats any Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame record and is submitted and accepted (including catch and release)  a second Grand Prize will be awarded......

A matched  Ultralight rod and reel. from Reed's Outdoors.    The best rod/reel set up for Rockbass other than a cane pole!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
The one thing HD and I were looking forward to....getting together rock bass fishing.  Guess we'll have to stick to catching bottle bass.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
BottleBass and ROCKBASS go hand in Hand... ;)

Better get Signed up for the Summer Challenge!!! :bow:

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
It's ok Corny. HD and I understand you want to hang on to that trophy and don't want to go up against some real competition.  It sure isn't in the summer challenge.  We were hoping to find it here this year.  But if your just going to stick with that mediocre talent pool I guess we'll never know who the real champion is. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
ATTENTION!!!!!... change in the Challenge... I went to Reed's last Saturday and decided that IF a MNO contestant DOES break the Minnesota state record for ROCKBASS this summer I will personally donate not just a matched ultralight setup but the BEST ultralight setup Reed's has to offer.   Either a 13 or G. Loomis ultralight rod along with a matched Shimano Stradic reel...   So if you catch one 12" or longer make sure you get it officially weighted....this is Quite the SETUP for panfish or small walleyes!

BTW Im not excluded from this contest... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

FYI:  MN state record is a tie at 2lb 0 oz.  13.5" Lake Osakis and 12.5" Lake Winnibigoshish

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
So You have signed up for the 2015 MNO Challenge and are getting ready to start fishing.  The ROCKBASS challenge if you catch a fish around 12" or larger make sure you are ready to make sure its not the NEW STATE RECORD.   How do you set a New State Record Fish?
1a) First get your 2015 Fishing license.
1b) Then catch  a Trophy Rockbass close or over 12"
2) if you have a portable scale get a weight if 2.0lbs or higher..may be in the money!
3) Head immediately to the closest certified Scale ( Hardware stores, baitshops, and butcher shops have them.)  Place you fish on Ice ASAP  even in livewells  they will start loosing weight.  Time is of essence!  You will need address, store name, Brand of scale, type os scale, series number, and date of state certification. 
4) Have TWO witnesses at the official weigh in.  You will need Names, address, phone, signatures.
5) Length and Girth at weigh in.
6) Take several good quality photos full length of Fish
7) Take fish on ice to local DNR Fisheries office to have Official Identification of a ROCKBASS.  Must have Two Biologist/Managers agree and sign off.

Fill Out This Form!!!    http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation/fishing/recordfish_app02.pdf

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
  That record is ripe to be picked.  I caught one a few years ago through the ice in the Walker area that I never weighed or measured but still to this day I have not seen one like it.   :bonk: 
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
DDSBYDAY  :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:  When I was a kid fishing on Cass Lake I caught a Giant that weighted 3 lbs on my Zebco Fisherman's DeLiar!   She tasted Great.  My neighbor ( a Resort ) on Leech say they have cleaned a bunch over the years that would have broken the record!   Catching a Big female before spawn is the ticket!  They spawn late not till water temp is 70F.  Good Luck All!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
seriously??????????? :scratch: :scratch: people actually eat them?????? :doah: :doah: :doah:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
seriously??????????? :scratch: :scratch: people actually eat them?????? :doah: :doah: :doah:

A pain in da  :moon: to clean but very tasty :happy1: Not as much meat as it appears because of large rib cage. Only taste good from clear water.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
you must eat fish like crappies and bass to huh!!!!!!! :doah: :doah: :doah: EWE!!!!

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn57 even bullheads taste great if from clear water!!  Had a meal last spring after taking the Grandson's fishing. :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
YOUR RIGHT BULLHEADS ARE GREAT...............out of a smoker with a cold  :toast: :toast: or 2!!!!!!

Offline Retired on Osakis

• Master Outdoorsman
So you have to kill the fish to have a state record. That's  :bs: . I guess I'll never have a state record fish. If I was going to eat it fine, but I'm not going to kill it just to say I have the state record.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
So you have to kill the fish to have a state record. That's  :bs: . I guess I'll never have a state record fish. If I was going to eat it fine, but I'm not going to kill it just to say I have the state record.

The musky guys have this down.  I pity the person that takes the new record in.  Even though the chance of an old large fish of this caliber most likely would not survive a release.  The rock bass lobby is not as loud YET!!!
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
Retired, IF you can catch the New Record ROCKBASS on Lake Osakis.... and if you keep it on Ice, they taste just like Crappie do.   Personally Id have it Mounted if I caught a MN record fish.  To display next to My Traveling MNO ROCKBASS that is on my fireplace Mantle for all to see!! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

BTW:  Its going to stay there!!! :coffee:

• Master Outdoorsman
No desire to mount a fish. And you better find something else to put on your mantle because that trophy isn't staying there. ;D

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
Sorry Retired BUT I'm planning on Breaking the Minnesota state record ROCKBASS this summer!!!  The MNO Traveling ROCKBASS will be staying right where it is!! ;)

Here is a video of the Reel that will be awarded to Record Breaker!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1oq1RUIRv4

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
I am in again this year - I have found out in my years of experience that I am really good at catching Rockbass.
and I will sport my MNO rockbass shirt as I catch a whopper this year.

:happy1:

• Master Outdoorsman
I guess I could bring myself to kill a Rockbass for that reel. Let me just give my condolences for your loss in advance there Corny.  :rotflmao:

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
WOW:happy1:  There are 21 Great Fishermen and fisherwoman already signed up to try to break the Minnesota State Record!!  Just remember its not just the great Shimano Reel up for grabs.... there will be the best ultra light rod along with it!  Probably a G. Loomis or <13> Fishing!!!!  Donated by Yours Truly!   Make sure you are Signed up for the 2015 MNO Fishing Challenge before its too late!   :bonk:

So where should you try fishing for this Trophy.... Winnibigosh, Leech, Cass chain, Osakis, or Deadeye's secret spot!!!   :stillfish:

Here are a few tips for those of you that can't seem to catch them...or that don't realize what GREAT fish they are!!http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/2014/07/tips-for-catching-the-highly-underrated-rock-bass

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
Out at the Lake getting everything ready for opener!  Thought I'd add a photo of where the MNO TRAVELING ROCKBASS is currently residing!! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

And planning on staying! :bow:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  Don't paint around it.  I have a nice place picked out in my operatory for her to spend 2016.   :happy1: :happy1:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
My spot looks a little bare now that I sent it back to you.  I may just have to try a little harder this summer.   :bow:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  Corny13 do you want a picture thread for the rockbass challenge?   

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
That would be Great!! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:   I might just catch the New Minnesota Record ROCKBASS this weekend!!!

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
Kinda quiet around here.. :coffee:...guess it's time next week for me to hit the ROCKBASS hard and sew this challenge up! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: