Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: ASK A MASTER GARDENER:  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
ASK A MASTER GARDENER: Too early to rake? :scratch:

Q: My neighbor is raking her lawn. Isn't it too early? Please say it is. That way I'm being smart, not lazy.

A:
If the lawn squishes underfoot or is still muddy, it's too early to rake. Raking too early in the season uproots grass and provides spots where weeds can muscle into your turf. In general, it's not a good idea to work in the yard or garden when it's wet because it can compact the soil.

More information on early spring lawn care is available at suburbanservices.org/Content/docs/LawnIQ9.pdf

Q: I want to start my own tomatoes from seed this year. Am I too late to plant them?

A: It's still a little early to start tomatoes. Tomatoes should be started five-six weeks before they're transferred to the garden, and you probably don't want to put your garden in before the end of May. There isn't really an advantage to setting tomatoes out early. They won't grow much until the weather warms up anyway.

Be sure to "harden off" your young plants before you put them in the garden. About a week or 10 days before planting, set them outside in a sheltered area for a few hours. Increase their time outside and exposure to sunlight each day. This toughens the plants so they won't die of shock when they are planted outside.

Q: Can I put dog doo in my compost pile?

A: Minnesota Extension doesn't recommend composting pet waste. It can carry diseases that are not killed by the composting process. :doah:
« Last Edit: March 03/22/15, 04:06:19 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
 Instead of using pesticides, set out beer traps for slugs :doah:

Q. I think I heard that you can pour something on hostas that controls the slugs as they emerge. :scratch:

:coffee: .......
A. Slugs overwinter here as adults and eggs, so spring garden cleanup will eliminate many of these pests and their hiding spots. Set out beer traps as the plants emerge in spring. Sink several shallow cans of beer in the garden to trap these pests. Or better yet, turn a half-full bottle on its side. This prevents rains from diluting the beer. The slugs will crawl into the opening, and you'll need to replace the beer less often. Tuck the bottles under your hostas for a neater appearance. Most gardeners find this sufficient to control the slugs. Slug pesticides with the active ingredient iron phosphate can be applied to the soil as soon as the slugs start feeding.
« Last Edit: March 03/27/15, 09:06:12 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again